Save Kool Herc

gramatikalerror

Creator of the break beat. Most people owe him thier life.

http://www.allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2011/01/30/22571305.aspx

For all donations to Kool Herc, send to: Kool Herc Productions PO Box 20472 Huntington Station, NY 11746

(AllHipHop News) Hip-Hop pioneer DJ Kool Herc has been released from a medical facility, but remains in need of financial aid to help with an unknown health condition.

"I just spoke to Kool Herc.he’s ok and in good spirits..but needs surgery..THIS TUESDAY at SUTRA..we’re gonna do a collection for him," DJ Tony Touch tweeted earlier today.

According to Gangstarr's DJ Premier, Kool Herc's health is deteriorating and he is in need of monetary assistance, because he doesn't have health insurance.

"Kool Herc is very sick," DJ Premier revealed on his XM Satellite radio show Live From Headqcourterz. "For those that know about Hip-Hop, who we call the father of Hip-Hop, Kool Herc, is not doing well. It's funny how we have a father of a culture that still lives, where as in some cultures they are dead and gone even though they may still be worshiped or reflected on in some kind of way."

According to DJ Premier, he spoke to Herc, who revealed that he was in need of financial assistance because he didn't have medical coverage.

Kool Herc, 55, is recognized by music historians as the Founding Father of Hip-Hop for his style of "Break" DJ'ing, which isolates the rhythm of a particular portion of a record.

He is credited for laying the foundation for the most popular genre of music in the world, after a party he hosted at 1520 Sedgwick Avenue, in the South Bronx.

DJ Kool Herc is also a community activist who led a multi-year effort to prevent the sale of 1520 Sedgwick to greedy real estate speculators.

In September of 2010, the building received a $5.6 million dollar federal loan that halted the sale of the building, allowing hundreds of tenants to keep their homes.

Additionally, the building has officially been recognized as the place Hip-Hop music during the party, which took place on August 11th, 1973.

"Being as though he is the man that set this whole culture off, y'all [the fans] should be willing any type of way you can."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i know it is all good asking the fans, how about all the rich as fuck rappers who have made a living from what he began, fuck asking us for help when they are millionaires n shit that can just pay for his treatment.

Not that Herc doesnt deserve it but more famous people should be putting the $$$ forward

Good point, Decy. I'll gladly give what I can to help out a dude who has indirectly contributed to my life in a pretty major way, but you kind of have to wonder why Kanye or someone else who has literally become a multi-millionaire (many times over) by building on the foundation Herc created step forward and just pay for the operation?

i know it is all good asking the fans, how about all the rich as fuck rappers who have made a living from what he began, fuck asking us for help when they are millionaires n shit that can just pay for his treatment.

Not that Herc doesnt deserve it but more famous people should be putting the $$$ forward

this.

and props given.

A common procedure in Hospitals in the South is to tattoo an ice cream cone onto a patient that has just had their tonsils removed.

Refrigeration of ice cream in vast quantities is costly for the hospitals. So, the ice cream tattoo has a Placebo effect on the newly tonsil free patient.

AAAAAALLL THE ICECREAM YOU CAN EAT

smart enough to spark an entire culture, dumb enough to have no health care.

im canadian tho so it should be mandatory i stay out of such topics.

jumping_man_excited332122530_std.jpg

canadaflag.jpg

infromersinger-tmz101110-1.jpg

Not to mention he has no real albums or recording deals.

Dude is a party DJ and community activist.

His income is probably middle class level.

I honestly doubt he's even at the middle class level. Sad state of affairs because he was one of the forefathers of the movement, but the earlier hip hop artists did not get paid well, its a fact. Man have those cats you were bumping in the 80's and 90's are broke as shit now a day if they haven't diversified. Came out with some classic shit as well.