Smart phones used to track writers in LA

lord_casek

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

California gargles balls on a lot of their criminal penalties...3 strike system for instance, shoplift a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff three times, uh oh, prison for life!

The shoplifting thing only applies if the two prior convictions were for violent or "serious" charges. Quotes because I don't know how the state makes the call, but I'm pretty sure low value grand theft (i.e., most shoplifting cases) doesn't qualify.

Isn't a 3 month sentence standard in Cali for Graff?

Every now and then some judge will get a wild hair up his ass and make an example out of some poor schmuck, but a lot of cases get dropped. It's like anywhere else...if there's money available for the DA to prosecute every little thing, they will. Since Oakland is operating on a triage system where they won't even dispatch the cops unless it's a violent crime, you run a greater risk of getting your ass kicked by a property owner then catching a case.

For a 'liberal' state they seem pretty vicious towards their criminal element, even if it's a non-violent crime (gr4ffin'.)

We are NOT a liberal state...with the exception of the northern coast (Humboldt and Mendocino), once you get away from the large cities you might as well be in the Midwest.

Also, Southern California is way more conservative than Northern California and has a third more people.

Hmm, I was under the impression that any three felonies could land you with life...could have sworn I was reading an article about someone who had three felony convictions for theft (no violence involved) that got hit with a life sentence.

Not sure though, you'd probably know better than me, it being your state and all.

was..

Main article: California Proposition 36 (2000)

On November 7, 2000, 60.8% of the state's voters supported an amendment to the statute (offered in Proposition 36) that scaled it back by providing for drug treatment instead of life in prison for most of those convicted of possessing drugs after the amendment went into effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_strikes_law

though,some places still hold the rule.

• 2 weeks later...

the city i work for has been using a similar program for years now. the city has supposedly gotten alot of money from it when people get busted. but if you add in the contract costs, court costs, im not sure if they even make their nut. considering most writers they bust dont work and is mostly gangs.

Peep this:

Las Vegas has extended this concept to civilian cell phone hero's now.

Download their graffiti app (iphone and droid), take a geotagged photo.

The photo goes straight to their database then two things happen.

Buff squad comes to buff automatically and the VS has the photo stored.

Okay, I know this is off-topic, but I was just thinking how funny it would be if someone download that app and took a picture of their ass. Just a whole load of photos of ass and balls.

Smart phones used to track graffiti vandals in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES, March 5 (Xinhua) -- Law enforcement agencies are now using smart phones to track and arrest graffiti vandals in Los Angeles, a newspaper report said on Saturday.

The graffiti-tracking program, spearheaded by the Tracking and Automated Graffiti Removal System, or TAGRS, allows graffiti- cleaning crews equipped with smart phones to photograph the markings and upload them to a Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) database, the Los Angeles Times said.

The photos are used to gather evidence for prosecution and restitution, the paper quoted city officials as saying.

Once the graffiti suspects' identities are discovered, the information is added to the TAGRS database and may eventually uncover incidents involving the same suspects, the paper said.

The LAPD launched a pilot project in 2009 in Van Nuys near Los Angeles, modeling its version on one run by the Orange County Sheriff's Department, according to the report.

The program is now anchored at four LAPD stations, Van Nuys, Hollenbeck, Central and Harbor, said Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's spokeswoman Casey Hernandez.

Los Angeles spends about 10 million dollars a year cleaning up graffiti, Hernandez said.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-03/06/c_13763077.htm

They used to do this with regular cameras.

Even more so after digital cameras came out.

And you don't have to have a smart phone for it to have a camera.

Come on Casek, I thought you were gonna say they were connecting the dots (graffiti) with "backtraces" of peoples GPS movements of their smart phones or some shit.

If you're in L.A. I'd worry more about dumb fuck dry snitches. Even now I find myself fucking things up with photos I post and the information that could be gathered from them. Never too old to learn. I found out recently that if a writer has an open case against him and I post a photo of something that he did prior to that case, that can be used against him as something new. Pretty fucked.

BTW.. the three strikes law originally was a fairly good idea, but went horribly wrong when it almost became mandatory for any type of felony. It was originally meant to be at the discretion of the judge, but that for some reason(money) fell by the wayside. When jails became big money, so did the need to imprison people for any and everything.

• 2 weeks later...