iMac user recommendations

desism_ktc

So I am finally making the switch from the dark side of windows to the world of iMac. I have done some research and heard all the sales pitches from the Apple reps and the boys in Best Buy blue. I want to hear from those that are using iMac's.

I have settled on the 27 inch, that is certain but I am lost at which version to get.

Here are some questions\concerns..let me know what you think...

-I heard there were some issues with the quad core units? Anyone experience this?

Is there a big and noticeable difference in the Imac series I3, I5 and I7 processors?

-Antivirus is it needed?

-Is there a real need to get the 1 GB video, I may be doing some small video editing projects but this unit will be used to do more graphic design work.

-What programs\applications other than Office (I am getting this through work) do you guys recommend?

-Also any websites or books you recommend for a newbie Mac from the PC world??

This unit is intended to last ame about 5 years and I am not really concerned if I need to upgrade memory in a year or two...

Thanks in advance...

GOGP

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

congrats Ghost.. you will be very pleased!

that should last you more than 5 years.

about the antivirus..

taken from another thread but so very true.....

also: i feel like people should stop using the phrase "less susceptible to viruses" because it's provably not true. They get viruses. It's just that since they only have about 5% of the market share not enough people are specifically trying to attack them. But trust they are VERY SUSCEPTIBLE to viruses.

The best way i heard it described was "PCs are like a house in a bad neighborhood with 30 locks and gates on the window and macs are like a wide open house out in the boondocks"

i made the switch a few years ago and wondered to myself why i didnt do it before.

i do recommend getting the VLC multimedia that can play ANY media file. this way you wont have to experience certain files that "wont" play on a mac.

can-your-mac-do-this.jpg

• Like 1

So I am finally making the switch from the dark side of windows to the world of iMac. I have done some research and heard all the sales pitches from the Apple reps and the boys in Best Buy blue. I want to hear from those that are using iMac's.

I have settled on the 27 inch, that is certain but I am lost at which version to get.

Here are some questions\concerns..let me know what you think...

-I heard there were some issues with the quad core units? Anyone experience this?

Is there a big and noticeable difference in the Imac series I3, I5 and I7 processors?

-Antivirus is it needed?

-Is there a real need to get the 1 GB video, I may be doing some small video editing projects but this unit will be used to do more graphic design work.

-What programs\applications other than Office (I am getting this through work) do you guys recommend?

-Also any websites or books you recommend for a newbie Mac from the PC world??

This unit is intended to last ame about 5 years and I am not really concerned if I need to upgrade memory in a year or two...

Thanks in advance...

GOGP

i have 23 inch at work and it still seems very large

i have not (yet) experienced ANY issue with the quad core. i have an old laptop at home and a new desktop at work. i haven't noticed major differences in the processor speed, but i don't usually run more than 3 programs at once on the laptop.

i haven't ever had mac anti-virus/spyware/malware ever.

now i've jinxed myself, i better go get some.

i dunno, that's prolly up to the user. if you're careful you probably won't need it.

if you're only doing a few small vid editing projects you'll be good. i was using my laptop before i filled it. and the thing is 3 years old.

as for programs, i've heard aperture is good but i haven't even seen it, much less used it

i still stick with the old standbys, itunes, iphoto, illustrator, photoshop and office.

i do prefer preview to acrobat but obviously it's not going to do what acrobat pro does.

i like the firefox browser more than safari or chrome

can't recommend any books, i've never needed one.

the only issue i have had is that when i download movie torrents, i can't convert them to a format my laptop will play, or to dvd format. i know that's my own fault though.

• Like 1

Also, there is no such thing as antivirus software for macs, at least I've never heard of it.

http://www.clamxav.com/

Not really a necessity if you don't run your machine as root.

My two cents-

1. Go with whatever model offers the best processor and graphics card within your budget. You can always upgrade the memory and add a monitor as needed.

2. Get Applejack, AKA CCleaner for Macs. Keeps things tidy.

3. Read up on how the terminal works.

• Like 1

sure. Keep your PC. If you really feel like spending some money upgrade

the processor and add memory

Then.... Download Linux mint and or gnome or whatever then make it look like OSX

Heres how you do it.

Linux is based off UNIX. Mac is UNIX BSD. All that apple is really selling is their fancy user interface.

Similar architecture, less fragmentation, secure, fast, free.

my 2 cents

Guest Ginger Bread Man
a 27in monitor is very large, tho it may look cool I just dont see it as very practical while working on a project. A 20.5in is more than enough.

have you worked on a project which requires 5 programs running over 3 - 27" monitors?

with certain workflows, screen real estate is essential.