Libya

!@#$%

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 February 2011 Last updated at 15:04 ET

Libya: Celebrations in opposition-controlled east

The BBC's Jon Leyne is one of the first foreign journalists to enter Libya since the anti-government protests erupted last week. He reports from the east of the country, where the military has largely abandoned Col Muammar Gaddafi.

We arrived in Libya through a border post now completely controlled by the opposition.

There were delirious celebrations there over the fact that they had vanquished Col Gaddafi's forces and Col Gaddafi's government.

There are no government officials at the border, the minimum of formalities. They are flying a new flag; there is a picture of Muammar Gaddafi crossed out.

Everyone here has an assortment of uniforms. Lots of people have got hold of a cap of some kind, but there are no forces loyal to Col Gaddafi anywhere in the area.

:D

As you drive away from the border, there are a series of checkpoints. There are actually some army and police officers there - they have all defected to the opposition. Locals are even acting as traffic police.

We are told that the local garrison defected on the very first day of the protests, and government resistance collapsed very quickly.

Life is really quite normal. There is electricity and the phones are working, to a degree.

On the Egyptian side of the border, there are thousands and thousands of Egyptian workers fleeing the conflict, equally deliriously happy to have got back home.

They tell stories of gunfire, how they were confined to their homes and how some Egyptian workers were attacked by Gaddafi loyalists.

But here in eastern Libya, the army is now deployed on the side of the people to protect them against any possible attacks by Col Gaddafi's forces.

"Some students at Tripoli's Academy of Graduate Studies were offered free master's degrees if they joined Gadhafi supporters in Green Square, a source said. Some people in Tripoli were offered money to put pictures of Gadhafi on their cars and go to Green Square, the source said."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/22/libya.protests/index.html?hpt=T1

"My Libyan source said that Gaddafi has told people around him that he knows he cannot retake Libya with the forces he has. But what he can do is make the rebellious tribes and army officers regret their disloyalty, turning Libya into another Somalia. "I have the money and arms to fight for a long time," Gaddafi reportedly said."

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2052961,00.html?hpt=T1

1440: France is coming out with increasingly strong statements on Libya. Foreign affairs minister Laurent Wauquiez says the president wants France to suspend all its trade, economic and financial relations with Tripoli, adding:"To be clear, we shall not let what is happening in Libya take place with impunity."

: More on the Libyan air force plane which crashed after its crew refused to bomb the city of Benghazi. Reuters says Libya's Quryna newspaper has quoted a military source, a colonel at an air base near the city, as saying captain Attia Abdel Salem al Abdali and his number two Ali Omar Gaddafi bailed out of the Russian-made Sukhoi-22 plane and parachuted to earth.

23 February 2011 Last updated at 08:46 ET

Libya protests: Pressure mounts on isolated Gaddafi

Col Gaddafi's speech on Tuesday was greeted with anger and derision by protesters

Pressure has mounted on isolated Libyan ruler Col Muammar Gaddafi after a chorus of international condemnation and resignations by top officials.

The man considered the colonel's number two, Interior Minister Abdel Fattah Younes al-Abidi, is among senior figures who have joined the opposition.

The UN Security Council demanded an end to the violence on Tuesday, while the Arab League suspended Libya.

Protesters greeted an angry speech by the veteran leader with defiance.

The BBC's Jon Leyne, in eastern Libya, says people there believe the government now controls just a few pockets of territory including parts of the capital Tripoli and the southern town of Sabha.

Libyans here reacted with anger and derision to Colonel Gaddafi's defiant speech. They fear he's out to destroy the country before he's finally deposed.

There are reports that some forces loyal to the Libyan leader, possibly foreign mercenaries, have attacked an airbase in the east of the country.

But apart from that, he's lost complete control of this area, which is now patrolled by local militias. The belief here is that government control is now down to a few pockets, including parts of the capital Tripoli and other strongholds including the southern town of Sabha.

As well as Col Gaddafi's interior minister, many senior generals have also defected, including General Mahmud, the commander here in the east and a veteran of the 1969 revolution.

Col Gaddafi's support is down to an inner core, but he's clearly not going to give up the fight.

1454: Iyad El-Baghdadi, who describes himself as an Islamic libertarian, has put together this useful map in an attempt to show who controls what in Libya.

http://yfrog.com/h3un88j

2025: As if responding to Mrs Clinton's speech, the UK's Telegraph newspaper has a thought-provoking opinion piece arguing: "Why should these matters be left to the Americans, or to Nato forces? Are other Arab leaders so intent on saving their own necks, or so wary of fomenting insurrection elsewhere, that they will do nothing beyond denouncing Gaddafi?"

