sleep paralysis / old hag

i am certain some of you have experienced this phenomena at least once in your lifetime.

i on the otherhand, go through it almost nightly. it is singlehandedly one of the most frightening experiences ive ever had. among these episodes, i have felt crippling fear, asphyxiation, cardiac arrest-like chest pain, and often humans, beings or creatures attacking me.

sometimes i will feel myself float above my body, and my eyes will be open making everything in the room visable, but also accompanied by frightening visions and/or halluncinations. often times i hear chaotic noises such as loud machines, explosions, people talking/screaming in foreign languages. ive tried to kinda "let it roll" like a lot of people recommend (some people are able to achieve lucid dreaming or OBE's this way), but this only makes it more prolonged, frightening and much more difficult to wake myself.

sometimes i am able to snap myself out of it by twitching fingers and sudden body movements/jerks, or by forcing out just enough sound to wake my wife so she can wake me. i find that my sleep paralysis also increases and intensifies with narcotic use. when i was using heroin i would experience it more frequently, but was much more tolerable and less bothersome. after getting my wisdom teeth pulled a week and a half ago, i was taking oxycodone and hydrocodone, as well as methadone occasionally for pain and it made sleeping almost impossible.

how do you deal with it, what behaviors seem to induce it for you and do you have any memorable experiences?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this happend to me a handfull of times i couldnt imagine that on the reg. i always did the twitching thing to wake myself up. The one i really remember was this gaint snake/nh tryin to eat me and i was pushing it away my girl woke me up i was shaking the hole time like struggling to push the fucker away. Also im not an old hag im in my early 20's and never really fucked with any hard drugs like herion the shit just happend everyonce in a while

This has only happened to me once or twice, but it is a really frieghtning experience. The two times it occurred to me had both been night where I had been severly sleep deprived, and as Ive read that is one of the believed causes.

The last time it happened to me I first had an out of body experience and I could see myself, and then I saw my girlfriend whom I was sleeping with. I then woke to sleep paralysis and i couldnt move anything or even speak. I felt cold and had a feeling of fear creep over me, and all I remember is that I felt like I was about to float up into the sky.

I just managed to kick my girl and she woke up alarmed wondering what was going on and as she shoke me I came out of it. Im no expert on the matter, I have a friend who this reguarly happened to whom I would ask what he did to overcome it but I havent seen him in years.

My best advice is to see a sleep doctor and have them do some test on you, read up on it and see if any of the causes that ive read about apply to your lifestyle/situation and try to change them. Id say also to always sleep with someone whether it be your girl or if anything happens to you guys get another chica just as a sleeping buddy and always have them within length to be able to get them to wake you out of it.

this started happening to me when i was around 12 or 13 and i had no idea what the hell was going on so i thought i was being abducted by aliens and never told anyone about it. it went away for a while then came back in my 20's worse than ever. I haven't had it in a couple years, but I've read that it can occur from stress.

It used to happen a lot more when I would nap during the daytime when I was working night shifts. I would get the pinned down feeling, couldn't move anything but my eyes and the only way to wake would be to jerk my head back and forth. If I would try hard enough and for long enough, eventually my neck would jerk and I'd wake out of it. Sometimes I would fall asleep right back into it though, so I'd have to get out of bed and move around for a bit.

I remember also reading that you should just not give into the fear and ride it out and not wake. So I tried this a couple times and holy fucking hell it got so much worse and more intense. The hag would appear at the end of the bed, the auditory hallucinations would get insane and the fear would be like nothing you can describe.

I decided once to try rolling with it through all of this and attempt to experience an OBE. It got so intense it felt like I was inside a jet engine, hard to explain but just this pressure sound in my ears. Then I felt myself rise out of my body, I felt like I was floating up and out of the room, I got as far as a sitting position and then I woke, and I haven't had it since then.

• Like 1

i think sleep paralysis is pretty common. however, to have it happen as often as you do is most likely abnormal and something you should seek treatment for.

it happens to me whenever i sleep in a new or unfamiliar place. in college it would happen whenever i came home for break and when i returned as well. i was taking ambien at the time so that might have been a contributing factor.

what is also weird to note is that sleep paralysis experiences have a lot of shared characteristics like with taking dmt.

Fuck I used to have this all the fucking time meatloaf I thought I was trippin out but you explained it right on point. The first time this happend to me I was laying down then I felt like if my body was falling and rising as if in a rollercoaster. At one point when I would sleep in my living room I had the most shit in your pants expirience. I was going thru the sleep paralysis and I saw a dark man like figure all black I was trying to get away but he kept pulling my leg honestly it feels so fucking real. And my eyes would be open but I cant talk,move. All I can do is blink,think,and breath. I found those experiences Quite scary cause it gets so bad at times. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this. It could drive you crazy. Rarely Now I have it. I would have it everyday. At one point I actually wanted to see if I can cause it on my own and I did. I'm done with that though. This could really fuck with your head and sleep. It will go away eventually.

nah they gave me hydrocodone, but my roommate gave me some of his percoset and my girl gave me a few halves of her take-home methadone dosage.

hahaha i was like fuckkkk i want that dentist he must be handin out the nitrous tanks.

maybe you heads with sleep problems should try valerian root or other holistic supplements. i figure if i'm taking shit to get a relaxed sleep, waking up in a body freezing hell might not happen.

