Zines, booklets - Publishing help! InDesign and all that stuff.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Good thread, thanks to all people adding constructive input!

I want to do a black & white zine, photos mainly,

and I'd like the look and (haptic) feel to be 'blunt', 'deeply black',

and definately the total opposite of glossy.

Like this, basically:

6060432104_47d059ab3d_b.jpg

I do believe this is done with old, non-digital printers - the kind you in the states refer to as 'Xerox' machines?

All the copy shops I went to have modern, digital ones, the prints look different.

I asked a guy about it, he told me to get an old inkjet printer and use that at home,

but i think it would look different & I would spend a fortune on those fucking catridges.

Can someone tell me what kind of printers excactly I should search for?

Is here somebody from Berlin, who can point me to a copyshop that has such an old machine?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day!

Get the old inkjet printer

maybe print one copy out and then "Fotokopie" the rest.

Also if you print it on less glossy paper you'll get the non glossy look.

Also maybe you can try refilling the cartridges if they run out - not sure how but if you succeed let me know.

I would like to do a photocopied mag but then I had to pay nearly as much to copy as to print so fuck it I went for better quality.

Yo Deine, got your messages, but forgot to pay my internet bill again. I sent the zine out, so it's all good.

Let me know when you get it, I'll be down to trade when you produce something.

Schnitzel I might hit you up with some photo contributions for your next zine. Thinking about grabbing a digital camera again to document the Sydney scene. Mainly for myself, but it's been a while since I've done that shit. Would be down to contribute.

The first one will be about a group of people (a community of some sorts) i was part of long time.

It's mostly about these peoples, so rather 'personal', I will ask them whether they're ok with it is

going to be shared with the 'public'.

The second will be about this fucking city in general.

'Street photography' you could say.

That one will be up for sale / trade for sure!

Another question for those who know stuff about Photoshop, and copy machines.

- What I want to do is print greyscale images.

- Beforehand, I want to 'raster' them, so the image only consists of black dots / points, the denseness of which creating the different shades of grey.

- As of now, I came across two ways of doing this in PS - 'Image' > 'Mode' > 'Bitmap' > 'Halftone screen...', and 'Filter' > 'Pixelate' > 'Color Halftone'.

(which is kind of a different thing, but if that prints well it'd be an otion for me)

- Basically I want to have a bitmap image, containing of only black and white dots / pixels.

So I was wondering it would be a good idea to create a document in the excact size it will be printed later,

and 'rasterize' it at the excact 'resolution' ("output"-dialogue in PS's 'Bitmap' menu) the copy machine prints it at.

SO... do copy machines actually print at fixed, or 'native' resolutions?

Sorry if this is explained a little circitous, but english isn't my native language..

Thanks in advance for any help!

Good thread, thanks to all people adding constructive input!

I want to do a black & white zine, photos mainly,

and I'd like the look and (haptic) feel to be 'blunt', 'deeply black',

and definately the total opposite of glossy.

Like this, basically:

I do believe this is done with old, non-digital printers - the kind you in the states refer to as 'Xerox' machines?

All the copy shops I went to have modern, digital ones, the prints look different.

I asked a guy about it, he told me to get an old inkjet printer and use that at home,

but i think it would look different & I would spend a fortune on those fucking catridges.

Can someone tell me what kind of printers excactly I should search for?

Is here somebody from Berlin, who can point me to a copyshop that has such an old machine?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day!

this zine was actually printed on an old Ryobi offset printing press from the early 80s. A similar quality can be achieved with xerox machines. Check your local classifieds or craigslist for lazer printers and xerox machines then experiment. in the meantime show some support and buy a zine: http://dirtyartpress.bigcartel.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

These aren't exactly zines, but various publications I have made or been involved in making over the last year or two that I figured I could share here.....

2 colour Screen printed booklet/A1 poster on reverse

11.gif

10.gif

1.gif

2.gif

4.gif

Myself and a friend worked on this together, an exhibition catalogue for the graduates of a textile design course. Each book was wrapped in a screen printed fabric dust jacket, each of 700 was completely different.....

2.gif

1.gif

3.gif

4.gif

well 3 of the 5 projects I posted had large budgets, 3000+

the first fold up booklet, and the black/silver book were made by hand

as once offs!

there is something alot nicer about the DIY aspect of those 2!

keep em coming schnitzel! they're sick