*well said, Telegraph

2023: US secretary of state Hillary Clinton speaks on Libya: "We have to get the international community together - to that end we joined a very strong UN security council statement yesterday. We are joining the rest of the world in sending a message to the Libyan government that it will be held accountable."

damn. he must have a gorgeous harem

Gaddafi's daughter aisha (former) goodwill ambassador

62643375-aisha-gaddafi.jpg

2140: Col Gaddafi's daughter Aisha tells state TV she has no information about the UN's decision to strip her of her role as a goodwill ambassador (see 2017 entry). She also denies earlier reports that she tried to flee to Malta

2025: As if responding to Mrs Clinton's speech, the UK's Telegraph newspaper has a thought-provoking opinion piece arguing: "Why should these matters be left to the Americans, or to Nato forces? Are other Arab leaders so intent on saving their own necks, or so wary of fomenting insurrection elsewhere, that they will do nothing beyond denouncing Gaddafi?"

*well said, Telegraph

2023: US secretary of state Hillary Clinton speaks on Libya: "We have to get the international community together - to that end we joined a very strong UN security council statement yesterday. We are joining the rest of the world in sending a message to the Libyan government that it will be held accountable."

True, I was discussing this lately with my mates. Everybody is talking about how the usa, the nato or (here in europe) the european union should take action. While nobody is asking whether the Arab League or the African Union should take matter in their own hands. I guess they are too busy watching over their own country.

According to STRATFOR sources Ukrainian mercenaries and jet pilots are operating in Lybia. The Ukrainian ministry of defence denied the presence of official army members in Lybia but did not comment on the presence of private security services.

Meanwhile there seems to be a concentration of thousands of African mercenaries in the city centre of Tripoli.

http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/22282.asp

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,747383,00.html (German)

when all else fails, blame.....bin laden?!

Libya protests: Gaddafi says Bin Laden to blame

Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi has told state TV that Osama Bin Laden and his followers are to blame for the protests wracking his country.

In a phone call from the town of al-Zawiya played live on TV, Col Gaddafi said young people were being duped with drugs and alcohol to take part in "destruction and sabotage".

Col Gaddafi is battling to shore up control of Tripoli and western areas.

Protesters have been consolidating gains in cities in the east.

'This is your country'

The telephone call was said to be an address to the people of al-Zawiya, 50km (30 miles) west of the capital, where there has been renewed gunfire reported in the streets.

Col Gaddafi said the protesters had no genuine demands and were being dictated to by the al-Qaeda leader.

"Bin Laden ... this is the enemy who is manipulating people. Do not be swayed by Bin Laden," he said.

"It is obvious now that this issue is run by al-Qaeda. Those armed youngsters, our children, are incited by people who are wanted by America and the Western world.

"Those inciting are very few in numbers and we have to capture them."

He said the young protesters were "trigger happy and they shoot especially when they are stoned with drugs".

He said that Libya was not like Egypt and Tunisia, which have seen their leaders deposed, because the people of Libya had it in their own hands to change their lives through committees.

"This is your country and it is up to you how to deal with it," he said.

Calling the situation in al-Zawiya a "farce", he urged families to rein in their sons, saying many of the protesters were underage and beyond the reach of the law.

But he also vowed that those carrying out violent protests should be put on trial.

This was Col Gaddafi's second live TV appearance since the protests erupted on 15 February.

On Tuesday he said he would die a martyr in Libya and fight to the "last drop" of his blood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12570279

oh, the dictator bubble.

what a place to live in...he has now fingered al-qaeda in a scheme to drug libyans into protesting.. what desperation

It's impossible for me to communicate how fucking sick I am of reading about the Middle East.

If I have to memorise one more Hassan bin Khalifa bin Qaboos bin Sayyaf Younis Mustafa al Fuckhead type name I'm going to sign up with Darth Chenney and advocate we nuke everything everywhere.

Seriously, Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Kuwait, Iraq, Qatar, Oman, Yemen and Bahrain all at the same fucking time (not to forget China, Croatia, Albania, Jordan, Uganda, Pakistan and Vietnam that are all either already having demonstrations, moving towards having demonstrations or are on a knife's edge to having them).

I love my humus as much as the next camel but enough is e-fucking-nough, already.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

oh yeah, i don't see him exiting.

just would love to see his show of force stopped.

disgusting what is/was happening in Benghazi, and if we hadn't spent our middle eastern collateral invading sovereign iraq, we'd be able to get in there and do it up right

oh well :(

LOL Gaddaffi got scared. He was all: "We will crush the enemy in Benghazi and will show no mercy as we exterminate the vermin."

Then the UN passes a no-fly resolution and Obama says Gaddaffi should issue a cease-fire or face military action.

Gaddaffi is like "Hey I was about to issue a cease-fire myself, I'm glad you asked. I was just joking earlier brah."

• Like 1