MOCA Art in the Streets Los Angeles.............................

Poesia [ ] T

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine got to peep some of Retna's work and he was saying that he's working on two story high canvasses. Should be interesting for sure. Hopefully this will inspire some new walls around Los Angeles and maybe get the fucking city leaders off our nut sacks. Can't even tell you how many walls have been lost(legal and illegal) because of their hate for graffiti. This shit goes just beyond keeping it the streets at this point. Shit is retarded.

"Art in the Streets"

I don't get what's so wrong and arrogant about the title. Seems straightforward to me.

Art in the Streets will showcase installations by 50 of the most dynamic artists from the graffiti and street art community, including Fab 5 Freddy (New York)

It's the message the show is conveying, along with the accompanied book and it's title. Sorry if I wasn't clear before. But whatever Im over it at this point, I got my points out.

ALEXIS ROSS, ANDRE, A-ONE, BARRY MCGEE, BEAR 167, BILL DANIEL, BILL RAY, BLADE, CHARLIE AHEARN, CHAZ BOJORQUEZ, COCO144, COST, CRAIG COSTELLO, CRAIG R. STECYK III, CRASH, DAN MURPHY, DASH SNOW, DAZE, DELTA, DEVIN FLYNN, DON LEICHT, DONDI, DRUGS, ED TEMPLETON, EINE, ERIK BRUNETTI, ESTEVAN ORIOL, FAB 5 FREDDY, FREEDOM, FUTURA, GORDON MATTA-CLARK, GUSMANO CESARETTI, HAZE, HENRY CHALFANT, HOWARD GRIBBLE, HUGH HOLLAND, INVADER, IRAK, IZ THE WIZ, JAMIE REID, JAMES PRIGOFF, JANE DICKSON, JEAN-MICHEL BASQUIAT, JOHN AHEARN, JOHN FEKNER, JON NAAR, JOSH LAZCANO, JR, KAWS, KEITH HARING, KENNY SCHARF, KIELY JENKINS, KOOR, LADY PINK, LARRY CLARK, LEE QUINONES, LOOMIT, MALCOLM MCLAREN, MARE 139, MARGARET KILGALLEN, MARK GONZALES, MARTHA COOPER, MISS VAN, MISTER CARTOON, MODE 2, NECKFACE, NOC, OS GEMEOS, PATTI ASTOR, PHASE 2, RAMMELLZEE, RETNA, REVOK, REVOLT, REVS, RISK, ROA, ROBBIE CONAL, RON ENGLISH, SABER, SHARP, SHEPARD FAIREY, SJK161, SNAKE 1, SPIKE JONZE, STELIOS, STEPHEN POWERS, STEVE GRODY, SWOON, TAKI 183, TEEN WITCH, TERRY RICHARDSON, TODD JAMES, TOXIC, TRACY 168, ZEPHYR

a truly amazing line up.....until.

SHEPARD FAIREY[/color], SJK161, SNAKE 1, SPIKE JONZE, STELIOS, STEPHEN POWERS, STEVE GRODY, SWOON, TAKI 183, TEEN WITCH, TERRY RICHARDSON, TODD JAMES, TOXIC, TRACY 168, ZEPHYR

C'mon son, there are many more before obey's name came up that didn't deserve to be in that lineup.

"I was asked to respond to an open letter about all the controversy surrounding the MOCA street art show. My take on this whole conversation is this show has everyones emotions fired up which is good. I was not invited to take part in this show. I waited till the last minute and called moca up myself. It worked in my favor but this show is not an egalitarian show that is fair. It is a show of those who have made a mark on a street level and in the art world. With that said I agree there are many very powerful contributors like skept, heaven, hex to name a few from the original la graff scene that are not in the show There is an art school croud waiting to see there favorites also that they may not see, so the politics of the museum world are strange to say the least. It shows how removed everyone is from the streets. I will also say there is nobody in the show who doesn’t deserve to be, and there are some masterful works by some of the strongest street graffiti artist and that is great to see. With All the drama surrounding the show I feel that people are not aware how the fine art world works. It means a lot of people need to work harder and produce more meaningful work. As far as the question of censorship I haven’t experienced any but the question stems from the destruction of blues mural. Obviously it is screwed to remove some ones art but does anyone realize there is a veterans hospital across the street? I’m all for telling the public how evil the system is but this is a no brainer. I don’t think the poor who have lost limbs and loved ones need to be reminded every time they go to see there Dr that America makes money off there dead body’s. The whole thing was miss managed but it also shows how ready people in LA are to hate blame and talk shit over issues that they don’t inform themselves with. Come on LA just do your work. I Have put more work in than any of you & I’m in the same boat with all of you. Just do your work and try to mean what you say. Peace out and I love LA!"

Mear

i view this as an opportunity to see some really great art.

do i give a fuck about the other details? not so much.

i'll be in LA for a couple days this summer so i might actually get a chance to check it out, and not worry about anyone's street cred, roots, history, haircut, scene points, or other bullshit that lots of people think have to accommodate art.

SHEPARD FAIREY[/color], SJK161, SNAKE 1, SPIKE JONZE, STELIOS, STEPHEN POWERS, STEVE GRODY, SWOON, TAKI 183, TEEN WITCH, TERRY RICHARDSON, TODD JAMES, TOXIC, TRACY 168, ZEPHYR

C'mon son, there are many more before obey's name came up that didn't deserve to be in that lineup.

me[ihhh[/i]. not really dude. but perhaps it all depends on just how much hatred you hold for said faggot.

ps. katsu. whats going on with this guy?

"It's been a long while since i posted anything on here but felt compelled to do so now....I have had the pleasure of seeing what has been going on inside the MOCA walls for the past many days and I gladly will go on record and say that this show is 100% HISTORIC!....As far as anything Graffiti or Street Art related there has never been such a collection of talent under one roof...EVER! While of course it's not 100% complete or inclusive I don't think it's meant to be but it does a beautiful job of telling the story of Graffiti from it's roots to current day...Kudos to Deitch and Co!.....the giant space is so jam packed with eye searing visuals it is overwhelming and will definitely warrant repeat viewings....The LA version of Mcgee ESPO REAS Street Market blows the New York classic exhibition out of the water! it's like the ultimate Disney Ride for art vandals....mind blowing detail!....The Banksy room is retarded fresh with a few new large canvases and some new re-workings of classic images...my favorite so far that I will trade my mother in for if I could is a giant Indian "No Trespassing" on wood that is fantastic! similar to the one he did in San Fran I believe but this time the Indian is standing....the man is no dummy and more than holds his own in a space full of art Kings...The Os Gemeos room is classic Os Gemeos with a few stunning stunning pieces....They have also turned the outside box office cube building into a giant double faced classic Gemeos Balaclava man that is fresh and the kicker is what they are building inside the chain link fence on top of the guys head...will not spoil it. The Basquiat that is hanging in the storefront recreation of the legendary Fun Gallery might be one of the rawest Basquiats I have ever seen and also might be one of my favorites of his that I have never seen before. all that being said I do think that Phil Frost is sadly missing from this exhibit and is a crucial link that cannot be overlooked....hopefully they will include him in the NYC version of the show...and oh yeah...can't believe that BLU is not inside the building at all?!! f**ked.....in two days history will be made!! and i urge anyone that was born between 1965 and 1995 to make a pilgrimage to this ART MECCA!!!!"

off some blog