Kitchens! > Gadgets, Equipment, Supplies, Reference Material, Ingredients and Dreams <

!@#$%

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

that fiestaware is sweet. i love my dishes though.

publicenemy i'm usually of the mind that it's worth it to wait longer and get the higher-end appliance/cookware or else you just have to buy the thing again in a few years when the crappy one craps out.

just sayin.

so glad you got a kitchenaid! they are fuckin suhweet, i've been using one since i could help momma

i have her old beast of a food processor, one of the original cuisinarts. sucky to clean but still so powerful and makes a mean pie crust.

• 2 weeks later...

oh jesus christ another thread i can nerd out in... ill have to come back with some photos soon, Duty Free has my discerning taste factor maxing out...

probably the only dude in here rocking Shun knives, All Clad Copper Core cook ware and a fucking Pistachio Kitchen Aid mixer. haha

For cast iron some say to just wipe down with paper towel unless it is pretty dirty, I always wash.

If it needs more than a light scrub with a sponge I pour a couple teaspoons of salt in the pan with just a little water and scrub. You can also cut a lemon in half and use it like a little scrubby with salt. It is of course fine to use like a scrubby thing, the deal is to not use soap because it will get under the "cure" and to make sure to dry things off really well. If the oven is still warm from cooking I will sometimes throw the pan in there after washing to be sure it gets dry, just have to be sure to pull it out before pre-heating the next time around.

i just wipe mine out with a towel or paper towel, then light coat of olive oil and bake for a bit w/ some kosher salt. (400* for 15 minutes or so). and then light coat of oil once the pan has cooled.

thats how i was taught when i first started in restaurants and i've seen and heard about a hundred different methods.

edit: if you've got some heavy chunks of stuff burnt to the pan use a steel pan scrubber--its like iron wool kind of. and then do the cleaning/seasoning process

Thanks dudes. I just used a wet kitchen towel

Gonna have to do that treatment process tho

Now that that is outta the way, how do I cook a steak on this thing?

I'm guessing it's not as simple as with a grill.

I cooked some burgers on it the other night and it took some getting used to lol

• 4 months later...

If you have heavy duty ventilation then get it super hot throw some salt on it and cook that fucker up.

If you do not have heavy duty ventilation sear on the stove top and transfer to oven.

0.02 on cast iron steak cookery

On the dream kitchen subject ventilation would be on the list, something powerful and quiet.

we got this delonghi espresso maker for a wedding present. i was pretty happy with it until it just stopped working about a week ago. it was a pretty cheap model, so i wasn't expecting it to last forever. when i called customer support about the problem though, those fuckers wouldn't honor the warranty because apparently it starts from the day it is put on the store shelf and not the purchase date. we had the fucking thing for less than four months! we ended up getting a gift card from bergner's for registering there for our wedding and put it towards a new one from some company called capresso. it's much nicer but still pretty cheap. it is nice as fuck to make my own capucchino every morning though.

That is a new level of low there having the warranty start before possession of the product is taken. Does that then mean that if defective the warranty becomes void if the product sits on the shelf for long enough?

I am now in the market for a new coffee machine myself as the Zojirushi I got a few months ago turned out to be a pile.

I have an older GE refrigerator, an older GE gas stove, a Cuisinart sandwich maker, a 4 cup Hamilton Beach coffee maker, and a GE microwave that I do not put plastic in either. As far as pots and pans go, every pot and pan that I have has been given to me used and most of them are very tarnished. My pizza pan has quarter inch holes in it throughout the whole thing, for reasons unknown. My most prized kitchen possession is my Presto large pressure cooker. I also recently received a book called "Penny Pincher's Almanac" published by Reader's Digest which has some "surprising ideas for getting the most value out of your money, home, and possessions".

• 1 month later...

So, I just got my espresso maker in the mail yesterday and it works great. I got a Saeco Vienna Plus

http://www.amazon.com/Saeco-4038-15-Bar-Pump-Super-Automatic-Espresso/dp/B002PI82P0

I first used this machine at work and was told that a few years back, after doing some work in Europe, one of the heads insisted on getting this machine. I figure if it can hold up to years of daily use from a bunch of drillers and keep on trucking that it is a good sign for longevity.

I like that there is no digital display or computer which is what you get if you go up in price, looks to me like the same machines but with more buttons and crome.

I have an older GE refrigerator, an older GE gas stove, a Cuisinart sandwich maker, a 4 cup Hamilton Beach coffee maker, and a GE microwave that I do not put plastic in either. As far as pots and pans go, every pot and pan that I have has been given to me used and most of them are very tarnished. My pizza pan has quarter inch holes in it throughout the whole thing, for reasons unknown. My most prized kitchen possession is my Presto large pressure cooker. I also recently received a book called "Penny Pincher's Almanac" published by Reader's Digest which has some "surprising ideas for getting the most value out of your money, home, and possessions".

I could be wrong, but I think the reason it has these is for even heat distribution.

• 1 year later...