Tsunami Slams Northern Japan After Massive 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Off Coast Rea

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Tsunami Slams Northern Japan After Massive 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Off Coast

Come to Hayward. I'm drankin!!!!

:D tsunami party time!

nah but they just said that the waves expected to hit taiwan were minimal, so i'm thinking we're all good this far away.

Re: Tsunami Slams Northern Japan After Massive 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Off Coast

Pics or it didn't happen....

Jk. But seriously pics?

There was no time to take pics, I grabbed my dog and bolted outside onto the clear road where a bunch of people were freaking, including myself. Last thing on my mind was to take pics, I'm still on edge and I feel for the oontz people with tsunami warnings.

/ I live in Yokohama, just outside of Tokyo.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry. Unless you're literally camping on the beach. I mean honestly it's better to be safe than sorry...

But the California coastline is for the most part, at least several meters above sea level right off the tide line. A three foot surge is nothing and we deal with things like these all winter long. Nobody notices, except those cliff dwellers in Pacifica.

Coastal ridge ftw

i'm close enough for it to be somewhat worrisome, but i'm not really trippin, i think i'm high enough up

but my homie that lives across the street from the ocean down in monterey said he's getting a hotel.

nbb, the waves you watch at mavericks arent moving at 400+ mph :P

i took some pics of downtown kapaa, hella traffic due to people getting gas for their generators and stocking up on food and water.

5516602189_6afdc243fa_b.jpg

5517191190_28e62dfc74_b.jpg

Well what a lot of folks don't seem to realize is that the Cali coast is regularly shaped by some of the largest waves in the world. Now that's not to say that 50 foot waves breaking at Mavericks are the same as tidal waves. But we have a good amount of elevation gain straight out the water in most areas. Think the stretch from Santa Cruz to SF; mostly sheer cliff straight to the tideline. Or think Big Sur, with thousands of vertical feet dropping straight into the ocean. It would take an insane and massive tsunami event to breach any of this.

But of you still want to worry then here- http://www.lajollasurf.org/nocal.html

You can watch the buoys in real time. If you see Cape Mendocino turn red then head for the hills. You have about an hour and a half before it rounds Point Bolinas and heads for the Bay. Also watch the 59 offshore buoy. Good indicator of incoming swell.

If I lived in the shithole known as Crescent City, I would have legitimate reason to be scared.

And I hope I don't have to eat any of mah words. Checked CNN and saw some in incredible footage of the actual tsunami doing it's thing. This could be an interesting morning at the coast. Finna' go snoke a few brunts at Lands End as the sunrises and see what happens.