boiiyyyy you better speak dat english, this here is amurica rabble herpa derp...

Cymatics

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really plan to move over learning German is definitely not a bad idea. There are many Brits, Americans etc. living in Berlin but in the rest of the country you won't hear English in everyday life, we even dub all foreign language movies and tv-series...

Also, if your wife often uses German for communication with your son he will automatically become bilingual, don't worry about that.

If you are going to live in a country then you really should learn the language, in my last job I would have to deal with so many people on the phone that could barely speak english and it is really frustrating, then again I don't know their particular circumstances, if they are refugees then they may not have had the time to learn english before fleeing their country.

But if you live somewhere by choice then you should really learn the language,

Decy, sut mae eich Cymraeg yn dod draw?

;)

• Like 1

fy Gymraeg yn dod yn ei flaen diolch dirwy

hahaha well welsh isnt the main language here, I think I can get a pass on not speaking welsh, I dont know many welsh people that can.

also google translator gave me that welsh so dont blame me if it is wrong lol

That's actually spot on. I don't remember bablefish or whatever it was called being that accurate.

You can totally get away with it in South Wales, 'Port especially. You may struggle in West/North Wales, they even speak a different kind of Welsh.

Have you ever seen this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_Wladfa

I saw a documentary on it a while back, they speak Welsh with Spanish accents. It's amazing. How's that for going abroad and not learning the language, eh?

yea I remember a friend of a friend (he was welsh) telling me all about that, really cool. Cann't really imagine anywhere else in the world other than there and Wales tat welsh is going to help you.

Actually I do know someone who speaks welsh but he lives in Bristol!

Damn just noticed Google translator also plays you the translation, just tried it with German and it works spot on. props to google

My friend works for UWCN, does exactly the same job as another girl in her office but gets paid 5 grand a year more just because she's fluent Welsh. She rarely even speaks it.

Every child in every school gets taught basic Welsh now. I think it's awesome, it's our heritage and we should embrace it.

In the UK now if you want to apply for settlement you have to prove you have a good knowledge of English and life in the UK

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/knowledge-language-life/demonstrating/

I think it's a good thing, it must be a comfort for immigrants to stay within their own community but when that happens everyone misses out. We should all be trying to learn about each others culture and fostering a wider sense of community rather than just in small pockets of society. It breeds resentment and ignorance which is never going to end anywhere good.

I dunno, I think maybe if everyone could make a little bit of an effort the world would be a nicer place and there'd be less ignorance/hate.

All that being said I've taken an awful lot of opioids today and I'm not sure I'm making any sense.

that makes sense, even to me and I have been smoking weed all day lol

My son comes home and talks some welsh, it is pretty cool but I dont understand a word of it, apaprt from maybe counting 1-4 (waiting for trains in Newport haha)

I think it is a great thing that we are being a bit harder on people wanting to enter the UK, if they are here by choice then they should make the effort, the only exception I give is to refugees who have fled their country and havent really had a chance to prepare.

• 1 month later...