Climber falls 1,000 feet - Found standing up, reading a map.

MayorMeanBeans

Climber found reading map after 1,000ft fall

A climber who fell 1,000ft (305m) down a mountain and survived was found by his rescuers standing up reading a map.

The 35-year-old lost his footing at the summit of Sgurr Choinnich Mor near Ben Nevis in the Highlands and plummeted down the near-vertical eastern slope.

Lt Tim Barker, from the helicopter rescue crew, said: "It seemed impossible... he must have literally glanced off the outcrops as he fell."

He added that the climber was shaking from "extreme emotional shock".

Lt Barker, the Royal Navy's Sea King helicopter crew's observer, said: "We began to hover-taxi down the slope and spotted a man at the bottom, standing up.

"We honestly thought it couldn't have been him, as he was on his feet, reading a map. Above him was a series of three high craggy outcrops.

"It seemed impossible. So we retraced our path back up the mountain and, sure enough, there were bits of his kit in a vertical line all the way up where he had obviously lost them during the fall.

'Almost flying'

"It was quite incredible. He must have literally glanced off the outcrops as he fell, almost flying."

The helicopter, from HMS Gannet in Prestwick, Ayrshire, was already airborne on a training exercise when it was scrambled to the scene just after 1430 GMT.

A paramedic was winched down to check the climber over. He appeared unscathed aside from some superficial cuts and bruises and a minor chest injury.

Lt Barker added: "He is lucky to be alive. It's hard to believe that someone could have fallen that distance on that terrain and been able to stand up at the end of it, let alone chat to us in the helicopter on the way to the hospital.

"Really an amazing result - I have to say, when we got the call and realised the details of where he'd fallen, we did expect to arrive on scene to find the worst-case scenario."

The climber, from Glasgow, was one of a group of 24 who had reached the summit when the accident happened.

He is being treated at Southern General Hospital in the city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12317356?print=true

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

if this cunt was from anywhere else than Glasgow he would've died...

people from glasgow are at least 50% rubber. that includes brain matter.

it's the fuckin' murder capitol o' western europe... i remeber hearing some statistic saying it's got more gangs per square metre than LA.

i've never been to LA but i could believe that... any other big city in the world if someone wanted to kill you then they'd just shoot you or whatever...

from everything i've ever heard aboot glasgow, people just want to pull kinves oot and play with you, see how many fingers they can cut off before you pass oot and throw up all before going into a coma. while they just leave you in the gutter and walk away.

i seen the boy on the news earlier... his fuckin' coupon looked like someone threw a glass o' red wine over a cheese grater...

i could go on but it's gettin' late...