Your iPhone is secretly tracking you.

whitepower

Anyone know anything about this? I don't own a cell phone anymore but this is kinda interesting i guess.

New Delhi: Apple iPhones and 3G iPads running on iOS 4.0 or above keep a tab on users' location and store the data into a hidden file. This was revealed by two UK-based security researchers, Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden.

In a post on O'Reilly Radar, Alasdair Allan says they are "not sure why Apple is gathering this data, but it's clearly intentional, as the database is being restored across backups, and even device migrations."

The feature is undocumented and it logs the device's location (longitude/latitude) along with timestamps. The data can be accessible from any computer used to sync the iPhone or iPad. Moreover the data is also not encrypted or protected and therefore can be misused if it falls in the wrong hands.

read more.v

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/your-iphone-is-secretly-tracking-you/149784-11.html?from=hp

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

In a post on O'Reilly Radar,

^This is the part that pisses me off the most.

I love it how these same exact right wing assholes who were downplaying this type of shit during the Bush years, shitting all over people like Micheal Moore and calling everybody a conspiracy theorist, are all of a sudden hopping on the conspiracy wagon and and "informing the public" of some of what goes on now that it's a black president.

Trying to play like it's some new shit.

Next thing you know they're gonna be saying that the Democrats led by a Illinois senator named Obama knocked down the World Trade towers.

It dont take no researchers with a degree to figure this shit out, if you got a smart phone like the iphone, android whatever that shit tells you to your face that its gonna use location based services if your using the damn device. Give me a degree in engineering and i can tell you my left nut hangs lower than my right one.

i dunno, shits still fucked up to me everytime i hear/read this shit.

which is becomming more and more common.

everybodys running scared, yet the easiest, most random, disposable form of privacy is staring you and the people we dont knowing the things we keep a secret right in the face.

email. random. email(s) & accounts.

is email tough to crack? absolutely not, common knowledge. but random email, and random email accounts so disposable and so free its only fools continuing to beleive blackberry pins, throw away prepaid phones that nobody reallly throws away when they should and/or any other device people walk on broken glass daily is/are safe.

i mean, if you gotta number that rings. and consistancy is of utmost importance ok. thats one thing. but if yer playin with chips and devise an unchargable code of randomness to set up handshakes n coffee talk, as out in the open and strange as it may sound.

use email, random fucking email.

i dunno, shits still fucked up to me everytime i hear/read this shit.

which is becomming more and more common.

everybodys running scared, yet the easiest, most random, disposable form of privacy is staring you and the people we dont knowing the things we keep a secret right in the face.

email. random. email(s) & accounts.

is email tough to crack? absolutely not, common knowledge. but random email, and random email accounts so disposable and so free its only fools continuing to beleive blackberry pins, throw away prepaid phones that nobody reallly throws away when they should and/or any other device people walk on broken glass daily is/are safe.

i mean, if you gotta number that rings. and consistancy is of utmost importance ok. thats one thing. but if yer playin with chips and devise an unchargable code of randomness to set up handshakes n coffee talk, as out in the open and strange as it may sound.

use email, random fucking email.

donut-seeds-20091111-222834.jpg

There was a bit of a scandal in NY from a few years back, about the feds remotely tuning into mobsters phones (the kind with the walkie chirp action motion) and using their discourses as evidence. They could do this even when the phones were turned off. Not with battery out though, I believe.

Once the information gathering and surveillance systems are wide spread and commonplace, its only a matter of centralization and integration before we are fucked, ensnared. Look at chicagos giant camera system. It incorporates city as well as private cameras that were in place before the program was implemented into a centralized system, monitored in real time. that was 4-5 years ago. I can only imagine whats in store for the future.

• Like 1

GPS is a requirement in all cell phones now. If it works without wires, then you're tracked. You may not be able to use it to see where you are, and what faggy art-bar is next to you on a pretty little map, but it knows coordinates, and anyone that knows how to track lat./lon. will know where you are.

Locationd Blocker: Blocks All Location Records Stored On Your iPhone / iPad [Jailbreak Required]

For those who don’t like this information to be stored / for those who don’t like the device to keep track of your moves, you can install Locationd Blocker. One of my good friend @pushfix has developed a utility, which cleans all the information related to this tracking.

This blocks locationd from storing any information about cell location, wifi location, and Your past locations

You can still use GPS with full accuracy. WiFi only accuracy will be diminished since it’s not logging the location of Wi-Fi access points anymore.

Step 1: Jailbreak Your iOS Device

Step 2: Launch Cydia >> Manage >> Source >> Edit >> Add >> Type the following source >> Add Source

http://cydia.pushfix.info/

Step 3: Once the Source is verified and updated, Tap on Done & Tap on the Added Source

Step 4: Now, Look for Locationd Blocker

Step 5: Select It, Tap on Install >> Tap on Confirm to complete the installation

http://www.machackpc.com/apps/apps-for-iphone/locationd-blocker-blocks-all-location-records-stored-on-your-iphone-ipad-jailbreak-required/

==================================

enjoy

GPS is a requirement in all cell phones now. If it works without wires, then you're tracked. You may not be able to use it to see where you are, and what faggy art-bar is next to you on a pretty little map, but it knows coordinates, and anyone that knows how to track lat./lon. will know where you are.

^^^^

this is pretty accurate. even the most basic cellular device of any kind has a general sense of its location at all times. even with only voice services being used. cellular devices use an individual IMEI tag (or similiar ID for different networks) for handshaking on the network, much like a MAC address. When the device is turned on it transmits a "hello" to the network containing its individual ID and requests network access in the form of a handshake protocol. In order to do so it triangulates its position with regards to the nearest cell tower by way of signal strength. to say that the device knows its lat/longitude is slightly incorrect, what the device knows is the ID for the nearest cell tower, and the cell tower equipment logs which device ID's have accessed its network resources. that is true for the most basic voice communications.

for data communications, once a data session has been established a cellular device is indeed able to triangulate its exact coordinates down to a few hundred square feet. no matter what the carrrier or data services used.

regardless of an incorrect perception that your device is not storing your location data, the service provider still has a log of which towers were used for communication to and from a particular device, so your location can be tracked consistently as you move and your device 'hops' from tower to tower. ever notice how cell towers are generally next to major highways and roads? well to someone mapping your movement it will look just like mapquest as you hop towers while in transit.

Isn't this a feature you can enable on phones nowadays? So you have kids with cell phones you add this as a service and can keep track of their whereabouts. If i had a daughter this would probably set my mind at ease some. Would probably want to know if my kid was going down to 7 and John R every day too.