Smart phones used to track writers in LA

lord_casek

Smart phones used to track graffiti vandals in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES, March 5 (Xinhua) -- Law enforcement agencies are now using smart phones to track and arrest graffiti vandals in Los Angeles, a newspaper report said on Saturday.

The graffiti-tracking program, spearheaded by the Tracking and Automated Graffiti Removal System, or TAGRS, allows graffiti- cleaning crews equipped with smart phones to photograph the markings and upload them to a Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) database, the Los Angeles Times said.

The photos are used to gather evidence for prosecution and restitution, the paper quoted city officials as saying.

Once the graffiti suspects' identities are discovered, the information is added to the TAGRS database and may eventually uncover incidents involving the same suspects, the paper said.

The LAPD launched a pilot project in 2009 in Van Nuys near Los Angeles, modeling its version on one run by the Orange County Sheriff's Department, according to the report.

The program is now anchored at four LAPD stations, Van Nuys, Hollenbeck, Central and Harbor, said Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's spokeswoman Casey Hernandez.

Los Angeles spends about 10 million dollars a year cleaning up graffiti, Hernandez said.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-03/06/c_13763077.htm

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo all this means is that "graffiti- cleaning crews" are taking pictures with location information with their cell phones?

It's not like you could do the same thing with a camera and a map.

Oh, wait.....

RTA. They are taking pics which are uploaded into a police database and used

to compile evidence (and make a case) against writers who have their identities

discovered.

I have this joint clipped, and I don't have a lighter. Stove is electric, not viable.

Isn't a 3 month sentence standard in Cali for Graff? For a 'liberal' state they seem pretty vicious towards their criminal element, even if it's a non-violent crime (gr4ffin'.)

this isn't exactly a new technique. (see: Boston)

they are just using phones now.

Just a good example of technology being used in a fucked up fashion.

Consider this: GPS tagged photos show general area of where a particular

writer paints, narrow it down, discover identity, bust.

Gat: get a burner red hot and light it, son.

I don't see how this is different than any other database other than that the pics and loc are uploaded via the net on a phone.

Bottom line is they still got to catch you first!!

I'm just glad they don't buttfuck you when they arrest you. That would be terrible.

/needs to smoke herb, stat

Peep this:

Las Vegas has extended this concept to civilian cell phone hero's now.

Download their graffiti app (iphone and droid), take a geotagged photo.

The photo goes straight to their database then two things happen.

Buff squad comes to buff automatically and the VS has the photo stored.

Peep this:

Las Vegas has extended this concept to civilian cell phone hero's now.

Download their graffiti app (iphone and droid), take a geotagged photo.

The photo goes straight to their database then two things happen.

Buff squad comes to buff automatically and the VS has the photo stored.

Nnnnnnow we're talking a little more revolutionary.

Ouch.

my prediction:

graffitis going to evolve into this crazy cat and mouse game..where a writers writing random words each time instead of sticking to one..but then the vandalsquad will have the crayz algorithms to id niggas based on the stylistics of it..

but then in retaliationa ll the writers in teh world will start writing the same one word in teh same style....

• Like 1

my prediction:

graffitis going to evolve into this crazy cat and mouse game..where a writers writing random words each time instead of sticking to one..but then the vandalsquad will have the crayz algorithms to id niggas based on the stylistics of it..

but then in retaliationa ll the writers in teh world will start writing the same one word in teh same style....

By the time anything like that happens, there will be so many cameras that it won't be necessary. You'll be on camera a minimum of 50 times by the time you walk a block away from your house.

I have this joint clipped, and I don't have a lighter. Stove is electric, not viable.

Isn't a 3 month sentence standard in Cali for Graff? For a 'liberal' state they seem pretty vicious towards their criminal element, even if it's a non-violent crime (gr4ffin'.)

California gargles balls on a lot of their criminal penalties...3 strike system for instance, shoplift a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff three times, uh oh, prison for life!

By the time anything like that happens, there will be so many cameras that it won't be necessary. You'll be on camera a minimum of 50 times by the time you walk a block away from your house.

Cameras are easy to beat, kids are already doing it.

Put an IR led on the top of your fitteds brim and it burns out your image on camera (night time only)

I think it started in England and made its way here, google that shit, pretty cool technique.

To your average passerby they cant see the light but it's picked up on camera,

kind of like shining a bright flashlight in someones eyes and standing directly behind it.

Cameras are easy to beat, kids are already doing it.

Put an IR led on the top of your fitteds brim and it burns out your image on camera (night time only)

I think it started in England and made its way here, google that shit, pretty cool technique.

To your average passerby they cant see the light but it's picked up on camera,

kind of like shining a bright flashlight in someones eyes and standing directly behind it.

I think I posted something about that in the boredom project thread.

There is also a wild technique that is being used these days using satellites

(this sounds so absurd) to identify people via their gate and even shadow.

Tie this in with street cameras, smart phones, geolocation, etc. and it's

fucking insane.

Here's a howto

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-make-infrared-mask-hide-your-face-from-cameras-201280/