Yelp!

Pistol

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the extortion thing is true, I manage the bar at a restaurant and I believe the figure was around $300 a month to keep a five star rating with the best reviews at the top versus the "yelp sort" so why trust a yelp rating anyway?

it really is people bitching about delivery time or preferring their water without ice at the table or not enough napkins given out during their meal.

first world problems

Extortion stories are true. Yelp contacted me about my businesses and they still call almost every day trying to sway me. Little do these new salespeople (yelp sales gigs are insanely easy to get) know, my number is just a bullshit "qualified lead" in their sales database thats been festering there for years. I made the mistake of answering the call in 2008.

I also have creditors. Yelp calls at least 3 times as often as the bill collectors. Somedays if I don't pick up, the calls continue all day long.

Also, has anyone noticed these faggots write "reviews" that are more reminiscent of a teen diary entry than anything else?

I went to what I thought was a cool bar one night for a free PBR Art Show. Had I known this was a Yelp sponsored event, I would have avoided like aids. These fucking armchair nightlife critics need to quit complaining and just tell us where they go and that's it. Then I can go the other way and enjoy my bar/restaurant/whatever free of nit picking twerps DYING to find minor imperfections to bitch about online.

IMAD.gif

Good Read:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/eastbay/yelp-and-the-business-of-extortion-20/Content?oid=1176635

• Like 1

i'm not into the whole yelp thing

or checking in. really don't like that

anonymity is still something i enjoy

plus i don't think anyone really cares where i am, except maybe my dog.

i'm a tripadvisor girl.

i have my destination, check out hotels and restaurants and activities, and use them to form an idea of stuff i'd like to do.. though i also use that other awesome resource, people i know.

Extortion stories are true. Yelp contacted me about my businesses and they still call almost every day trying to sway me. Little do these new salespeople (yelp sales gigs are insanely easy to get) know, my number is just a bullshit "qualified lead" in their sales database thats been festering there for years. I made the mistake of answering the call in 2008.

I also have creditors. Yelp calls at least 3 times as often as the bill collectors. Somedays if I don't pick up, the calls continue all day long.

Also, has anyone noticed these faggots write "reviews" that are more reminiscent of a teen diary entry than anything else?

I went to what I thought was a cool bar one night for a free PBR Art Show. Had I known this was a Yelp sponsored event, I would have avoided like aids. These fucking armchair nightlife critics need to quit complaining and just tell us where they go and that's it. Then I can go the other way and enjoy my bar/restaurant/whatever free of nit picking twerps DYING to find minor imperfections to bitch about online.

IMAD.gif

Good Read:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/eastbay/yelp-and-the-business-of-extortion-20/Content?oid=1176635

my man actually got creditors to STOP calling him

his technique is fucking amazing.

asking em where they live and shit, being super sweet and trying to get all their personal information, just laughing at them... answering every question/statement/threat with a question. it's quite funny.

the extortion thing is true, I manage the bar at a restaurant and I believe the figure was around $300 a month to keep a five star rating with the best reviews at the top versus the "yelp sort" so why trust a yelp rating anyway?

it really is people bitching about delivery time or preferring their water without ice at the table or not enough napkins given out during their meal.

first world problems

This isn't true. My boy works on the back end for them (pause). They call us like once a week to try to get us to do the ads but as long as you keep on your business account and talk to customers you should have no problem. That payment shit just puts your ad up top. it doesn't change the rating at all.

One time a chick gave us one star because she said she went to get her septum pierced and all the tattoo artists were up front drinking and playing dominoes. I was there the whole night she was talking about, and we also don't even own dominoes, and there is no table up front.

Turns out she was talking about a shittier place down the street. But i offered her 10 dollars off her septum just because she had such a hard time. And that one start turned into 5.

Customer base... They love us.

I have always believed that the internet really could live up to the expectations set for it back in the day. I remember being fucking blown away by napster when it was at the peak. I do not follow these things with too much passion but have been concerned that the capitalists will really ruin the form.

