Wisconsin

laughslast

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wisconsin governor rejects negotiations on controversial budget bill

MADISON, Wisconsin (CNN) -- Wisconsin's growing demonstration over a budget bill continues Monday with guitarist Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine fame planning to play for the protesters a day after Republican Gov. Scott Walker signaled no retreat on the measure. Supporters call the bill vital, but opponents label it union-busting.

The growing crowds gathering daily in Madison, the state capital, over the issue exceeded 50,000 on Saturday, according to an official estimate, and shows no sign of abating.

The budget repair bill proposed by Walker to address a $137 million shortfall through June 30 would increase contributions of state workers to their pensions and health insurance benefits. It also requires collective bargaining units to conduct annual votes to maintain certification, a costly procedure, and eliminates the right of unions to have dues deducted from worker paychecks.

Last week, 14 Democratic state senators essentially boycotted the legislature and went to Illinois to prevent a quorum from passing the bill. The measure's opponents say they won't allow a vote unless Walker negotiates on the plan to eliminate collective bargaining rights for everything but wages.

Walker rejected such a deal Sunday in an interview on "FOX News Sunday."

He called the Democratic complaint of union-busting "a red herring" and said significant changes were needed for budgetary reasons, but that powerful public employee unions had been able to block the necessary adjustments.

On Saturday, Tea Party activists supporting the bill brought a new dimension to the street demonstration. "Wisconsin is ground zero," said Tim Phillips, president of Americans for Prosperity. "I think it is going to determine largely whether the pampered nature of these public employees is finally reined in."

One of the missing Democratic state senators, Jon Erpenbach, said all state and local public employees -- including teachers -- have agreed to the financial aspects of Walker's requested concessions on paying more for employee health care and pensions.

"In return they ask only that the provisions that deny their right to collectively bargain are removed," Erpenbach said. "This will solve the budget challenge."

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney addressed the continued protests Friday, saying President Barack Obama "is very understanding of the need for state governments, governors, state legislatures to reduce spending to make tough choices to be fiscally responsible."

But he added, "He also feels very strongly that we need not to make this an assault on the collective bargaining rights of workers in any given state.

"He understands public employees need to make sacrifices just like everyone else."

Walker and other Republicans criticized Obama on Sunday for getting involved in the issue, calling it inappropriate.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/02/21/wisconsin.budget/index.html?hpt=T2

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/us/21wisconsin.html?ref=politics

As the protests went on through falling sleet and snow, some lawmakers suggested that a compromise might yet be possible over the cuts that Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican, has proposed. A spokesman for Dale Schultz, a moderate Republican senator, said that Mr. Schultz supported Mr. Walker, particularly in his assessment that the state budget situation was dire, but that Mr. Schultz also hoped to work to preserve collective bargaining rights.

Chris Larson, a Senate Democrat, said he, too, sensed some “wavering” among the Republican coalition that is expected to pass the measure.

Mr. Walker’s plan would require government workers to put 5.8 percent of their pay into their pensions (most pay less than 1 percent now), and would require them to pay at least 12.6 percent of health care premiums (most pay about 6 percent now). Union leaders said they would go along with those plans, but they wanted to remove provisions that would prohibit collective bargaining for issues beyond wages, limit pay raises to a certain level without special approval by public referendum and require unions to hold annual votes on whether they should remain in existence.

“We have been clear — and I will restate this again today — money issues are off the table,” Mary Bell, the president of the Wisconsin Education Association Council, said on Sunday. “Public employees have agreed to Governor Walker’s pension and health care concessions, which he says will solve the budget challenge.”

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/21/133932040/Wisconsin-Protests

Wis. Republican: Union Changes Key To Fixing Budget

Steve Inskeep: Unions have already said that they will give the financial concessions you want; they say the budget is fixed here effectively. Why is that not the end of the story?

Sen. Scott Fitzgerald: What Gov. Walker is preparing to do next week is announce his full budget, which will include deep, deep cuts in education as well as shared revenue, which is the dollars the state sends to local levels of government, county and municipal government. These cuts are so significant that both mayors and school board presidents will need a ton of flexibility to be able to survive them, to be able to put a budget together that will be able to absorb these deep, deep cuts. And the way to do that is by limiting the collective bargaining that currently exists in Wisconsin.

NPR:But I want to make sure I understand this. Mary Bell, the president of the Wisconsin Education Association Council, says: "Money issues are off the table. Public employees have agreed to Gov. Walker's pension and health care concessions, which he says will solve the budget challenge." Is she not telling the truth?

