Libya

!@#$%

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't they pass a resolution that said it was illegal for any country to allow Ghaddafi to access their country? so now they have got a situation where he cannot take the backdoor out the country and basically is left with a fight to the death.

Seems a bit retarded to me if that is the case.

I was also wondering, is The United States at war with Libya now?

If so, how do you guys think this will affect the already stretched out U.S Military

The U.S needs to stop being a damn police force and let the UN handle everything, even though handling things is exactly what they dont do.

So the U.N sets and international mandate to stop Ghadaffi and we bomb another country under U.N orders? let me quote Barack Obama here...

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."

so I guess this mandate doesn't fall under the Constitutional category.

i'm not supporting Ghadaffi here because I think he is a tyrant and needs to go, and the people of Libya have legitimate grievances but just like Farrakhan said this entire thing is full of hypocrisy. Are we now going to intervene in every situation on the planet that requires a humanitarian response with air strikes because the U.N says so? Not to mention that this will undoubtedly foster even more hatred against the U.S/Europe from the middle east, we are bombing and killing even more of them. It's definitely not making us any safer... not that I personally am very concerned about national security, but for a government who seems so deeply concerned about our safety they sure take every opportunity to go around the world pissing people off.

And christo, you always seem to downplay the moral stigma that surrounds this nation. To claim that there is no right or wrong, that there is only can or can't... you're definitely correct because that is clearly the way our military industrial complex operates... but what about all the noble rhetoric and reasoning behind why we always seem to intervene in situations around the world and get involved in war in the first place. The reality of the situation is always the obvious can or can't, but the reasoning and propaganda that gets us involved is always right or wrong. Why is it that the U.S behaves like the white knight of the world, but then when people call out the hypocrisy, the real reasoning behind why we got involved comes out and no one seems to give a fuck at that point.

alright heres my input. america needs to stay the fuck out of everyones damn business. if gahdafi wants to kill civilians let him kill civilians. a resistance arose and an take care of the problem. its costs millions upon millions of dollars in fuel, ordanance, etc. to do what we're doing now. we are putting US sailors, airmen and special forces in peril to fight a war that was started because one guy in a suit halfway across the world thinks its wrong to kill civilians. if the people hate the guy so much then get the fuck out of the country.

thats like you sitting at home with your family and your neighbor start shooting at you becuase he doesent like your music that he cant even hear. he wants you to listen to his music and think like he thinks. god fucking forbid that someone be different from america

and as for the rebels the guerilla fighters in almost every war have won. im pretty sure they could win this one by themselves.

Russia Times?

Puh-lease.

Prison Planet, Debka File, Russia Times, Fox News.

Anyone who quotes these as useful information needs to check themselves.

yup.

it's still funny to me that americans are arrogant enough to think that people living under a dictatorship in a 3rd world country have any power over their lives at all. good one br0

im curious to hear exactly what sources are good info?

while im not a fan of any of the sources listed, what is a good source?

cnn? msnbc? are maddow and olbermann any different than hannity and oreilly?

that's exactly what i was wondering...

in this age of information, who is it that you really CAN trust? that's why i collect tidbits from every available source and try to come up with my own personal analysis. i don't dismiss information just because it is coming from an unpopular or unattractive source, and i don't uphold other sources as more credible than others based off of their longstanding reputation. i've seen plenty of disinformation come from major "credible" sources in the past, i have no reason to trust them just as much as i have to trust anyone else.

from the statist mother jones:

“The United States will join in a multilateral fight for democracy and humanitarian aims when it is in the nation’s interest and when the locals are involved and desire US participation. In short, the Anti-Bush Doctrine.”

paging orwell...

this is not the anti bush doctrine, this IS the bush doctrine.

more proof obama is currently giving us bush's third term.

besides kucinich (who im sure is against this military action) where is the 'anti war' left?

And christo, you always seem to downplay the moral stigma that surrounds this nation. To claim that there is no right or wrong, that there is only can or can't... you're definitely correct because that is clearly the way our military industrial complex operates... but what about all the noble rhetoric and reasoning behind why we always seem to intervene in situations around the world and get involved in war in the first place. The reality of the situation is always the obvious can or can't, but the reasoning and propaganda that gets us involved is always right or wrong. Why is it that the U.S behaves like the white knight of the world, but then when people call out the hypocrisy, the real reasoning behind why we got involved comes out and no one seems to give a fuck at that point.

the noble words are to frame it in a way acceptable to those that need to justify their actions to a domestic constituency (always good to keep in mind 'never take a politician's words at face value').

