Queen's visit to Ireland

UPS!

I know im about a week late on this, but I havent had the time in the past week to really post something substantial about this.

I already know how I feel about it, strong opinion about it and ill discuss my position after a few people post their 2 cents. Im not Irish, nor British so my feeling about the situation is both biased and un-biased at the same time.

Id like to know what people on here feel about the Queens recent visit to Ireland, being the first Monarch to do so in over 100 years.

Do you feel it was positive, negative, too soon, too late, inadequate, pointless, unimportant or monumental?

How do you feel about the current political atmosphere in Ireland, both north and south.

How do you feel about the protestors and those oppossed to the visit?

And for shits and giggles the Thirty million(plus) dollars spent on security for only a day or so of a visit from British royalty.

I just thought it was an interesting event that didnt catch alot of media attention I felt

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

All seems completely pointless in my view, not to mntion a complete waste of money.

The people that want to be part of the UK are obviously going to be happy she came, but her visit isn't really going to make much difference to the people that don't want anything to do with the UK.

Then again I am very anti Royals anyway so you are hardly going to hear me offering any support from them, everything they do seems to be one big PR exercise.

I haven't been paying much attention to what is going on in Ireland at the moment, dunno why but I have so much stress in my life that it seems to make me pay less attention to what is going on in the world. Everytime I try to catch the news and read up on everything I just can't be assed, always seems to be the same shit different day.

• Like 1

I would have been annoyed if I were Irish though, especially when she visited Croke Park, seems like it was a weak lip service to a terrible tradegy in the history of a country.

You will find a lot of UK/European issues dont get discussed much in here because most users are American and don't really follow or are that interested in what happens over here (not all though some people are more knowledgable than me).

I was gonna start a thread about Mladic or the ecoli outbreak in Germany but I doubt many people would contribute.

I would have been annoyed if I were Irish though, especially when she visited Croke Park, seems like it was a weak lip service to a terrible tradegy in the history of a country.

then the same can be said everytime gerry adams or martin mcguinness go to omagh or eniskillen?

she didnt go to ireland to stick two fingers up to everybody who was affected by the troubles which is what alot of people think. the majority of people here, protestant and catholic believe that only good can come from the visit and it just shows how far we have come that a british monarch can go to dublin and very little trouble actually takes place.

even so, i dont believe it will make any difference here at all. theres still about 5 or 6 bomb scares a day you hear of and some most even make the news. its only a matter of time befoe theres another catastrophe and no visit by the queen or anybody else will be able to stop it

then the same can be said everytime gerry adams or martin mcguinness go to omagh or eniskillen?

she didnt go to ireland to stick two fingers up to everybody who was affected by the troubles which is what alot of people think. the majority of people here, protestant and catholic believe that only good can come from the visit and it just shows how far we have come that a british monarch can go to dublin and very little trouble actually takes place.

even so, i dont believe it will make any difference here at all. theres still about 5 or 6 bomb scares a day you hear of and some most even make the news. its only a matter of time befoe theres another catastrophe and no visit by the queen or anybody else will be able to stop it

Gerry Adams is a strange fellow and he does provoke alot of tension, and I dont know if hes serious about cutting ties with the IRA, probably since its RIRA and its not even the same organization anymore.

I dont feel the queen purposely went to Ireland in a way to unsult the Irish who were affected by the troubles, its just easy to see how it could be seen as a provokative move.

I really dont understand how a country can control land thats part of another country, and Island no less, I dont care how many British live there, its still Ireland and should be part of the other counties.

Thats like Canada taking Maine, NH, and Vermont from the US just becuse its strategic and alot of Canadians lived there.

Ive heard from alot of diffrent sources that the situation over there was getting worse and that every year seemed to be reverting back to an enviroment where another ''Troubles'' could pop off on any given day.

Again I am an American whose never been to Ireland so I wouldnt know, but what segment of the population would you say is sympathetic to republican cause/32 movement and the like?

Why is Hawaii part of America? It is also an island.

I didn't mean that the queen went there to insult, I just thought it didn't do anything positive.

I do find it offensive the Gerry Adams and people like him are allowed the voices they have, they have so many people's blood on their hands but then again they are now politicians and we know enough of them have blood on their hands too

Thats like Canada taking Maine, NH, and Vermont from the US just becuse its strategic and alot of Canadians lived there.

but if the majority of people believed they were canadian and wanted their state to be a part of canada would it not be right then? it should be up to the people after all. i was brought up as a unionist and believe that we should be part of the uk but if the majority of the population wanted to be a part of ireland i would have no choice but to accept it. i wouldnt go out and bomb and kill to change it

Ive heard from alot of diffrent sources that the situation over there was getting worse and that every year seemed to be reverting back to an enviroment where another ''Troubles'' could pop off on any given day.

im almost 100% sure the trouble will happen again and as much as i hate to say it, there is no avoiding it. the dissidents are mostly ex provos as far as i know and their not going to just give up on what theyve been fighting for for 30 years. on the other hand, if there is ever a united ireland will the loyalists just lie down and accept it? both sides feel just as strongly about it today as they ever did and one decision isnt going to please everyone.

