Chinese scientists genetically modify dairy cows to produce human breast milk

!@#$%

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/chinese-scientists-genetically-modify-dairy-cows-to-produce-human-breast-milk/story-e6frf7lf-1226071579075

Ah, the latest from the agricultural twilight zone of China

CHINESE scientists have genetically modified dairy cows to produce human breast milk, and hope to be selling it in supermarkets within three years.

The milk produced by the transgenic cows is identical to the human variety, with the same immune-boosting and antibacterial qualities as breast milk, scientists at China's Agricultural University in Beijing said.

The transgenic herd of 300 was bred by inserting human genes into cloned cow embryos which were then implanted into surrogate cows, Sky News reported.

The technology used was similar to that used to produce Dolly the sheep, the first mammal to be cloned by scientists, in Scotland.

The milk is still undergoing safety tests, but with government permission will be sold to consumers as a more nutritious dairy drink than cow's milk.

Workers at the university's dairy farm have already tasted the milk - and said it is sweeter and stronger than the bovine variety.

"It's good," said worker Jiang Yao. "It's better for you because it's genetically modified."

The scientists have also produced animals that are resistant to mad cow disease, as well as beef cattle that are genetically modified to produce more nutritious meat.

The director of the research project, Professor Li Ning, said Western concerns about the ethics of genetic modification are misplaced.

"There are 1.5 billion people in the world who don't get enough to eat," he said.

"It's our duty to develop science and technology, not to hold it back. We need to feed people first, before we consider ideals and convictions."

hmmm..... methinks we don't yet know the consequences of GMO. tsk tsk

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i wonder how long it will be before we genetically modify a cow with human tits.. or one that grows human body parts that we can then harvest and use for replacing ones lost by amputees.

that would be pretty gnarly, taking a trip through nebraska and looking out the window to see a whole herd of mutant cows waving at you with arms growing out of their back and shit.also i bet they would taste delicious, i always wondered what human flesh tasted like, and in a couple years i might be able to buy one in burger form at mcdonalds or wendies.

actually we are already growing human body parts on other animals, i don't think any have been transplanted yet

hahaha human flesh burgers. one way to population control and a good food supply haha

mouse-human-ear.jpg?w=344&h=229

human ear, grown by mouse

• Like 1

thank you, that be ten minute....

shit, beat me to the punch...

Genes have to be in the biproducts of animals right? so, i'm just guessing ingesting genetically modified stuff could mutate randomly (cancer) especially in future generations? THAT'S population control! God Bless Colon Cancer!

Ok fair enough, but what about the generational consequenses, what kind of genetic package are these mutations passing on to their offspring? Or are they sterile, in which case this manipulation will have to be repeated ad nasuiem. I just don't think this was very well thought out. I am a big fan of science, but science with ethical restraint.

^ yup, i was reminded of A Modest Proposal for some reason

even as a molecular biologist, i am very wary of this kinda tech, and not sure we've vetted it enough

if i went to school to have an actual title, i'd use every opportunity I got to reference it too.

:p

just picking

eviltrailer i agree with you

i don't know enough about the cows to say whether or not they are fertile and if they are being bred.

i'd suppose for cost efficiency they'd just start a breeding line to supply the lactating ones.

fuck that is so weird.

nsmb, it's mainly a reference that i know what i'm talking about. also nothing wrong with letting the kids know staying in school can be a good thing. it's not about boasting.

• 1 month later...

We should not be so surprised about this new breakthrough in genetic engineering because it is just the beginning for higher discoveries. Cows are not only the target of genetic engineering because even dogs find no escape. Meet Tegon, the glow in the dark beagle. Experts in South Korea have genetically designed a glow-in-the-dark Beagle. The pup will aid researchers in finding new ways to deal with illnesses. Source for this article: Scientists create glow in the dark Beagle.

I'm generally conflicted on this whole issue.

On one hand, there may be significant, unforeseen issues with genetic engineering in terms of impact on people and the environment.

On the other hand, genetic engineering has the potential to revolutionise medicine, agriculture, etc. in a positive way.