Japan Earthquake, Tsunami, Nuclear Disaster

BlueMoon

Re: 8.9 Earthquakeuake in Japan

what a horrible situation, thankfully not many anime/manga or video-game guru's that i know of were killed. i know it's ridiculous but i was actually worried about that.

that's just crazy though, the tsunami was ridiculous and i expect the overall death toll at the end of this to be very high. a lot higher than what they are reporting currently, and god forbid those nuclear reactors melt down.

i'm clueless about this stuff so i'll ask, what would be the most severe outcome if those reactors do melt down? is that something that is only a threat for japan or is it a problem globally? also, i saw on national geographic or something about how scientists are now predicting another mega quake in the pacific due to this recent activity in the earth's crust. not sure if that was just shameless advertising for some sort of show or if it has any serious scientific basis.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Nuclear reactors in Japan

So they say if the third nuclear reactor blows up in japan that its going to effect the whole US.

160 ppl in Japan are already infected and some scientist say the weather and waves may have already spread some radiation to the west cost.

And my wise gramps told me there was going to be a plague in 2012 like a day or two the earthquake happened.

Re: Nuclear reactors in Japan

we have a japan disaster thread so for now i'ma merge this.

that information is unreliable, i have seen other shit that says there is no radiation danger to the US west coast.

so let's not break out the tin foil hats yet.

I dont know, everything ive read about the nuke plant since the quake struck seems to not be jiving up with what has unfolded in the last 24 hours or so. They kept reiterating over and over how the reactors were shut down and this was going to be nothing like chernobyl because of that. Now it seems like a worst case scenario is unfolding, and its going (obviously) to be much worse than they tried to let on that it could be.

I couldn't begin to fathom this affecting the mass population of tokyo... it would be like something out of a science fiction novel.

i just hope this whole situation isn't as bad as it sounds right now, and i seriously hope that they don't get rocked by something else within the next few months. with all the shit happening in the world today, this would just add to global anxiety about end of days situations which i just think is ridiculous. the more and more we feel like the world is going to come to some sort of end, i feel like it is going to manifest itself somehow.

but seriously, i just hope everything turns out ok for them and japan can recover. there are a lot of great people in japan, and their society overall creates some awesome stuff.

I hope it becomes clear that nuclear is not the way to go. Something that doesn't degrade on a human time scale is not the answer to the looming energy crises. Especially so considering the unpredictability of natural disasters such as the equakes in Japan. The manufacture of persistent waste on a finite spherical planet is unsustainable. Furthermore, it takes 15 years for a nuclear power plant to actually make up for the emissions required to build. Not a viable direction considering we need to bring carbon in our atmosphere down to 350 parts per million by 2025 in order to avoid runaway climate change.. http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=7Ui8fBmNlm4C&oi=fnd&pg=PA10&dq=runaway+climate+change&ots=Yxm0Cm6JFS&sig=H2AxCt3sArhCwUottHABMTHwNzM#v=onepage&q=runaway%20climate%20change&f=false

The reason why you don't see this kind of discussion on supposed "liberal" media outlet MSNBC is because NBC is owned by General Electric, the developer of 23 nuclear power plants in the U.S. that are nearly identical to the failed Japanese plant.

Oligopoly of media anyone?

even chernobyl got through chernobyl

yes, it would be absolutely horrible to have a full scale meltdown, but people who think this portends some apocalyptic event are naive.

i completely agree though, i really hope they come through it without the major meltdown that is now starting to appear more inevitable. very scary for them, and i have friends there so i am very concerned for them.

radiation is not the be all end all of disasters though, even if there IS a giant meltdown they will eventually see some recovery.

i'm trying, unusually, to remain optimistic.

I also dont think this is some harbinger of an "end of days scenario". I think all that stuff is silly, if the world ends it ends. Im fine with that, what will i have to worry about, ill be dead.

I also know some people in japan, and it is scary... like you said if were going with the "when it rains it pours" logic, i also hope that they dont get broadsided with something else.

And the thing with chernobyl was that it wasnt compounded with death and destruction like this was preceded by, its was an isolated incident and clean up... MAN, this is a mess.

On a lighter note, when homeboy said the NWO was behind the earthquake this instantly popped into my head and made me laugh, not to make light of a horrible situation. But humor is how i usually deal with negativity and stress so here:

nwojapan.jpg

...BROTHERRR.

you're totally right, chernobyl, viewed in this context, had less of a problem since it was only one disaster, not 3 of the most ginormous catastrophes in history.

i hope the ingenuity and fortitude of the japanese people get them through this

this is 'the big one' that everyone freaks out about. just imagine if it had been the san andreas fault instead. i wonder when that will happen. apparently their is a ~10% chance one this big will hit california in the next 30 years.

word to comic relief. the world is under crazy pressure right now.

even chernobyl got through chernobyl

yes, it would be absolutely horrible to have a full scale meltdown, but people who think this portends some apocalyptic event are naive.

i completely agree though, i really hope they come through it without the major meltdown that is now starting to appear more inevitable. very scary for them, and i have friends there so i am very concerned for them.

radiation is not the be all end all of disasters though, even if there IS a giant meltdown they will eventually see some recovery.

i'm trying, unusually, to remain optimistic.