Usually when the truth comes out, if it ever does, people have either moved on, have had their attention diverted or are simply satisfied to say 'see, I told you so', but that's it. People are very motivated to talk about things but few are actually motivated enough to dedicate themselves to real, rational actions.

im curious to hear exactly what sources are good info?

while im not a fan of any of the sources listed, what is a good source?

cnn? msnbc? are maddow and olbermann any different than hannity and oreilly?

Why do you only offer other US outlets as alternatives?

I can't tell you if those people are any better because they are idiots and I don't watch any of them.

First piece of advice I can offer is stop watching 'opinionists' like Maddow, Hannity, Beck, John Stewart (ok, at least he is amusing at times) and all these types of people. They are not giving you the news they are giving you their opinion. Fuck their opinion, who are they? Ignore that shit for starters. If you're looking for opinion there are enough qualified organisations and people out there that will give you qualified opinion rather than the agenda laden tripe any of those fools will dish you up. They are TV personalites designed to create advertising revenue, not actually inform you of anything.

BAsically, getting away from the TV is a great start. Read read read read read, which I believe most here do already. Educate yourself to the point where you only need to look for 'facts' and then form your own opinion, maybe after you've heard a few other qualified opinions on a matter. That's it.

As for where to find 'facts' I usually just sweep through a lot of stuff. I watch the wires like Reuters, AFP, AP, Kyodo, Yonhap, Xinhua, Dow Jones, DPA and so on. I check NYT, WaPo, WSJ, FT and Bloomberg at least once a day. I also read regional stuff like Al Arabiya, Gulf News, Jakarta Post, Bangkok Post, Express Tribune, Dawn, Ria Novosti, Interfax, etc., when there is an issue that is localised. All that kind of stuff is for day to day issues, keeping informed on a short term basis.

For a higher altitude view I either subscribe or am on mailing lists with groups/publications such as International Crisis Group, Eurasia Group, Foreign Policy Magazine, STRATFOR, Foreign Affairs, International Security Journal, RAND, Christian Science Monitor, Janes Intelligence, SIPRI, Global Security, Federation of American Scientists, etc.

And then of course you can also look at stuff yourself, such as UNSC resolutions, energy import quotas, actual texts of free trade deals, arms transfers, whatever. All that raw data is most of the time published, you just gotta take the time to read through it and understand it rather than having Hannity or Olbermann tell you what they think about it.

Nearly unknown in the West: Libya's water resources!

The 1st of September marked the anniversary of the opening of a major stage for Libya's Great Man-Made River Project. This incredibly huge and successful water scheme is virtually unknown in the West, yet it rivals and even surpasses our greatest development projects. The leader of the so-called advanced countries, the United States of America, cannot bring itself to acknowledge Libya's Great Man-Made River. The West refuses to recognize that a small country, with a population of no more than four million, can construct anything so large without borrowing a single cent from the international banks.

...In the 1960s during oil exploration deep in the southern Libyan desert, vast reservoirs of high quality water were discovered in the form of aquifers. ...

PIPES

In Libya there are four major underground basins, these being the Kufra basin, the Sirt basin, the Morzuk basin and the Hamada basin, the first three of which contain combined reserves of 35,000 cubic kilometres of water. These vast reserves offer almost unlimited amounts of water for the Libyan people.

Self-sufficiency?!? Absolutely Not Allowed. banksters don't like that sort of thing one bit. A gala ceremony was held in Libya at the end of August, 1991 ...

Joining in celebrating the inauguration of the artificial river were dozens of Arab and African heads of state and hundreds of other foreign diplomats and delegations. Among them were Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, King Hassan of Morocco, the head of Sudan, Gen. Omar El Beshir, and Djibouti's President Hassan Julied.

Col. Muammar Qaddafi told the celebrants: "After this achievement, American threats against Libya will double... The United States will make excuses, but the real reason is to stop this achievement, to keep the people of Libya oppressed."

Libya only has a population of 4 million, huh?

Think you may want to check the sources that you're reading there, hombre.

...., not even going to mention the obvious biases in the article.

FROM WIKI These are largely due to its large petroleum reserves and low population.[12][13] Libya is one of the world's 10 richest oil-producing countries.

2006 census 5,670,688

why dont you check your sources ? know it all

Non-profit independent radio is always nice. They aren't selling any products or protecting advertisers, because... well... there aren't any advertisers, it's funded by community donations.

as far as the U.S. goes I have been listening to NPR, Democracy Now!, Wisconsin Public Radio etc