underground music

mapo wc

why is it that so many people jock underground shit and hate on anything that more than 10 people have heard of? this has long been the state of affairs in punk music and metal, but its the same way with hip hop nowadays.

it just seems that its considered 'cool' to listen to shit that nobody else does. any artist who can afford to buy anything more expensive than romen noodles is a sellout.

most of the underground is fucking shit. in fact i think most people that exclusively listen to underground shit do it more for their image than anything else. they like the idea of being different, not going along with the norm, not supporting the big labels, etc.

i dont listen to much punk or alternative - but i know firsthand that alot of the most mainstream hip hop acts are light years ahead of the most jocked underground cats.

eminem, jay-z, tupac, biggie, nas, wu tang, outkast...even 'middleground' rappers like mos def, talib kweli, big l, the roots..the list goes on and on. all those people i named hold it down in hip hop. is there any underground rappers that can even come close to anyone i named?

even hated-on cats like nelly, juvenile, ludacris, etc.

they all have talent. theyre not trying to blow your mind with lyricism, or give you something to think about on a deep topic. theyre trying to give you something to dance to and get your adrenaline going. and also let you live vicariously through them for a while. while theyre boasting about fast cars, money, women, etc its cool to sometimes lay back and envision your life being like that. its almost like a soundtrack for your daydreams. if you cant just listen to 'back that ass up' and dance like an idiot while you imagine yourself being a big time baller, then youre probably analyzing music too much, or you just dont get it. but just because you dont like it doesnt mean its bad, or any less hip hop than mos def.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah, i agree. kids just get all up on underground shit, because they feel elite. like they feel they know something few people do. but of course if you actually like it despite the fact that its underground and that makes it special, thats cool.

i guess cats like ludacris and juvenile etc, serve good entertainment and sometimes is music you can bob your head to, but i'm not feeling that shit when it all comes down to production. yeah, i guess its fun. whatever. i don't know.

Guest BROWNer

i have alot of trouble listening to anything remotely normal

and/or popular. not becuz i'm trying to be cool. i don't think

these 'artists'(which is an arguable term to me)should starve

either........i just personally have a real hard time finding anything

interesting about pop music that is primarily the same as it was

30 years ago. i've been beaten over the head with that format,

sound and structure of music. as far as your hiphop references....

blah...if you want booty tunes, fine. i find most of the big rap shit

these days to be totally soulless. to me its got this really dry quality

to it coupled with monotony. then there's the cliches of both

genres, musical and otherwise(videos, stage 'moves', dress, attitude...)..

its just played. IMO. i also don't think there's such a thing as thinking

about music too much..taking a cerebral approach..'analysing' as you put it........

i dont think any of them mainstream cats have talent..eminem is probley the only one but he makes music nowadays for preteen bitches who want to piss their parents off..they dont even produce their own shit..fuck em..as far as kids that could slaughter mos def and big l and them...esoteric.atmosphere.supernatural.adeem. quite a few heads..big L was nice but they arent the nicest..all the new rawkus shit is for kids that just got off no limits dick and say theyre changing their tastes.

Originally posted by cmeup

yea no fucking shit man

i hate that shit...if it aint this this and this...it aint hip hop...fucking whining like some god dam girls!

teaser

it is not in my book. as far as i am concerned any of those fucks can catch a slug but they never would because they arent even living like that..they claim to but they are all signed for their "thug image"..bullshit..come up from the underground with a thug rep i got respect..come up out of nowhere like these ja rule fucks i would like to hack them up.

i generally dont like top forty or popular music. it just doesn't sound good. i dont like it NOT just because its famous, i just dont like it. The way i see it is the average person isn't a music lover. by this i mean, they just turn on the radio and wait for something to catch their ear. in order to do this, pop artists make their music very palitable by keeping it simple, repeating the same line over and over until it sticks in your head. i tried playing some older aceyalone for the guys at my work who like jiggy stuff and they liked only a little. i mean they like DMX, i explained to them that i didn't like DMX cuz he the songs i always hear on the radio has no rhyming skill, he just hollars bullshit and catch phrases. there's no flow. i tell them eminem or jayz can actually flow, but they dont hear the difference.

my anaolgy is fast food. there's a mcdonalds or KFC on every corner, its convenient and everyone eats there. at the same time theres one small hole in the wall foreign cuisine diner that's way more tasty and authentic, but not many people eat there. only certain people have the palate and appreciation for different food.