I don't know if what your saying is in regards to what I said or not, but I want to make clear that all's I was saying is that nuclear energy is illogical and unfortunately because of the media (and who its controlled by), we will never hear all sides of the pro/anti-nuclear debate on the national stage...

Anyway... I hope everything straightens up over there.

P.S. Sometimes it's more beneficial to be defensively pessimistic, rather than unrealistically optimistic.

/pseudo-intellectual oner

Journalist Wall of Shame

This Wall of Shame is being assembled by various people, many of whom are on the ground in Japan as residents, not temporarily assigned journalists, who are sick of the sensationalist, overly speculative, and just plain bad reporting that has gone on since the Tohoku quake in Japan last Friday (March 11). We feel that contacting each and every publication and reporter every time a bad report shows up is not effective, and it is our sincere hope that this will encourage journalists to aspire to a higher (some would say minimal) level of responsibility in their reports. If you would like to add a report of your own, feel free.

http://jpquake.wikispaces.com/Journalist+Wall+of+Shame

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

add liquefaction to the list of compounding disasters.

very interesting stuff.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110419/sc_livescience/japanquakecausedsurprisinglyseveresoilcollapse

The 9.0 earthquake in Japan — the fourth most powerful quake ever recorded — also caused an unusually severe and widespread shift in soil through liquefaction, a new study suggests.

The duration of the Japanese earthquake, about five minutes, could be the key to the severity of the liquefaction and may force researchers to reconsider the extent of liquefaction damage possible.

"With such a long-lasting earthquake, we saw how structures that might have been okay after 30 seconds just continued to sink and tilt as the shaking continued for several more minutes," Ashford said. "And it was clear that younger sediments, and especially areas built on recently filled ground, are much more vulnerable."

I always wonder about liquifaction when i'm on treasure island in s.f. 100% man made land in the middle

of the bay. I get the feeling that it would straight up sink into the bay in a big enough/long lasting quake.

In related news, we had a small earthquake (3.8) yesterday afternoon.

MASSIVE FISH DIE OFF IN VENTURA!

A SIMILAR THING HAPPENED IN REDONDO 2 DAYS BEFORE THE 1ST JAPAN EARTHQUAKE TSUNAMI

VENTURA - Officials say thousands of anchovies and sardines have died in Ventura Harbor after using up all their oxygen.

Pat Hummer of the Ventura Harbor Patrol says the fish died Monday, although they moved into the harbor a week ago.

Hummer says three patrol boats drove around scooping up dead fish before they started sinking and stinking. They filled up more than 20 50-gallon barrels throughout the day. The carcasses were dumped at sea.

In early March, 175 tons or 2.5 million sardines died in Redondo Beach after running out of oxygen.

Officials say they don't know why the fish entered the harbor, but they could have been chased by a sea lion, dolphin or strong tide.

---

Information from: Ventura County Star, http://venturacountystar.com

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_17883086?source=rv

"Dolphins and sea lions that have died along the Southern California coast in recent weeks may be victims of a deadly neurotoxin produced by a seasonal algae bloom, experts said Tuesday."

this had nothing to do with liquefaction. not even close. also totally unrelated to earthquakes and tsunamis.

ink face, i know what you mean. i sometimes have a weird 'sinking' feeling like that on manhattan.

not man made, but how much shit can you stack on an island before it becomes unstable?

mexico city is also sinking. built on marshes. i don't think they have quakes to worry about though.

/off topic, but this is almost comical

Mexico City, the capitol of Mexico, is indeed sinking. In fact, it is estimated that during the 20th century, the city has sunk approximately 29 to 36 feet (9 to 11 m). Take a dry lake bed, an extremely thirsty population, poor conservation and a seismically active ground underfoot, and you’ve got a serious problem. This thriving metropolis of approximately 24 million (and growing fast) is facing serious problems that threaten infrastructure, water supplies and irreplaceable architecture if the problem is not fixed soon.

The reason why Mexico City is sinking is simple. The city’s main water supply — more than 70% — comes from pumping water from aquifers below the city that were part of the original lake. The water is being siphoned faster than it is replaced by natural sources, such as rainfall. Although the region has significant rainfall, it occurs over short period of time, and the infrastructure is not geared toward collecting and purifying rainwater. The residents of the city consume a great deal of water, more than average for other South Americans. Not only do they consume a lot of water, a lot is wasted — as much as 40% by some estimates — due to poor conservation, leaky, dislocated pipes and substandard waste treatment.