Why and How did you start writing Graff?

KB one

I'm a ceramic artist who's down with graff. I've been looking for information about how people learned to write graffiti, and I need your help. I'm not a pig, I'm a broke fucking student at Humboldt State University in Arcata, CA who's interested in what you have to say.

Here's the link to my ANONYMOUS survey: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/483636/abed8b5e3ddb

Major props to those who contribute, and to those who can't, no worries...

-KBone

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
that survey was great

loved the question about throwing a "PHAT finger at the man"

so to answer your question

bondage videos and Phat fingers

prob don't have the same experience you do with bondage videos, but sure know my ladies like the phat fingers...and the phat markers!

i'm also in the same boat - i have a survey that desperately needs replies

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dExJR3FVSk5SUkF0ZWVvenBydVdoN1E6MQ

i know i have no cred on here because i never post, but i am a writer in philly and i've interviewed a lot of the big writers and oldheads here for this project. i really would like some data about the people who use these forums, because there isn't a lot of literature about them and i would really like to fill that gap.

so please, help me out. this isn't simple curiosity... this will hopefully be a book someday. this is totally anonymous and secure and i don't even ask what you write, nor will i have access to your info.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Always like bubble letters when i was little, thought cursive was cool because it was different. Saw graff on the trains and wanted to do that. The adrenaline, the art and somewhat assholish attitude that comes with it.

Sums it up for me.

I love graffiti because I know what place is like becasue of its graffiti. It speaks to me, it tells me "mexicans live here" or "watch out for crips" or "these people have talent" or "you need to live here". Graffiti is a language that you just learn or you don't. Most cops don't get it, because the don't speak it. Politicians talk money, I see money in terms of how many cans can I get. If i've a got 40 bucks, I actually have 7 cans worth of paper. Graffit is a lifestyle, its expression, its in the blood and i see it when i close my eyes or walk down the street.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alfred Pennyworth: With respect, sir, perhaps this is a man that *you* don't fully understand, either. A long time ago, I was in Burma. My friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So, we went looking for the stones. But in three months, we never met anybody who traded with him. One day, I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

Bruce Wayne: So why steal them?

Alfred Pennyworth: Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

after seeing some pretty bad ass pieces and throwups on the walls near the tracks viewable from the outside train terminal. the go-go soul music-esque funk-esque thing we had going on here gave stuff actual flavor and and involved actual style instead of the tasteless and frankly generic shit guys grow egos on nowadays.

ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vciR76rSRgA

• Like 1

all my homies were doing it so i started i didnt even know what it was really cuz i had no tv or computer we just tagged up everywhere till i got to high school i really started getting into it. and picked a name. i got put down on a crew but a few days later i moved with fam from where i was in LA to las cruces new mexico. i hated the desert. very few graff writers out there. saw alot of pieces though from some old school writers. then it just inspired me to keep writing and practicing. moved back to cali for a year. then moved to seattle. got put down on another crew.. then back to cali. then back to seattle. then back to cali. i had a lot of different art influences growing up. i move to much. but it allows you to experience a lot and see different cultures and meet a lot of people