Again I am an American whose never been to Ireland so I wouldnt know, but what segment of the population would you say is sympathetic to republican cause/32 movement and the like?

the media are saying that the dissidents are a just small group but i think support for them is growing, probably because there have been very few fatalities so far. most bomb scares turn out to be hoaxes and theyre mainly meant to cause disruption i think unless theyre just really shite at making bombs. the dissidents gain nothing from killing innocent people and what they did to ronan kerr and the two soldiers outside the army barracks in antrim did them no favours

• Like 1

I didn't mean that the queen went there to insult, I just thought it didn't do anything positive.

well i sort of agree with this but i just think it shows us how times have changed. it might not have helped much but it didnt do any harm in my opinion

Why is Hawaii part of America? It is also an island.

I do find it offensive the Gerry Adams and people like him are allowed the voices they have, they have so many people's blood on their hands but then again they are now politicians and we know enough of them have blood on their hands too

Hawaii is part of America becuse it either agreed or was forced into the soverinty of the United States. It was a strategic military set up, in waters that the US deemed under its command, and its obviously not a bad place to visit.

That being said I understand your point, the diffrence however is that its not 85% under its own control and then a few counties are owned by the US.

And I dont have much to say about Gerry that you havent already said, just about every politician has blood on their hands, its just that his is more direct than sending troops off to war, supporting war legislation, and taxing citizens to fund bombs.

but if the majority of people believed they were canadian and wanted their state to be a part of canada would it not be right then? it should be up to the people after all. i was brought up as a unionist and believe that we should be part of the uk but if the majority of the population wanted to be a part of ireland i would have no choice but to accept it. i wouldnt go out and bomb and kill to change it

im almost 100% sure the trouble will happen again and as much as i hate to say it, there is no avoiding it. the dissidents are mostly ex provos as far as i know and their not going to just give up on what theyve been fighting for for 30 years. on the other hand, if there is ever a united ireland will the loyalists just lie down and accept it? both sides feel just as strongly about it today as they ever did and one decision isnt going to please everyone.

the media are saying that the dissidents are a just small group but i think support for them is growing, probably because there have been very few fatalities so far. most bomb scares turn out to be hoaxes and theyre mainly meant to cause disruption i think unless theyre just really shite at making bombs. the dissidents gain nothing from killing innocent people and what they did to ronan kerr and the two soldiers outside the army barracks in antrim did them no favours

I can agree to that, the problem would come as I see it if a large segment of the population however didnt want it even if a majority or even slim majority did. Not to mention the rest of the country and its citizens could be oppossed to giving away part of itself, even if they dont live there per say, like id still want California under US control even if I dont live there becuse its always been part of my nation, and id like to go there being under the same rules as my country. I do agree though it is ultimately the peoples decision, and bombing and killing can never prove a point from an insuregency standpoint.

Yeah, ive been feeling that way as well and you would certainly know the political climate much more than I do, I just read as much as I can about the situation but that could never substitute actually knowing how the people truley feel. Itd be a shame if the troubles re-occurred becuse as always alot of innocent people lost their lives, but if thats how people feel then the path of war can sometimes not be avoided.

The media always tries to downplay a situation, just like I read a newspaper stating that only a few dozen people counter protested the queens visit only to see videos of clearly a hundred or more people in the streets. What did the movement in as I see it was the Omagh bombing since it was such a high casualty rate and it was so publicized. However like you stated due to no civillian fatalities in recent years I could see how feeling could turn back to their favor. As for the constable and the soilders I dont know how that made people feel over there, but atleast from a socio-political standpoint it could be seen as more acceptable due to them not being civillains.

I can agree to that, the problem would come as I see it if a large segment of the population however didnt want it even if a majority or even slim majority did. Not to mention the rest of the country and its citizens could be oppossed to giving away part of itself, even if they dont live there per say, like id still want California under US control even if I dont live there becuse its always been part of my nation, and id like to go there being under the same rules as my country. I do agree though it is ultimately the peoples decision, and bombing and killing can never prove a point from an insuregency standpoint.

yea, and thats exactly what its going to come down to because i think its pretty close to exactly half of the country want it one way and the other half want it the other. at the minute, going by election results and what not i would say unionists have a slight majority over the nationalists and the voter turnout in unionist areas is less as well, so if we were given a referendum on the situation, i think it would stay the way it is, but that could change in a few years.