It is getting hard to do casual research or find genuine content due to everything being so aggressively filtered by companies making money.

Not to mention that this very sight, one that I truthfully have a relationship with going back over ten years is now whoring itself to the likes of McDonalds and the US MARINE CORPS. It kind of hurts looking at where things are going.

I know right? Reclaim our subculture from these heartless leeches.

On a serious note, I can see what you're saying, but I'll put up with a little corporate whoring to keep enjoying 12oz. The site has grown since 10 years ago, and Raven pays for all of us to enjoy it...plus the mods work free of charge although I heard they get to fly in the golden 12oz jet...money has to come from somewhere to pay the costs, I don't think corporate American strongarmed its way on here for adspace. They probably wouldn't want anything to do with the half the people on here, anyway.

yeah, i find it funny some of the compacies willing to come on here, with all the griping some of us do.

it is sad though indeed morton.

far more frightening to me than the endless adverts, is the attempt to control the net with legislature.

not only COICA, where the whole thing is privatized to the point of not being able to have a site anymore since you can't pay for its traffic, but now there is talk of limiting internet usage with laws.

they are so afraid of piracy tapping into the coffers of the entertainment monolith, the lobbyists have suggested that no one really needs that much internet

http://stopthecap.com/2010/12/02/top-cable-lobbyist-calls-fccs-open-internet-proposal-license-to-end-unlimited-internet/

the wild west days of the internet will come to an end, and it will be capitalism that slays it.

My problem with Yelp is that they keep removing/filtering out my 5 star reviews from legit customers. Yet, none of the 1 or 2 star reviews ever get filtered even when they are from a Yelper that has never been to my place of business (Like NBB's confused customer).

I have spoken with Yelp a few of times over the phone and even questioned their team at speaking events and each time they say "Well, that's just how the algorithm works". Not to say I still don't get a shit load of customers who state they were referred by Yelp, but it sucks having legit reviews removed/filtered. They need to update that algorithm.

This isn't true. My boy works on the back end for them (pause). They call us like once a week to try to get us to do the ads but as long as you keep on your business account and talk to customers you should have no problem. That payment shit just puts your ad up top. it doesn't change the rating at all.

One time a chick gave us one star because she said she went to get her septum pierced and all the tattoo artists were up front drinking and playing dominoes. I was there the whole night she was talking about, and we also don't even own dominoes, and there is no table up front.

Turns out she was talking about a shittier place down the street. But i offered her 10 dollars off her septum just because she had such a hard time. And that one start turned into 5.

Customer base... They love us.

The deal that was explained to me by the yelp guy was that for a fee they would bump our good reviews to the top of the "sort list" and eliminate the bad ones. I am in New York City, perhaps the extortion level is higher here being that it's the (self-proclaimed) center of the universe for the service industry. I declined because we have a solid 4.5 star rating that is self earned. I haven't been badgered by them since, but the offer was made.

The deal that was explained to me by the yelp guy was that for a fee they would bump our good reviews to the top of the "sort list" and eliminate the bad ones. I am in New York City, perhaps the extortion level is higher here being that it's the (self-proclaimed) center of the universe for the service industry. I declined because we have a solid 4.5 star rating that is self earned. I haven't been badgered by them since, but the offer was made.

Im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this. It's just not the way the business works. Im in the bay area. There is no shortage of competition here.

When you go on yelp you can see what places are paying and which aren't. The ones that were paying will always be on top. In yellow, and it will say "yelp ad" and you pay by how many people click that ad... Google does the same thing.

And as far as lugrs complaint goes. When i check the filtered comments it's always either just either a 5 star rating that has no content from someone who has never posted before, or a 1 star comment from someone that had never posted before. and usually you can tell it's from someone who either used to work for us and got shitcanned or someone who works for a competing business. But maybe i just got the good side of it, i've seen it go wrong before.