Canada bandwidth cap starting March 1st?

geezpot

Sign the petition...

stopthemeter.ca

Canadian telecom regulator the CRTC finalized their ruling on usage-based billing, making some fairly minor concessions at the behest of independent ISPs, such as capping wholesale UBB rates at 85% of retail UBB rates. By and large however this was a largely empty gesture, and the CRTC remains a breathing example of regulatory capture and government dysfunction. By every measure, this was a coordinated move by incumbent ISPs to overcharge consumers for Internet video and crush independent competition using the bogus threat of the Exaflood.

Canadian consumers tend to be fairly-well keyed into the broader anti-competitive and innovation-stifling ramifications of the move, if this Vancouver Sun article on the growing consumer backlash is any indication. Our various Canadian broadband forums have exploded with consumer complaints in recent months, and independent ISPs are also voicing their concerns. Rocky Gaudrault, CEO of independent ISP TekSavvy, shares his thoughts on the CRTC ruling:

For those that don't know, for all Bell and Bell reseller providers, starting March 2011:

- Bandwith cap will be 25GB(confirmed by Teksavvy CEO). That's upload and download, together.

- $1 per GB you go over, up to $22.50. $0.75 per GB after that.

- ALL DSL RESELLER PRICES WILL GO UP TO MATCH BELL PLAN PRICES, AND RISE WHEN BELL PLAN PRICES RISE.

For those on Rogers, or Rogers reseller providers:

- Same deal, coming down the pipe a few months later (early summer).

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...Billing-112406

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...37?nocomment=1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
The problem is that this is not just in Canada, they want stuff like this to happen everywhere. this is just the start.

Exactly.

If this gets passed then the rest of the world will be fucked too.

Canada already has the worst internet service providers and now they want to pull this bullshit.This is just a corporate cash pot, there is no need to meter internet usage.

I understand that eventually cell phones will be run on an internet data plan and not a phone plan so this is just the start to restricting usage so that cell phone providers can still make shitloads of money.

get fucking livid, jesus, get angry and start a revolution if you have to.

sitting and debating (irony ftw) idly wont really do anything. i wish people would realize that that's how things got changed in the past...people went out into the streets and said something, now someone can post some passive aggressive bullshit on the internet and feel content

very much so like this post i've made.

Ive contacted/threatened the provider, and contacted a tv station.

Oh and btw its just for cell phone calls . I upgraded my minutes a couple of months ago and they took away my free incoming. AAANNNNNDDDD the rape began.

/should have looked at my bill oner, but was on vacation guy.

Our service providers in this counrty are fucking monopolies, it is horse shit that my cell bill cannot in any way stay under $100.00 no matter how hard I try.

I am on hold right now with these cunts. (Ive spent hours on hold with these fuckers)

If any of you br0's work for Telus, PM me and I will by much liquors for any help I can get.

My internet provider's page doesn't show me my bandwidth usage.

However, my torrent thingie says I've transferred 2.21TB of non-copyrighted data in the last 31 days.

I just signed up with a new provider today, they told me max download capacity per month is 100gb.

what the fuck is that? better re-think the whole prons downloadering shit right fast. Or else do the bulk of my downloadering at the office.

Net Caps SUCK ASS, Australia has it. They claim it's to crack down on piracy-BULLSHIT. It's cause fukn Telstra has a monopoly on the networks and wants to keep doing what they fuck they want. It's ridiculous. I been in fuck ass dirt road, no traffic lights, power blackouts twice a week at least pueblos in fukn nicaragua and they still have unmetered net. One of the disadvantages of living on this island.