Movies that are art

qsysue

I think he has a valid point. basically there's a differenct between watching a Stan Brakhage or Jan Svenkmajer film versus some of the movies listed here.

Sadly I think this comes down to an argument about the production/reproduction of art, and the question of intent in what constitutes "art."

I will say, however, that some of the movies listed do indeed exhibit certain qualities that while tied to a very concrete narrative do indeed elicit the same depth of aesthetic moment that any avant garde film would.

More notably of those already mentioned:

Hero (I would also include House of Flying Daggers)

The Kubrick mentions

Lynch for sure

Blade Runner

The Fall (also Tarsem Singh also made The Cell which has some of the same surrealist tendencies)

Holy Mountain by Alejandro Jodorowsky is most certainly an artistic film.

Just a different take on the matter.

Further, this is also a question if Hi art, Lo art. There is tons of great philosophy on the relationship between cinema, art, reproduction of art, and aesthetics in general. Mostly French and German, but that's not really surprising given the phenomenological stance that most of either lineage subscribes to in some respects.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I think he has a valid point. basically there's a differenct between watching a Stan Brakhage or Jan Svenkmajer film versus some of the movies listed here.

Sadly I think this comes down to an argument about the production/reproduction of art, and the question of intent in what constitutes "art."

He doesn't have a valid point if he states all movies are art then contradicts himself by claiming none of the films posted are art.

He's just being a dick.

So whats the difference between this and any of our 20 other movie threads?

I thought this would be about art films but when I looked I was very disappoint.

The only relevant post was symbols, Carry on.

This is thought?

Where is the difference? This thread is in the right sub forum.

Art films? Some have been posted, the thread may deliver more and others are also discussing the artistic merits of mainstream film.

The only relevant post was symbols? You can't be serious...

Seriously, there's nothing constructive anywhere.

Why you always coming in behind me on some lets argue shit?

Wha??

My bad if it seems like that's been happening. Its not intentional at all dude. I would just put you on the ignore list if you bugged me.

I hold no grudges w Internet people, I got enough shit going on in the real world.

Most the time I'm on here I'm not looking at the username next to the comments.

Zoomed in on my Phone so the text is big enough to read and it pushes the username out of the screen to the left.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in the Watch Instantly Thread but I think it has a high art value.

bunny-and-the-bull.jpg

Its about a guys look back into past events. The events are kinda like postcard-esque in the background. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

oh and to break the mood but we can forget this classic...

akira_movie_poster.jpg

que chase scene vid

just rented this tonight, I remember seeing its preview on CH0 way back so I thought Id give it a try. Not too bad. I must say the music aspect with the scenes is larger than most movies. I think it falls into this category whether it be a good movie or not.

Sucker-Punch-Movie1.jpg

• 3 years later...

Trying to resurrect this thread since a few movies popped into my mind today about movies that look/feel like art:

belly-movie-poster-1998-1020186708.jpg

A lot of people remark how this movie, which was directed by famed Hip Hop music video director Hype Williams, looks like one long music video in a sense. Didn't think the movie itself was THAT great, but it had some great visuals, colors, and nice musical chemistry in how it meshed with various scenes. It's seen as a bit of a cult classic among "hood" films.

sc1.jpg

Obvious one. Surprised it wasn't mentioned. I never watched the movie in its entirety but I do remember there was very little to no dialogue but lots of visuals and music thrown in there.

MV5BMjEzNzMzNzQzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjExMTE3Mw@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

"Enter The Void." I just got put on to this and haven't finished it yet. Definitely an unorthodox film. Most of the film is either shot in first person, or this weird behind-the-head third person view behind the main character. Lots of scenes are shot from overhead and various weird angles. Supposed to be based on acid trips and experimental cinematography...

Here's a couple screenshots:

24ENTER-1-articleLarge.jpg

enter-the-void-500.jpg

I actually came in here to say Enter the Void too

Watched it alone after smoking weed for the first time in about a year and it was dope

Bram Stokers Dracula w Keanu prob fits here too