How to correctly raise a dog

Decyferon

Well Injury wanted me to make a thread for my dog anyway, and considering I have never had a dog before and I know 12oz is full of dog lovers I thought I would start this thread for advice on raising a dog.

167700_1457457691429_1682991115_857362_8198180_n.jpg

5428082353_6da4c3c61e_z.jpg

168080_1457463051563_1682991115_857372_4565136_n.jpg

so he is 7 weeks old now and getting used to living with us. He is real playful and likes to run around a lot.

Now when it comes to house training what is the best method? He has been running around and we have those training mats for him but he tends to go wherever, but am trying to get him to go on those. He spends a lot of time in the kitchen so is it best to leave him in there or let him roam around the house? I don't really wanna rub his nose in it when he does it but I want to teach him there is places he can go.

I also have a cat and a 6 year old son so I want to train him to not bite too much (the dog not my son) so is it best to just play with him an if he gets bitey to just stop playing an tell him off and put him in the kitchen to cool down, or should I just give a stern no and carry on?

My wife tends to read up loads on this sort of stuff, she did when she was pregnant too, but I have a more lets see what happens approach. But she keeps on reading conflicting info.

So basically any helpful hints and tips to raising a dog would be cool, Earl already dropped knowledge on me but anythign is helpful.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

positive reinforcement is so key.

when they piss outside, you gotta go crazy with praise (in a good way) and treats and such

of course you get angry when they go inside, but puppies don't have full bladder control so no need to make them anxiety-ridden.

crate training animals when they are young is good too, i think. that way they have a safe place to go as well. my dogs love their crates, though we rarely pull them out anymore since they are so well behaved.

just get him a little place to lay down and play and stuff. and never put him in the crate as punishment

i've heard that you have to react pretty sternly when they bite. my dog responded to that immediately, so if we are playing and she accidentally gets my hand, she instantly backs off, seeming to know that was wrong. so even though he's young, i'd tell him NO. but not too angrily. and then give him something to chew on, and say good boy. all about the positive reinforcement when they do something good.

• Like 1

oh yeah, caesar milan (sp?) has great advice.

i learned stuff from watching that show

but mainly that problem dogs have problem owners.. best not to coddle the thing like it's an infant

and walk it often, ensuring it knows you are leading and you are in charge.

yea I have heard it is all about the positive reinforcement, he isnt allowed out yet because he hasnt had his Jabs yet, think he has those next week because he has to have them at 8 weeks.

We have treats etc and have been praising him alot when he uses the training mats to pee on.

Can't wait til he has had his jabs and can take him out. What is the best thing when coming into contact with other dogs? Just see how he responds I suppose and take it from there?

1 tip is that when they learn to pee on training pads they will always pee there forever on. even after u take away the pad. This has happened to 2 of my dogs so far...not sure if it is for everyones dog but im talking about from my experience. the 2nd dog was put in a crate for his baby years and he loved it because he can have a place to go and felt safe there. puppies are exactly like babies lol

We dont have a crate so he stays in the Kitchen, should we leave him there overnight because he cries and whines or should we take him with us upstairs and let him sleep there and maybe take him to pee during the night?

Also should he stay in the kitchen the whole time, or should he roam around the house?

perfect choice of dog. (that is if it's a black lab). my black lab's currently 12 years old and he's never pee'd inside since like the first week i got him. great dog loads of fun, he will be "bitey" when he's a puppy and teething but he never bites he's well behaved. the breed is easy to teach tricks and just a great dog. treat him well

We house trained our dog. What we did was get an indoor pet fence.

IRIS-CI-604-WHT_Modular-Indoor-Outdoor-Pet-Fence-by-Iris_375.jpg

That isn't the one, but just a reference. Ours is just a black fence that is knee high and unfolds and folds up to different sizes. What we did was open it up to a pretty big size, line it with pee pads, and put her in there. Most pee pads have a scent put into them that triggers the dog's "I gotta pee" sensations. So if we saw her wandering around sniffing, we'd put her in the fenced in area and lock her in until she peed. Sometimes she wouldn't, but for the most part it worked. After a while, she started going to the fence and whining, so we'd put her in and she'd pee. Then we started to shrink the size of the pen, and she adjusted to it. Eventually it was about two feet square and easy to fit into the house and after about a year we took the fence away and she only does her business on that 2X2 area.

At one point in time, we switched to one of these:

PorchPottyimage.jpg

But it began to smell and was a bitch to keep clean. It might work well to train the pup to go outdoors though. If you have a lot of parks or just grass in general, you should start to train them to go outside. We tried with ours, and she would pee in one corner of the drive way, but no where else. We don't have grass around us, and the grass we do have is littered with all kinds of shit. From dog shit that looks like moose shit, to used condoms and wet clumps of paper and god knows what else. We also have a ton of dogs (mostly pits) in our area. I think she smells all of their piss and gets spooked or something. Whatever it is, she will NOT piss outside. The only time she does is when we go visit family upstate with lawns and quiet roads to walk on.