SF:She's telling half the truth. What she's not really acknowledging is that 80 percent of a school's budget, 75 percent of a county's budget in Wisconsin is made up of salaries and benefits.

NPR:And she's saying she'll give you the concessions. I don't understand.

SF:Well, and even with those concessions, it still does not allow those locally elected officials the ability to be able to manage that. Everything from workplace safety to some of the egregious items that are part of collective bargaining now in Wisconsin have a fiscal piece to it. And you know, Mary's not acknowledging that right now.

NPR:Are you also trying to change those — are you actually trying to change those collective bargaining issues? Because it seems this would end collective bargaining for pensions and benefits which seems different from work rules to me.

SF:The one thing we thought was reasonable is that, you know, the union should be able to sit down and work through wages. The rest of it can be decided by the school boards and county boards and elected officials ...

NPR: Doesn't this even limit wage negotiations to a certain amount?

SF:Well, there's a cap on where they can go and, again, fits into the full governor's budget that gets us out of this mess. You know, we're the tip of the spear, that's obvious. There are six other states that are absolutely on the verge of bankruptcy. And it seems more appropriate to get everyone who's a public employee worker a haircut than massive layoffs, and that's the other thing that's looming out there if we don't make some significant changes here.

So Mary Bell and those that represent ASME [American Society of Mechanical Engineers] in Wisconsin are saying, listen, we're not going to allow the flexibility that ultimately will be needed. So what we need to do is simply wait to see the governor's budget, which will be announced next week.

NPR:Sen. Fitzgerald, I want to give you a full opportunity to answer the charge that's been made against your side, and this is the way some people might put it at this time. A couple of years ago, a Democratic Congress in Washington was about to turn to health care, and they generated widespread protest from people who specifically said Democrats were taking advantage of a crisis to push their own agenda. Are you taking advantage of a crisis now to push against unions because they do not politically support you?

SF:No, these unions were created in 1970 by the Wisconsin Legislature, and over the last 40 years what's happened is through arbitration and other negotiations, the scales have been tipped in favor of the unions. And the problem with that is we're hearing from local elected officials that are saying listen, our hands are tied. We walk to the table, and the best we can do is the first offer. So there's definitely I think a longtime perspective on this in that things have incrementally become worse and worse and worse in relation to school boards and county boards being able to negotiate with the public employees.

walker2.jpg

Recall this fucking bastard.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_7f7b33ce-3f6e-11e0-b629-001cc4c002e0.html

"Republican Gov. Scott Walker, believing he was getting a telephone call from billionaire campaign contributor David Koch, discussed the possibility of "planting some troublemakers" among people protesting his budget repair bill and confidential strategies for pushing the bill through — all with a New York-based blogger who recorded the call."

Charles+and+David+Koch.jpg

Meet the Koch brothers

Among Koch Industries’ better known subsidiaries across various industries are:

* Georgia-Pacific paper and pulp company, maker of Brawny paper towels, Angel Soft toilet paper, Mardi Gras napkins and towels and Quilted Northern toilet paper.

* Invista, a polymer and fibers company that makes Stainmaster carpet, and Lycra fiber, among other products.

* Koch Pipeline Company LP, that owns and operates 4,000 miles of pipeline used to transport oil, natural gas liquids and chemicals.

* Flint Hill Resources LP, that operates oil refineries in six states.

* Koch Fertilizer, LLC, owns or has interests in fertilizer plants the United States, Canada, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela, and Italy, among others.

Another thing included in the budget bill that a lot of people are not talking about is that the Koch brothers are set to control all of the state-owned power plants, thus having an energy monopoly in this state. They backed the mass media propaganda campaign against Climate Change, they are not the kind of people you want running our energy!

If you support workers rights boycott these fucks!

http://www.followthemoney.org/database/StateGlance/contributor_details.phtml?c=116585&PHPSESSID=22bf189f0c094786e168070a7a7c97dd

I have been there everyday, and have crashed the past two nights there.. I slept under a statue of Lady Liberty last night with a bunch of fellow radicals and union dudes. I wish I could share more about what's been going on, but I am just so fucking busy and now backed up in homework up the wazoo.

One thing I will say is that the press coverage fucking sucks, there is so much awesome stuff going on. A lot of people in this city are waking up to the fact that our government is not working for us. There is literature posted all around the inside of the capitol walls with irrefutable information of campaign contributions, details of the budget proposal and how they benefit his top contributors and so on. The craziest part is that most of the police are on our side too!

