The Flower

nsmbfan

wish i could just embed it, but this aint VIP - although i dont think we'd abuse that in crossfire, we're good folk.

The Flower

The Flower contrasts a utopian society that freely farms and consumes a pleasure giving flower with a society where the same flower is illegal and its consumption is prohibited. The animation is a meditation on the social and economic costs of marijuana prohibition. Animation by Haik Hoisington

i think this movie is spot on.

discuss

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Wow. I loved that vid.

It's funny, marijuana prohibition. Watching that video, I thought how marijuana could become a commodity, like precious ores or stones. This could be a good thing, but idk if our world should be responsible for introducing another commodity into the market.

Take gold, diamonds, and milk. These commodities are in abundance. In a completely free market, the prices on these items would be exactly what the middle class says they should be (which could possibly decrease a producer's marginal gain over time, maybe driving unfair trade for labor v wages. Duh. Which is unfortunate, but not for the consumer, directly)

However, this is not the case. While for many commodities, consumers have the ability to drive prices in a lesser direction, some are very regulated (which often protects consumers in many cases :)).

But here is an uglier side. We've all heard of farmers legit destroying crops, given stipends from the state afterwards, right? I forget the name of the type of stipend. It has the same effect that the largest diamond-traders, De Beers, creates when they bottle-neck supply. Less supply means higher prices. If the price of milk starts to drop too low, suddenly there will be less milk than there was before. Common knowledge.

But the above is almost irrelevant because, if marijuana was legalized, it would without a doubt be public, heavily regulated by the state. This would not be a problem if weed was not the panacea that is it perceived to be. Those dependent on it for medical purposes or otherwise would loyally seek it like a diabetic seeks insulin. No matter the price of insulin, it has to be bought. But marijuana is not essential to life as insulin is. It is just mentally addictive and very nice to have around. For that reason, its consumers can be easily abused without the nasty guilt that comes with dead diabetics.

I'm not trying to say that consumer abuse is inevitable with the legalization of marijuana. I just (needless to say) i have little faith in human empathy and compassion towards others.

Pleasant as it seems that piece is idelistic at best. First off, any government mandated marijuana will eventualy be chemicialy enhanced for addictive purposes with moderate THC properties and any tax revinue will be abused, funneled and pocketed by the scum ridden politicians that will pass such a law.

You don't realy think their just going to let it be some free enterprise in this political/buisness age?........especially in the medical field.

I mean how long before the government sees the dollar signs, runs over all independent growers and starts running tv/billboard ads? Also the Doctor writing everyone and their moms a herb script for the kickback.

Though all the above seems much better than the alterntive........jail time for a 100% natural flower. I'm just sayin.

I found it funny how the piece visually describes a person being high with all these wonderful colors and expressions, which clearly represent the way one feels inside while high, while at the same time avoiding the unpleasant outward appearance that a stoned person sometimes has.

But when it comes to someone being drunk, it only shows the person's unpleasant outward appearance, and none of the internal feeling.

• 2 weeks later...
Pleasant as it seems that piece is idelistic at best. First off, any government mandated marijuana will eventualy be chemicialy enhanced for addictive purposes with moderate THC properties and any tax revinue will be abused, funneled and pocketed by the scum ridden politicians that will pass such a law.

If it was legal, it would be legal for home cultivation as well. Thereby eliminating any adulteration by "corporate government scum".

I'm sure "sketchy government cannabis cigarettes" might appear on the market, as compared to what they did with tobacco cigarettes. This wouldn't change shit but the weather for most the people I know... they'd still be smoking the OG KUSH from back when it was illegal :lol: and not this 2nd rate gubment poison weed they'd try n push on us.

:eek:

You know, you don't have to buy beer at the store - you can home brew it. You knew that right? Same thing applies to pot. Grow your own.

You can't grow tobacco plants to make your own ciggarettes. The government owns all the tobacco seeds, and makes it illegal for an average joe to farm tobacco. But this couldn't concievably happen with pot seeds. Even if they tried, it would fail miserably in todays age of instant information and overnight delivery.

Yes, I want nothing more than marijuauna to be legal, but we are talkin about decriminalization not completely legalization. They want some kind of control and if history tells us anything, that the control will only become more restrictive, not disintegated.

On top of that It's being push the medical route, so if that happens the FDA gets involed, demands must be met and if not they pull your licence. Then comes the buying up the seed pattend for you favorite strands, after that the late night pharmy commercials about how you should see you doctor for OG KUSH.

This is the US government and their greed knows no limit and they can never leave well enough alone.

Sure you can legaly brew up a dozen or so cases of beer but lets see you legaly ferment or distill 1 gallon of of 120-180proof spirits. There is still that level of control, it's not so cut and dry. One thing for sure, this is all hypothetical.

The Washington Legislature should legalize marijuana

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorials/2014270472_edit20legal.html?prmid=op_ed

MARIJUANA should be legalized, regulated and taxed. The push to repeal federal prohibition should come from the states, and it should begin with the state of Washington.

In 1998, Washington was one of the earliest to vote for medical marijuana. It was a leap of faith, and the right decision. In 2003, Seattle was one of the first places in America to vote to make simple marijuana possession the lowest police priority. That, too, was a leap of faith, and the right decision. A year ago, City Attorney Pete Holmes stopped all prosecutions for simple possession: the right decision.

It is time for the next step. It is a leap, yes — but not such a big one, now.

Still, it is not an easy decision. We have known children who changed from brilliant students to slackers by smoking marijuana at a young age. We have also known of many users who have gone on to have responsible and successful lives. One of them is president of the United States.

Like alcohol, most people can handle marijuana. Some can't.

There is a deep urge among parents to say: "No. Don't allow it. We don't want it." We understand the feeling. We have felt it ourselves. Certainly the life of a parent would be easier if everyone had no choice but to be straight and sober all the time. But an intoxicant-free world is not the one we have, nor is it the one most adults want.

Also, there are already effective taxation models on marijuana in CA. Municipalities like Alameda County, etc do just fine in letting local governments manage those processes. However, since most things are done by ballot referendum over there, it's occasionally easier to get certain mandates through that would normally have political blockage elsewhere.

I don't think this sort of propaganda is even necessary at this point to make an effective political and social argument for the decriminalization and eventual legalization and public commodification marijuana. It makes too much monetary since for state governments who have the constituency to vote for it and the budget gaps to necessitate it.

meh. i'm high.