So I can't help you on how to train a dog to go outside, but I can tell you how to train them inside. You need to be diligent about cleaning that shit though, and it definitely is another expense.

I recommend these:

506632.jpg

Also get one of the pee pad trays. If you have hard wood floors, you don't want the dog piss staining it. We flush her poop as soon as she lets the shipment go. We change the pee pads once a day, depending on how bad they are. I've asked friends who visit if the house stinks, and they say they can tell a dog lives here but it isn't that shit/piss odor.

As for the biting thing? We're blessed with a small dog with small teeth. I play rough with her and she mouths my hands, but she never bites down hard enough to hurt. She's really good about that. When she does bite down a little harder, I usually pull my hand back, immediately hold her down by her throat and hind side, and say "NO BITING." Not yelling, but stern enough that she knows. When she calms down, I put my hand in front of her face and see what she does. She usually licks my hand a couple times, and then I start playing again. But if she goes to bite, I repeat the process. She's really good about the biting thing though. We've always been strict about that.

If your dog starts chewing on furniture or anything, get this stuff:

Bitter Apple Spray

grannicks_bitter_apple.jpg

Spray it on whatever you want saved, rub it in with a towel, and the dog should stop. It's a taste that they hate, so hopefully your dog isn't a weirdo. Thank Suki because she's the one who turned me on to this stuff.

The best thing to do for the teething, chewing, chomping factor is get plenty of toys.

Get yourself a Kong:

kong2.jpg

It might look like a butt plug, but it will be your best friend. You can put dog treats inside it and if you secure them well enough, it will distract your dog for a good amount of time. Our dog loves peanut butter and carrots. We'll put some PB in there and she'll just lay on the ground holding it with her paws just tonguing that thing for hours. We'll also shove a couple carrot sticks in there and they get wedged in pretty good. We do the same with hot dogs and chunks of cheese. Sometimes she'll spend an hour trying to get that shit out. Sometimes it's 10 minutes and that sucks. It's also a good thing to leave them with when you leave them home alone.

Bones are also good:

p_1274_11989D.jpg

I'm trying to stop using rawhide bones because dogs can't digest that shit, and our dog tends to eat pieces. If you buy these, ask the pet store person about bones that aren't made from rawhide, and have ingredients that a dog can digest.

Dogs love "Bullysticks"

wall-e+bully+stick

It's a stretched out cow penis and it smells like shit. I think you read my other post about this, but after you hold one, you smell like you jerked off a homeless dude. I'll let you be the judge on this one, but I don't like using them.

The main thing is that you give the dog a few different options. Now you said you have a cat? How are they getting along? My dog bullies my cat, and at first the cat hid from the dog the whole time. Now that cat seems to bait the dog into chasing her and even stands and swats at her from time to time. They aren't playing together like in all the motivational posters, but they are slowly but surely learning how to deal with each other in their own way. There are things you can do where you and your wife each hold a pet and let them smell each other. When they react in a positive way, you give them a treat. We've tried this, but weren't consistent enough.

One good thing to do with barking, is to have a sound you can only use to respond. We have a set of Russian dolls filled with loose change. When she starts in on a barking fit, we shake it at her and she stops. If she starts up again, we shake it again. We rarely use it anymore but if we go near it, she stops.

As for biting your kid? Your kid is 6 years old. Would you say he's reasonable for a 6 year old? Will he sit and listen to you explain how to play with a dog and what to watch out for? The dog is a puppy and might snap at him, but if he knows what to look out for he should be ok. Just explain to him that it's not the dog's fault and that he should hit back. Kids tend to have that hot headed reaction sometimes. I also don't have kids, so I'm not one to really tell you what to do, but I'd say the best bet is to play with the dog and your son together for a while and try to manipulate the interaction between the two of them. In turn training the dog to love your son. Also have your kid do the neck/hind thing.

I think I've given you enough to read. Hope it helps.

Oh, and on the crate training point. We have our dog's crate in the bedroom. We dressed it to look like a night stand, and she sleeps in it no problem every night. We started training her with it as soon as we brought her home. All we did was bring her to bed and lure her in there with treats. Eventually she would just go in and be fine with it. Now, when she falls asleep we bring her to the crate and she stumbles in and passes out like a drunk.

I highly recommend crate training because dogs take up space in the bed. Plus they end up loving it because it's all theirs, like a bedroom. My dog goes in there during the day and sleeps.

The other threads are picture threads, this is for advice, don't want to clog up the cute pictures with loads of text.

Some real good advice in here definitely gonna take it all on board and make sure the dog is happy and well raised.

asking on here is definitely better than most the dog websites I have read. Props issued once I'm not 24'd and will try and keep this thread going as it is good to have threads like these.