Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whitepower

Your iPhone is secretly tracking you.

Anyone know anything about this? I don't own a cell phone anymore but this is kinda interesting i guess.

New Delhi: Apple iPhones and 3G iPads running on iOS 4.0 or above keep a tab on users' location and store the data into a hidden file. This was revealed by two UK-based security researchers, Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden.

In a post on O'Reilly Radar, Alasdair Allan says they are "not sure why Apple is gathering this data, but it's clearly intentional, as the database is being restored across backups, and even device migrations."

The feature is undocumented and it logs the device's location (longitude/latitude) along with timestamps. The data can be accessible from any computer used to sync the iPhone or iPad. Moreover the data is also not encrypted or protected and therefore can be misused if it falls in the wrong hands.

read more.v

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/your-iphone-is-secretly-tracking-you/149784-11.html?from=hp

How is this a secret?

Anything with a GPS in it keeps track of where you go.

Don't waste your money on technology that is designed to keep tabs on you for big brother.

Problem solved.

• Like 1

In a post on O'Reilly Radar,

^This is the part that pisses me off the most.

I love it how these same exact right wing assholes who were downplaying this type of shit during the Bush years, shitting all over people like Micheal Moore and calling everybody a conspiracy theorist, are all of a sudden hopping on the conspiracy wagon and and "informing the public" of some of what goes on now that it's a black president.

Trying to play like it's some new shit.

Next thing you know they're gonna be saying that the Democrats led by a Illinois senator named Obama knocked down the World Trade towers.

It dont take no researchers with a degree to figure this shit out, if you got a smart phone like the iphone, android whatever that shit tells you to your face that its gonna use location based services if your using the damn device. Give me a degree in engineering and i can tell you my left nut hangs lower than my right one.

i dunno, shits still fucked up to me everytime i hear/read this shit.

which is becomming more and more common.

everybodys running scared, yet the easiest, most random, disposable form of privacy is staring you and the people we dont knowing the things we keep a secret right in the face.

email. random. email(s) & accounts.

is email tough to crack? absolutely not, common knowledge. but random email, and random email accounts so disposable and so free its only fools continuing to beleive blackberry pins, throw away prepaid phones that nobody reallly throws away when they should and/or any other device people walk on broken glass daily is/are safe.

i mean, if you gotta number that rings. and consistancy is of utmost importance ok. thats one thing. but if yer playin with chips and devise an unchargable code of randomness to set up handshakes n coffee talk, as out in the open and strange as it may sound.

use email, random fucking email.

i dunno, shits still fucked up to me everytime i hear/read this shit.

which is becomming more and more common.

everybodys running scared, yet the easiest, most random, disposable form of privacy is staring you and the people we dont knowing the things we keep a secret right in the face.

email. random. email(s) & accounts.

is email tough to crack? absolutely not, common knowledge. but random email, and random email accounts so disposable and so free its only fools continuing to beleive blackberry pins, throw away prepaid phones that nobody reallly throws away when they should and/or any other device people walk on broken glass daily is/are safe.

i mean, if you gotta number that rings. and consistancy is of utmost importance ok. thats one thing. but if yer playin with chips and devise an unchargable code of randomness to set up handshakes n coffee talk, as out in the open and strange as it may sound.

use email, random fucking email.

donut-seeds-20091111-222834.jpg

Just don't be an idiot!

Leave your phone behind when you go do some dirt.... Maybe you cOuld even use this to your advantage.

"MY IPHONE GPS DATA GAVE ME AN AIRTIGHT ALIBI!"

I expect that if you just turn it off it wouldnt be able to track you though. Take out the battery?

Just don't be an idiot!

Leave your phone behind when you go do some dirt.... Maybe you cOuld even use this to your advantage.

"MY IPHONE GPS DATA GAVE ME AN AIRTIGHT ALIBI!"

nice lol

There was a bit of a scandal in NY from a few years back, about the feds remotely tuning into mobsters phones (the kind with the walkie chirp action motion) and using their discourses as evidence. They could do this even when the phones were turned off. Not with battery out though, I believe.

Once the information gathering and surveillance systems are wide spread and commonplace, its only a matter of centralization and integration before we are fucked, ensnared. Look at chicagos giant camera system. It incorporates city as well as private cameras that were in place before the program was implemented into a centralized system, monitored in real time. that was 4-5 years ago. I can only imagine whats in store for the future.

• Like 1

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now