Whats so important about underground music is that its pure expression thats not limited by a record company trying to make your music marketable. its just funny that the music usually catches on a few years later THEN the exact same music is marketable.

so yes, i do think that undergound music is relatively important in the grand scheme of all that is music

hip hop was an underground phenomenon in the seventies. hip hop went commercial fast, so the late-nieties push for the return of underground hiphop is long over due.

all the metal and punk bands were influenced by underground bands. even madonna is producing tracks with upcoming little-known producers. she knows where to look.

mark my words, Atmosphere and Aesop Rock will be huge in a few years

anyway, i do think that trying to be elite for liking underground music is quite petty

Originally posted by graffsurgeon

come up from the underground with a thug rep i got respect..come up out of nowhere like these ja rule fucks i would like to hack them up.

Why is it cool to be "thug." What the fuck is wrong with our culture when we really think it's respectable to present ones' self as something that stands for most of the negative aspects of humanity. Fuck thugs in general.

It's funny because when they play a song fifty times on the radio it only makes me NOT want to buy that album because I've already heard the fucking thing enough to be sick of it! I generally buy music I've heard very little of, or only heard about- if I could afford to walk into a music store and drop a couple hundred dollars on albums then I might pick up something catchy I heard on the radio, just for grins. Until then, I will wait until I find it used or in the super-savers section.

Re: Re: underground music

Originally posted by Unregistered

Maybe these type of guys are trying to let people live vicariously through them, but what they're doing in the process is getting rich off of gimmicks while reducing their fans to half-assed, sheep-like clones and making it even harder for people with a lot more to offer to be heard.

I just can't enjoy shit like Jay-z, or Biggie, or Nas, etc. that's based on glamour and selfishness.

What? Have you heard reasonable doubt or the blueprint? have you heard ready to die? does illmatic or stillmatic ring a bell?

their shit isnt based on glamour and selfishness. thats the image alot of them give out..but to hear songs like ten crack commandments, h to the izzo (it has a catchy hook but some deep verses), the whole illmatic album, one mic, etc. you would see they offer so much more than glamour and selfishness. and if they are living wealthy, whats wrong with talking about it? is it only cool to rhyme about reality when reality is the rugged street life?

"Fuckin dope. Such a sick flow, writes about a variety of shit, innovative, as creative as they come." you said that about blackalicious. couldnt the same be said for outkast, nas, or eminem? in fact if i had to choose between outkast and blackalicious as who deserved that statement more, i'd say outkast. nobody can touch andre 3000's delivery, and their creativity and diversiveness are insane.

Originally posted by Unregistered

Why is it cool to be "thug." What the fuck is wrong with our culture when we really think it's respectable to present ones' self as something that stands for most of the negative aspects of humanity. Fuck thugs in general.

it's not cool but the kids living like that should be speaking it..if they go that style..some thugs rhyme on some intellectual shit..its all different styles but i dont think tellling fibs fits in there..

not another one of these...heres my input...i listen to strictly underground...i dont really have a problem with mainstream, i used to listen to it....but a friend of mine got me into underground and i just liked it better....as far as lyrical content goes...i could really care less if the rap about money and hoes or the hardships of living in an urban enviorment...im even down with the lootpack's soundpieces:the antidote which is basicly nothing but this shit is wack, that shit is wack, you are wack, everything put out by mainstream is wack....however right now, i am really really feeling aesop rock simply because he ranks as one of the best mcs ive ever heard and his lyrics take a ton of listenings to understand and decipher....ive listened to his labor days album hundreds of times and even now each time is listen to it i get some more out of it...amazing album that everyone should own...i currently feel early-mid 90's rap too...wutang 36 chambers, nas illmatic, roots organix and do you want more, das efx hold it down...souls of mischief 93 til infinity ect ect ect,,,i just find the older rap and beats very appealing to the ear....again...i have no problem with mainstream other than not liking most of the lyrical styles put out by them and the bouncy beats dont do much for me either...i could care less what they rap about....

the reason why i listen to underground music is i can sit there and listen to it. its like reading a book but hearing someone rap about it coming from their mind.

im not gonna sit there and dream about being rich. money has no meaning anymore.

i have tried to listen to mainstream rap. and i just dont feel it one bit. it just seems so pointless and everyone of those rappers on mtv tries to show themselves as being a thug. i mean why do u wanna be recognized as a thug?.. wouldnt you rather be recognized as something else?.. i mean damn. look at the people in your school. they look up to these artist. they follow the clothes,talk, way of style,etc.

im not strictly underground. if i see an artist i recognize as talented,,,puts dedication into his work and busts out a video on mtv. i will like him. it has to be all about the artist.

for now the music i like is in the underground...

Archived