I have not eaten this well in a long time. The community is backing us, and there is free, healthy food available 24/7, there are lawyers and former vietnam activists doing civil disobedience training and so on. Shits been quite the journey.

EgyptSupportsWisconsin.png

• Like 1

5454250001_e45cebbf84_b.jpg

Looks like its spreading to Ohio and Indiana as well....

I hate to sound cliche and compare this to Egypt, Libya and Tunisia, because they have gone through some horrifying bullshit for a long time, but I will say they have taught the world that the power belongs to the people, and If you organize you can have your voice heard...

Oh and one more thing, The supporters of the bill were expecting to gather 60,000 counter-protesters and even had corporately funded buses running people in, but authorities put their numbers around 150 the day of their rally. HA!

• Like 2

seriously cunt sauce thats sick. thanks for posting. shits been getting mild coverage but that clip about the gov. there. man that shits wild. why the fuck would you ever admit to that shit? what an idiot. but you know there are a bunch of police and swat "emergency procedures" or whatever the fuck they call them. essentially riot control. but yeah a bunch of them are posted online from groups that obtained them through FOIAs. ill look around for them.

also kinda wont really say its cliche to compare it to middle east. the us definitely has a fucking serious case of apathy so it is hella fucking rad to see people being proactive. i mean the shit going down in the middle east is a whole different meal. ya know? like different realities and pressures and means of agency. however, i think the idea of it spreading and mobilizing people is fucking cool. and i think you definitely got it right when you said "taught the world the power of the people".

pretty fucking humbling for americans. its kind of like come on you lazy fucks. y'all got all the means in the world to engage your government and you ain't doin shit about your gripes?

sorry this is getting kind of lengthy-

but in that post about the Koch Industries. How would they be controlling state owned power plants?

16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling, and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b).

http://news.firedoglake.com/2011/02/21/in-budget-bill-wisconsin-gov-walker-pushing-for-no-bid-sales-of-state-owned-power-plants/

Gov. Scott Walker's budget fix bill also grants him the ability to sell off the state's power plants with no bids. The Kochs are probably hoping that Wisconsin legislators may pass the rest of the bill in hopes of saving collective bargaining.

check it out on forbes too:

http://blogs.forbes.com/rickungar/2011/02/22/a-secret-deal-between-gov-walker-and-koch-brothers-buried-in-state-budget/

found this and thought it was kind of cool

http://slatest.slate.com/id/2285906

Egyptians Order Pizza for Wisconsin Protesters

In an act of intercontinental solidarity, an Egyptian has ordered a pizza for Wisconsin protesters, reports Politico. The call from Africa is just one of many streaming into the Madison, Wisc., pizza parlor Ian's from all over the world. So far, people from 12 countries and 38 states have rung up looking to help get free pizza to the Wisconsin protesters clustered in the Capitol. On Saturday, Ian's distributed more than 1,000 free slices and sent 300 pizzas to the Capitol. The trend continued on Sunday, as staff member fielded calls from as far away as Turkey, Korea, Finland, China, and Australia. The trend began when a mother of a University of Wisconsin student called in offering to donate $200 to feed the people occupying the Capitol. The pizza chain's postings on Twitter and Facebook soon led to so many donations that they had to shut down on Saturday night.

• 2 weeks later...

....... Gawd michel moore is the last thing i needed to see after eating.

I mean it cool and all and stuff and things cause people are all rah rah we have a voice put that soylent green away and give us real cow and what not....

But come the fuck on. Looking at general union activity its baffling this didnt happen a long ass time ago.

Although harsh... i dont fully agree with walkers plan if you seriously take the time to read that shit..it makes sense .

The issue is also streamlining a lot of jobs that just arent needed..Walker just used a hachet instead of a butter knife is all

Yall niggas protesting in a troll capital.

Smooches kid.

Glad to be on your social radar..blipping enough to warrant an irked non quoted comment based on your observance of how ive changed over the years..

I felt the same way about erich fromm ..

In other news public libraries in the short term will remain unaffected.

And a group of juggallos cut school to protest and chain smoke newports downtown in my city

Gov. Scott Walker's budget fix bill also grants him the ability to sell off the state's power plants with no bids. The Kochs are probably hoping that Wisconsin legislators may pass the rest of the bill in hopes of saving collective bargaining.

check it out on forbes too:

http://blogs.forbes.com/rickungar/2011/02/22/a-secret-deal-between-gov-walker-and-koch-brothers-buried-in-state-budget/

that forbes article is so fucked.

our government worries me because it is becoming a system run by corporations

nit because it is too big.