Last time it happened to me was about a year ago.

I didn't know there was a name for it, but stumbled upon it on the internetz around that time.

Has happened off & on since I was a kid but hasn't happened in a while.

Often times it feels like you're half asleep and unsure if you're dreaming or not, and you can't move at all. Sometimes it's accompanied by the feeling of a "presence" in the room, either audibly, visually, or sometimes you "feel" it through touch. Like someone or something is in your room or in your bed. You may feel it touch you and sometimes you won't.

But to the people that are "frightened" by it - it's perfectly normal and harmless. Most people will experience it at some point. It has something to do with the brain still sending signals to the body that it's still "asleep" even if your eyes are open, and takes a moment for everything to normalize.

• Like 1

henry-fuseli-the-nightmare-1781.jpg

Talked to a friend a few days ago about the same thing apparently triggered more often when you sleep on your back and can be avoided if you sleep on your side. I've had it happen to me multiple times. Scientific explanation I hear about it is your body naturally paralyzes itself in R.E.M. sleep so you don't act out motions in your dream. If you wake up or interrupt this stage and wake up in the middle people can experience third person out of body experiences with the effects of being suffocated paralyzed crushed etc. Non science explanation people often refer to demons succubus etc, crazy stuff like apparently Adams first wife named Lilith like the mother of all demons targeting women to kill their unborn sons stealing male seeds to spawn demons etc. As for me I've had bland paralyzed states waking up and craziest was similar to yours I woke up third person view saw dark figures over my bed heard like chanting getting louder and woke up in anxiety a cold sweat with a burning sensation in my stomach and felt the like I dropped 3 feet in the air to my bed and heard a loud almost unnatural loud bark that was ringing in my ear after I woke up. Oh yeah also apparently triggered more often if you can and lucid dream a lot, I can lucidly have to almost strain and can snap myself out of it and sleep in general when I am dreaming.

This has happened to me a few times now, i remember the last time it happened recently i didnt know wtf was happening, it took me a few minutes to realize what was goin on and i finally managed to get my toe to move.

but now i TRY to make this happen, seeing as you can experience lucid dreaming from this..

its super hard though, and i have not been successful yet.

although it has been a lot easier when you do some form of opiate.. i do remember when i smoked H all the time this shit would happen constantly.

Sleep paralysis is definitely a real condition. It happens and has happened to me a few times, in jail oddly enough. Most all of the research is theory though. Never been any definitive answers as to why it happens or how to stop it. It has nothing to do with the DMT produced endogenously within the mammalian brain. DMT has also never been associated correctly with REM sleep patterns...

What I do know from personal experience is that SP only happened for me when I slept on my back. Rather I might say that I 'woke' up laying on my back. There was an incredible pressure pushing down on my rib cage and chest area. My eyes seemed open and I could hear and process much of what was going on around me at the time. Yet I was unable to move and speak. It felt like my brain was sending signals to my limbs- 'move, sit up'. You know, but they weren't being received properly. Then at some point my nervous system snapped out of it and I was up, thinking 'the fuck is this? The fuck was that?'

Total confusion, even though I had heard of SP before. As I said earlier- SP has happened to me just a few times and all three of those incidents occured during an extended stay in Santa Rita Jail. During this time I was dealing with a lot of stress. And my sleep patterns were as fucked as they had ever been.

Also, the Asian guys I was locked up with had an interesting take on the whole sleep paralysis phenomenon. We got into the discussion over a huge bag of pruno as I started explaining some of the scientific reasoning behind SP, all of them cut me off at once and they began basically telling ghost stories. Claiming it's spirits. Eastern philosophy type shit.

One OG Cambodian said it happens to him all the time. Over the years he learned to control it and can now basically lucid dream at will. He said to me "You ever get stuck like that again, just wiggle your toes!" I took it as good advice.

i get sleep paralysis once in a while, but my regular dreams are what fuck me up in the head. gruesome, gory, murder scenes, chases... blood and motherfucking guts. its really really unpleasant to dream about (and vividly visualize) a little kid getting destroyed by a moving train or seeing someone get stabbed to death or something.

i always thought people were supposed to wake upjust before the death/gore starts, i see it all.

i also regularly get the 'dream inside a dream' thing going on. just last night infact. it always trips me out because when i wake up for real i have that lingering sensation of 'is this reality or just another dream??' a month or so ago- when i was sick- i had i think my first dream inside a dream inside a dream. TRIPPY.

/no inception- my dream patterns have been going on like this as long as i can remember.

yo i've definitely had this shit happen to me. however, i don't call it sleep paralysis because it only happened at my girls old house. I call it "shadow dude scaring the fuck out of me and disappearing into the wall." shit is so creepy, only after real awful nightmares too (and my nightmares are already pretty fucking bad). I always got the feeling that this thing was causing the nightmare, rather than vice-versa. I'm superstitious though..