How hard is it to derail a train?

Dr. Dose

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Derailments happen alot more than you think. Crazy train wrecks is probally what your thinking about isn't as common.

seriously. LOTS of trains derail. when someone hears that word they think catastrophe. but it could be 1 car went off the rail onto the ground and didnt even fall on its side.

if someone was trying to derail a train it wouldnt be very hard at all.

i was painting last year and the engine rolled up so we went to the woods.

then they picked up the car we'd been painting and started leaving with it

we're watching, and then all the sudden they stop

then they are just sitting there for fucking ever.

finally we just left, it was nighttime and we had no idea wtf they were doing

next day we go back to see wtf happened, train had derailed... just the rear wheel set came off the tracks. didn't even make noise. took em awhile to fix that spot :(

One time a switcher with just a couple cars dropped one car on the ground on a dinky branch through the woods. It was a spot that always pissed us off because the two ends of it (mainline connection point and customer layup) were unpaintable and the only two spots they ever left cars, yet the wooded middle portion would have been a perfect spot. Well it was, for that one night. I rocked an e2e, they fixed it the next day, never painted that spot before or since.

I've seen a couple of weird 1-car derailments, two where a boxcar tilted sideways 45 degrees and was just sitting there at what looked like an impossible angle; and one time a boxcar went off and took a welded rail with it, so that for over 100 feet the rail came up from the ground and was just hanging 3 feet in the air like a guardrail with no posts.

• 2 weeks later...

We put a RR spike on A line tracks between Broad Channel and Howard Beach one day thinking it would flatten out huge. We were just kids and didn't know words like "malleability" or "ductility".

Didn't derail the train, but the head car jumped up about a foot off the rail and came down with a bang that you could have heard in the BX.

Anyway...

Massive derailments happen when the train is moving pretty fast, one car comes off the rail and there's a chain reaction through the train.

Slow speed it's usually pretty minor.

My grandfather was an engineer and a train he was driving derailed. I don't know any details except my mom said the train was carrying mail. I think she has a newspaper clipping, I should get her to scan it and email it to me.

• 7 months later...
We put a RR spike on A line tracks between Broad Channel and Howard Beach one day thinking it would flatten out huge. We were just kids and didn't know words like "malleability" or "ductility".

Didn't derail the train, but the head car jumped up about a foot off the rail and came down with a bang that you could have heard in the BX.

lol... fuck man!!