Channel Zero made into its own website.

Soup

I dont think my last thread regarding this was properly titled or explained so nobody looked at it.

I was thinking about what goes into Ch. 0 to keep us all coming back, the hours have we all clocked to entertain eachother, and what have we actually got to show for it. I cant help but think at the end of the day we should at least be getting payed for this, but the only way to do this would be to start up a new website.

If 12oz admin are reading this and thinking it sounds like I'm undermining 12oz ad revenue I wouldnt worry about that just yet, or at all. Who knows. I think everyone here is way too fucking loyal to the oontz for that to happen.. If it works out im sure 12oz can pick up the whole idea and run with it.

So to get this thread rolling I had a few questions i thought people could answer:

1. Why have we stuck to forums to communicate?

2. Why have blogs become more popular than forums?

3. If forums were invented in 2011, what would they look like?

4. What if Channel Zero was set up like 4Chan, youtube, facebook, gawker, tumblr, svpply, etc? How would that affect content, community interaction, viewership, ad revenue, etc?

5. Apart from users making money in the same way bloggers for various websites get payed to blog, what are other ways the average 12ozer can make money?

I'm playing with website formats, blogs, etc. One example is http://tv.krtong.com/ I'll have different one made in a few days.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a creature of habit.

Making forums more "modern" with more features and stuff can ruin them. I used to participate in another forum and they decided to update the site to make it fancy. It killed the site, made it difficult to navigate and actually did succeed in driving off long time regular contributors in large numbers which then brought down the quality of what was being posted and made the site less worth visiting.

I used to visit that forum about 4 times a week, after months of not checking it I just removed it from my bookmarks when I was cleaning them up a little the other day.

A little off topic but an important point to keep in mind.

Bojang you ever tried to Esty those things?

Link me Mort. Im curious where they fucked up, or why they just straight up forced users into something they didnt want to be forced into. Just because one asshole failed doesnt mean this will. Just means we dont go that direction.

that's all great, just 1 question.

why?

I was thinking about what goes into Ch. 0 to keep us all coming back, the hours have we all clocked to entertain eachother, and what have we actually got to show for it. I cant help but think at the end of the day we should at least be getting payed for this,

das Y. Plus dont you want to see a bunch of retarded oontzers running a major interweb publication?

Another important thing to think about is how many 12ozers already have blogs, tumblrs, facebook accts, etc.

The problem ive always had with owning a tumblr or a blog or posting shit on facebook is the lack of viewership.... well that and watching tumblr/wordpress/facebook making money on the content I spent time generating. If you want viewership of your thoughts, ideas, shared videos etc, you should aggregate it into one fucking site that you control. Ideally with a few other people. Then after that you start trimming off the garbage posts and bang you've got quality.

by "we" you mean who? me, you, us? Gettin paid? huh?

I'm still confused. YOU want to get paid & run the website?

A select few?

Wouldn't it eventually turn out to be what we already have here?

Whatever revenue is made off the site itself would be shared with those who help generate the content. What Im saying is I'll help develop the website, and that's all I want from this.

All the other questions you're asking me are questions I'm asking 12oz.

Does this mean youll leave?

That's actually an interesting and relevant question.

I havent been here in the last four months because I've been establishing http://GeremiaDesign.com as an interior design firm here in the Bay Area. Apart from some of the most popular bars and restaurants in San Francisco, our clients have been people like the 3rd employee of Facebook, dropbox.com, path.com, etc.

Being around people like Mark Zuckerberg, and the Mark Zuckerbergs of tomorrow I've been afforded the opportunity to ask these people what they think the future of forums are. Their answer has always been "nobody knows." Seeing as there's many users on 12oz who've used forums for almost/over ten years, I dont think there's anybody more qualified to answer that than 12oz.