Graffuturism.......................

Poesia [ ] T

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I really do like it when people push the boundaries and take things a step further than where people are comfortable.

Even if you look back through the timeline of popular graffiti you catch glimpses of someone pushing the limits of what

letters can be, and then there becomes a paradigm shift. I give props to a lot of the writers in this thread for doing shit

that I'm sure everyone around them thought was weird at first and their crews were probably like, "Come on dog, you're

falling off, shit is wack.." But they kept at it and created major innovation.

However, some of these people think they are being MUCH more creative and innovative than they are. Guys, go take

one look at cubism, then Mondrian, then early ab-ex painting, and then tell me this shit is new and creative? I echo the

calls that too many writers lost the vocabulary of letterforms, because really what makes the innovators innovative is operating

inside of the structures of letters. It's easy to just paint lines and colors and make it look intriguing and interesting, but

it is NOT fresh, exciting or new. What makes it exciting is to blend the forms of graffiti with abstraction, or as it's been

labeled "futurism" (thanks Futura!).

Too many of the writers in this thread are just using corny overused graphic design cliches and translating them into

spray-paint. Too many people are doing poorly contemplated geometric abstractions in CMYK and think they are taking shit

"to the next level." Yeah, we all know CMYK looks good, cool, very flat basic colors, very aesthetically pleasing, your making

my rods and cones vibrate... But it isn't innovative.

I applaud everyone who takes more than three seconds to come up with new and astounding color combinations, those that

continue to bend the forms of letters into something amazing but yet grounded in the culture that we all are so invested in.

Anyway, here's my little dissertation. Hope you like it. Haha.

I really do like it when people push the boundaries and take things a step further than where people are comfortable.

Even if you look back through the timeline of popular graffiti you catch glimpses of someone pushing the limits of what

letters can be, and then there becomes a paradigm shift. I give props to a lot of the writers in this thread for doing shit

that I'm sure everyone around them thought was weird at first and their crews were probably like, "Come on dog, you're

falling off, shit is wack.." But they kept at it and created major innovation.

However, some of these people think they are being MUCH more creative and innovative than they are. Guys, go take

one look at cubism, then Mondrian, then early ab-ex painting, and then tell me this shit is new and creative? I echo the

calls that too many writers lost the vocabulary of letterforms, because really what makes the innovators innovative is operating

inside of the structures of letters. It's easy to just paint lines and colors and make it look intriguing and interesting, but

it is NOT fresh, exciting or new. What makes it exciting is to blend the forms of graffiti with abstraction, or as it's been

labeled "futurism" (thanks Futura!).

Too many of the writers in this thread are just using corny overused graphic design cliches and translating them into

spray-paint. Too many people are doing poorly contemplated geometric abstractions in CMYK and think they are taking shit

"to the next level." Yeah, we all know CMYK looks good, cool, very flat basic colors, very aesthetically pleasing, your making

my rods and cones vibrate... But it isn't innovative.

I applaud everyone who takes more than three seconds to come up with new and astounding color combinations, those that

continue to bend the forms of letters into something amazing but yet grounded in the culture that we all are so invested in.

Anyway, here's my little dissertation. Hope you like it. Haha.

4602277469_c287dbfd69_b.jpg

" For many of us return the streets after having a formal education is of utmost importance, since there are more elements of where take advantage. We have painted and acted in the city states to understand, now we can expand the code of communication, now it is time to improve our work with the sole intention to enrich this great mole, our city, our neighborhood, our streets In the case staff, it seems to me that my work has evolved tremendously, my main platform has been the architecture, the city, town planning and the landscape. My issues no longer have to do with the font, my intentions because we are communicating with another person who only “the” understands what i do or includes the same passion, my work is marked by new materials, new applications, new roads in other areas of the design or construction. As in many processes, hardly begins, the road is long and we pleased to keep walking."

http://graffuturism.com/2011/04/29/evolutionofgraffitipart2/

graphicsurgery3.jpg

"We already come from a different direction. As Graphic Surgery we never were typical graffiti writers. We are simply abstract painters. It seems more like many (post) graffiti writers move closer towards an abstract way of working. Probably as i said before, a logical step, cause things evolve. Though who knows, even they will eventually even drop the idea of holding on to type or letters?"

http://graffuturism.com/2011/02/01/graffitievolutionandprogression2011/

"We already come from a different direction. As Graphic Surgery we never were typical graffiti writers.

We are simply abstract painters. It seems more like many (post) graffiti writers move closer towards

an abstract way of working. Probably as i said before, a logical step, cause things evolve. Though who

knows, even they will eventually even drop the idea of holding on to type or letters?"

I have no problem with this, but isn't this essentially the difference between "Graffiti" in the NY-Bronx,

"Hip-Hop" sense of the word, and street art? what differentiates this as "Graffiti-futurism" vs. "Street-art"

or "Muralism?" Is the medium of spray-paint enough to make the distinction?

Just some thoughts.

That is just one of the artists read the part where haze and Mare 139 explain it. There is no one answer or correct way to say it but I think we all have our ideas about what graffiti is. The idea that graffiti has to stay letter based is just a box that you can remain in it or step outside. There are tremendous artists like spone who is in the first feature is one of the illest traditional based graff writers but his paintings are very different. He likes to keep them separated in ways, some artists prefer to blur the line more. There is no one answer. Graphic surgery are taking urban development of the streets and painting pieces with those references. Its even closer to the streets than any letter or type could be, yet it has that graffiti feel. Its new ideas, and not being hindered by rules or taboos. Its not the next graffiti its just a another direction graffiti can go. Also all of it is not good there is always going to be some trend jumpers. To me its graffiti growing up a little and growing in general. Read those articles it will give you a bit more perspective.

To me you can tell right away these arent street artists they paint with graffiti writers use there language even if its not at first recognizable. Street artists have a whole another reason to paint and aesthetic in my eyes. Not that some can be both, but it is only more due to a street art blog trying to label them or claim it as street art.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...