THEY HAD US LOCKED OUT.

BUMRUSHED THE CAPITOL TODAY.

UNSCREWED THE SCREWS IN THE WINDOWS. People be gettin' in.....

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-wisconsin-20110310,0,13926.story

"In Wisconsin, GOP maneuver pushes anti-union bill forward

Senate Republicans omit financial provisions from legislation to curb public workers' collective bargaining rights, skirting a requirement that a quorum be present."

Food is back in the building, PA systems are back, drums, saxophones, horns too! FUCK YES. Less cops too, they weren't expecting us to get in! No more bag checks or metal detector process either.

:)

Smooches kid.

Glad to be on your social radar..blipping enough to warrant an irked non quoted comment based on your observance of how ive changed over the years..

I felt the same way about erich fromm ..

In other news public libraries in the short term will remain unaffected.

And a group of juggallos cut school to protest and chain smoke newports downtown in my city

Have you read The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness? That's his best work... Proves that the Stalins and Hitlers of this world aren't unique individuals but rather a manifestation of a culture pitted towards violence, coercion and domination.

• Like 1

"What these pictures show are six hundred ordinary citizens descending on the M&I branch near the Wisconsin Capitol after learning of their purchase of the gubernatorial election last November. Two firefighters with old school ideas about saving had over $600,000 between the two of them and they demanded cashier's checks on the spot."

5517647880_e91fe83994.jpg

5517058083_3ee7a07528.jpg

5517647802_e974a95624.jpg

http://www.dane101.com/current/2011/03/10/firefighters_target_mi_bank_for_executive_support_of_walker

"M&I Bank received $1.7 billion in bailout money via President George W. Bush's Troubled Assets Relief Program."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/117756068.html

"Madison -- Teachers, firefighters and police officers said they would begin a boycott of M&I Bank if the bank does not begin publicly opposing Gov. Scott Walker's efforts to curtail collective bargaining for public workers.

Unions representing those groups said they would start other boycotts of businesses that backed Walker in his campaign.

The letter to M&I President Tom Ellis said the boycott would begin March 17 if the bank hasn't opposed Walker's efforts by then."

Oh yeah, and the bank shut down at 3pm yesterday...

What's also funny is that because of the escalating protests, the GOP Senators, Governor, and Assemblymen/women have to enter the Capitol through underground steam tunnels... These tunnels are in the Risser Justice Center basement, which is right next door to M&I Bank.

One of my coworkers is in Wisconsin for this excruciating technical course for work, texted this last night:

Oh bitter irony, i will now be up all night by car horns honking out the rhythm to, i am not making this up, "this is what democracy looks like

@ cunt.

yea ive read all available works of his.. just not really a big philosophical /psychology talker.

ch0 members have proven true fromm correct thousands of times over regarding the anatomy though.

fuck its gonna be a loooong spring,summer and fall till walker is out

unless his bill makes some magic happen asap.

i was really hoping he did this to bring light to the situation wi is in and would bust out his troll face at the last second.

guess not

EgyptSupportsWisconsin.png

Word, this dude knows whats up, the laws are really cracking down over here, my best friend got taken to jail for riding his dirtbike on the sidewalk, i mean what happened to freedom to travel in this country?? so what if he wasnt wearing his helmet,he was going 15 at the most,its not like a crash is going to kill him,at most he might scrape his knee or something..

the problems we are having in wisconsin are definitely on par with what is going on with egypt. no doubt.

btw we are fighting the traffic citation and the subsequent assault charges that followed in court this week, any support for my homeboy would be much appreciated.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/03/13/wi-repub-lives-outside-district-with-mistress-says-wife/

"Protesters who marched at the home of Wisconsin state senator Randy Hopper (R-Fond du Lac) were met with something of a surprise on Saturday. Mrs. Hopper appeared at the door and informed them that Sen. Hopper was no longer in residence at this address, but now lives in Madison, WI with his 25-year-old mistress."

"Mrs. Hopper intends to sign the recall petition against her husband. The petition has already been signed by the family's maid."

• 2 weeks later...

fuck this walker dude.

one of the aspects that gets overlooked is unions can no longer have dues deducted automatically from paychecks. since unions are the largest supporters of dems, walker was hoping to never have a dem have a legitimate shot (moneywise) at holding the gov in wisconsin again

this directly affects me as a public employee in the union. luckily for me CA is pretty liberal and i dont see us getting teabagged.

recall this dude quick.