NEW CAR - Buy or Lease?

KILZ FILLZ

I have a 91 Honda that runs great but I'm a mechanic and that shit smells like work. I want to keep it as a commuter and get something new for the weekends/dates. it has low milage so trading it in isn't an option. I will keep it.

A coworker recommended leasing then opting to own once the lease expires. Since the car would be mostly for the weekends the milage wouldn't be problem. The payments for a lease would be less as well. When the lease expires and I opt to own, he says I would technically become the second owner and it would become a 'used car' (?) Lower payments/insurance (?). Not sure if this is fact.

I have a good job and getting a loan at a decent rate wouldnt be an issue. However, the smaller monthly payments that come with a lease are attractive.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah man all depends on how u treat the car cause whatever u fuck up ull pay for, like that questionable stain in the backseat or the ding on the side when u parked at the movies and someone door checked ur shit, shit happens so think about it. also aas a mechanic what kinda whip do you reccomend thats like mid 90s reliable and is withing a 4 g budget

lease with the option to own is the move providing you wont go over your allotted miles for the year. thats where they get you. as far as cars i will NOT drive another car out of the AUDI group (audi porsche, VW) ever again other then a Subaru. 4wheel drive cars with the 4wd absorbed into the price of the car cant be beat. just my quick opinion without pontificating on the subject...

I have a 91 Honda that runs great but I'm a mechanic and that shit smells like work. I want to keep it as a commuter and get something new for the weekends/dates. it has low milage so trading it in isn't an option. I will keep it.

A coworker recommended leasing then opting to own once the lease expires. Since the car would be mostly for the weekends the milage wouldn't be problem. The payments for a lease would be less as well. When the lease expires and I opt to own, he says I would technically become the second owner and it would become a 'used car' (?) Lower payments/insurance (?). Not sure if this is fact.

I have a good job and getting a loan at a decent rate wouldnt be an issue. However, the smaller monthly payments that come with a lease are attractive.

a new car becomes a used car as soon as you sign the paperwork and register it to the DMV.

Leasing a car is good for lower payments. you'll usually save about $100 - $250 compared to purchasing. also depends on what car and what lease deals are going on.

Lease to own: do a 4 year lease then at the end of the lease you find your own financing for the remainder of the cost of a car, usually it comes out to a 2 year loan. you can either have the dealership finance for you or you can find a bank yourself. if you do the lease to own, the mileage wont matter since you will be purchasing the car anyway.

insurance does not matter if you lease or purchase. insurance rates go by your driving record and type of car. i have never heard of an insurance company checking your credit score in order to price your rates.

and usually for leasing, dealerships look for a near perfect credit score to qualify for the $0 down due at lease signing

YOUVE NEVER HEARD OF AN INSURANCE COMPANY USING A CREDIT SCORE?

:lol::lol:

SOUND LIKE YOURE A FACT CHECKER FOR FOX NEWS.

THIS AINT LIABILITY INSURANCE.

i work for a volkswagen dealership. i do sales, and work in the shop.

and not once to insure any of my cars has the insurance agent asked me for my social security number in order to check my credit.

if insurance companies check credit scores then that means that illegals here in CA wouldnt be able to get their cars insured cuz they have no social. no social means no credit. no credit means no insurance? Liability OR full coverage, it dont matter. i got friends with no social and yet they have full coverage insurance.

Insurance rates definitely use credit, among a slew of other shit. Or at least any medium to big name company does. I don't know what sort of insurance companies you're all fucking with.

i've had Geico, State farm and AAA. they were all expensive but i liked their full coverage they offered. they never asked me for any social.

right now im with Titan insurance (used to be eastwood ins.) they're a small company but only charge me $60/month for liablity, based on my driving record. they're cheaper than the big 3 i used to have, and its the minimum by law i need to have my car registered in the state of CA. even these guys never asked me for a social, and checked my credit.

because you will eventually own it without taking the depreciation that you would if you bought it outright.

this thread is definitely showin how the credit industry got over so bad on some of yall.

you dont realize even some jobs youre applying at look at your credit homeboy?

:lol:

some jobs been checkin credit for years now, they'll let you know on your application. even government jobs check that shit. this one chick's security guard husband tried to apply for a police officer job and got denied cuz of his credit.

heres how it breaks down, kinda long. but if its a descion you have to make without expierience a good read. goes full circle n the topic first hand.

so anyways back when i was like 24 in like '04 i financed a 2002 lincoln ls. think it had like 30,000km onnit. whatever and whatever that equals to in miles. i like i threw down like 5g's and my payments were around $500.

during the two years i had it, i also had rental cars 365 and rarely drove it. just cause rentals are pimpin, let alone big pimpin cityonsmash style rocken em 365 year round x like 4 or 5. point is, the thing was mint. i bought it black on black kept it flossy and vacumed/washed at all times etc etc etc.

