RIP Gerard Smith - TV On The Radio

AllTheWrongWords

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1662395/tv-on-the-radio-gerard-smith-dead-34.jhtml

TV On The Radio bassist Gerard Smith died Wednesday (April 20) at age 34 after his battle with lung cancer, the band announced on its website.

"We are very sad to announce the death of our beloved friend and bandmate, Gerard Smith, following a courageous fight against lung cancer," the band's statement reads. "Gerard passed away the morning of April 20th, 2011. We will miss him terribly."

Yo this seriously saddens me.

Maybe not a lot of you aren't into the band but for those who are you know how strong damn near all of their songs pushed the limits of new sound and genre re-classification. Something alot of the current music scene could learn from.

Homie was a definite center piece to the fold of their sound.

Heart goes out to the band and family.

300.gerard.lc.031511.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMv_PuGHSGA

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I had forgotten, but I actually met this guy once in about 2007 or so-- not surprisingly, on one of my rare trips to Williamsburg. I was hanging out with a friend who apparently knew him. Dude rolled up on his bike, they shot the shit for a few minutes, and he mentioned that he had to get to band practice. I was like, "oh, cool, what do you play, blah blah blah, you got any shows coming up?" He said yeah, a little private gig this weekend, then gave out some pounds and went on his way. My friend then looked at me like I was an idiot, and said, "do you seriously not know who that was? TV on the radio? They're playing Saturday Night Live this week..."

Anyway, Rest In Peace. Not my kind of music, but clearly a talented and humble guy. Also, a friend of Mikhail's, so a good guy in my book.

Just found this video the other day. They made one giant kind of rambling music video for their latest album Nine Types of Light. Highlights include Second Song, Forgotten, Killer Crane, and You. The whole thing is on point visually, even the one or two songs I don't particularly care for on the album have great videos.