in 2006 ,a year after ford dropped the new body style f150 i had to have one so i went to trade in the ls even though i loved that bitch heavy too. but there was talk that fortd/lincoln wasnt gonna continue making the ls and literally a week after my warrenty ran out i had to drop like a gnote into some kind front suspension yadda yaddaa yaddaaa.

now, everybody knows the depreciation of ye old americano motor cars but until you get the blindsided scissor kick to the nuts but the trade in company/dealership you really dont realize how dramatic it is.

after taxes not including the in house financing levys the ls hadda sticker price of like 35 when i grabbed it two years before. im going to guestimate i put in and around as little as 15,000km during that two years due to the rentals.

tradein value:like 12gerb:what:

i was fucking disturbed, not only had the fucking thing dropped so crazily but now had to actually PAY MORE MONEY to level out the trade in value to the down payment and monthly finaced payments i had already been making for two years.

i said fuck that, never ever evr evr again will i allow that to happen.

so i leased the truck and it was the right thing to do, at that stage of my life. sticker price after taxes on the pickup was around $65,000 i think i dropped first and last months lease payments and kicked in like 3gees i think which put my payments at a whopping but for me "affordable" 1100 a month for 3 years.

before all the lease haters get there panties inna knot casting the "oh you dont own it" "your just wasting your money" aswell as the absolute bullshit preconceived notion that lease payments are pennies a glass.

gimmie a fuckin break, im chaulkin up 11hundo a month before my 500 a month insurance aswell as who fucking knows how much in gas. shut the fuck up with that nonsense cause im shellin out more to drive in 4 weeks than you are in 4 months so right then and there anyone who ignorantly thinks that shit give yer head a check cause 9 outta 10 people buying $30,000+ plus vehicles have financing in one way or another aswell as having on an average of the majority of peoples the longest ammount of time to pay it possible thus LOWERING your payments but sprawling them out over 5/6years like a fuckin cancer that wont go away all just to depreciate as i just not only witnessed but chinged out on the fucking obscene ammount of vehicle dapreciation.

that stage of my life i was very successful and it went on for a very long time until i chose to switch gears. coincidentally around that time and luckily for me in the sense of budgeting and sensibility my lease term was up. did what any syrop blooded canuck would do, called up the homie to call his homie and roll on by to roll back the milage so i didnt have to pay any fees. dropped the keys off with the option to refiance it at a far lesser monthly payment, grab a new vehicle of equal or lesser value for equal or lesser payments or simply walk away.

i walked away.

now, would i lease now, into my 30's without feeling the want or "need" to always be rockin somethin new a flossy. not inna million years. but if your in a life situation where its in your best intrest to have options, maneuverability and outs or just wanna always be rockin the fly shit. lease that shit, and wave yer monthly receipt to any retard that tries saying leasing is for people pretending to be something or someone there not, cause 9 times outta 10 yer gonna droppin double the cake as the next guy so "proud" and happy with his truck hes dropped a couple hun on for the next half decade just so he can have a rust bucket worth next to nothing without warranty with an out of date body style 5 years down the road without even the option of trading it in cause his pride has been built up so high for so long all these years paying off "his" truck that the offer any dealership is gonna give him will make homeboy go osama bin ladden on detroit.

OR.

an option would be to buy someone's lease out before they return it. This normally means you are buying a low km (or mile) car that the stealer ship would mark up immediately once returned to them. These deals are all over craigslist, lease buy-outs and such. Have a look.

DO NOT BUY NEW.

If you have to have a new car all of a sudden then you should take 5-10 g's and light it on fire, there is no sense in buying brand new.

LEASE.

Is great for businesses, or people keeping up appearances. It is not cheap and you pay for mileage overages. You save some, but in the end they get you, there is such a thing called interest, depreciation, wear and tear..blah blah blah. Shit's for the birds unless you are considering it for a write off.

Vehicles are straight liability, it's a constant drain on funds you could be stacking. IMO if you are driving a 1991 Civic, you should go buy a civic made in the year 2001, you will be so happy with all the upgrades they have made and you could get one for fucking peanuts.

Keep your old civic as a get a way car for driving drunk/high/missions.

ps. After a couple dates only whores will really give a shit what you are driving. (which in some cases aint a bad thing at all).

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

in my experience, and the observation of others, leasing a car is a mistake

i see it sort of like renting an apartment when the housing market is good

while it may seem like less responsibility and hassle, you pay for it in other ways, such as by not having an investment, being told what to do with your car and how often you can drive it, and having to pay full coverage on insurance.

i love the idea of buying a certified used car, or a used car from carmax.

• Like 1

Before I even say anything, you should know I'm the type of person who doesn't have a credit card, and is currently having a hard time buying a house because I'm needing my knuckle dragger brother to handle the financing end, since I wouldn't be able to get a loan.

But with that said, I just couldn't see myself ever leasing a car. I mean, I've known plenty of people who have, and it's cool to have a new(er) car which you can switch out every couple of years, but at the end of the day you're just basically renting it. Just take some cash and go buy a nice used car, you'll be happier with it in the long run