High tech stuff

Guest imported_b0b

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Did anyone notice that the article was written in 96. Also if you go to the Lab site they haven't talked about it since 96. At that time it was entirely prototype and cost $200,000. I doubt its coming anytime soon. On a more recent front.

SCRATCHITI MEETS ITS MATCH IN SHANE HONG'S INVENTION

http://www.seas.columbia.edu/columbia/alumni/engnews_s01/Hong.jpg'> Shane Hong adjusts the gas jets to melt away

Graffiti has long irked New York City subway riders but recent advancements in treating the surfaces of subway cars have lessened the problem significantly. To compensate for the loss of surfaces to paint, vandals moved their defacing skills to subway car windows, creating deep scratchings in the glass, called scratchiti, which first began to appear in the mid-1990's.

In 1997, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority replaced 62,000 pieces of damaged glass at a total cost of $2.6 million. Estimates for replacing all scratchiti-defaced windows reach as high as $70 million annually. So far, there has been no cost-effective method to remove the scratches. Some processes have been tried-repairing the glass by polishing it or patching it with optical grade epoxy-but the results were unsatisfactory, since the quality of the repair was unacceptable and the cost prohibitive.

Coming to the rescue is Prof. Shane Hong, professor of mechanical engineering, who has created a "scratchiti buster," a device that applies a flame to the window's surface, melting the glass to erase scratches and repolish the surface. Prof. Hong has created a prototype that includes a small propane torch to be controlled by a mechanized arm that would attach to a subway car window. The operator could then re-locate the arm from one window to another.

Dr. Hong's scratchiti-buster directs intensive heat near the scratch marks, melting a thin layer into liquid, which changes the glass's viscosity. As the glass cools down, the surface tension evens out the indentations made by the scratchings. Once cooled, the glass is as smooth and even as it was originally, without grinding or polishing. His work is being supported by a research grant from the National Research Council and a grant from the National Science Foundation and is being developed in his Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing Laboratory for Industrial Quality and Productivity. Dr. Hong's other areas of research specialties include economical cryogenic machining and micro-robot development for dental root canal treatment.

...um i dont know if its a sign of an oncoming apocalyptic new world order, but it is interesting...funny cause i actually saw this video yesterday via kazaa although at the time i didnt know it wasfrom 96(?)..i put graf in for a search and this video popped up...it almost didnt look real, but unfortunately it is, i mean the shit really does jsut evaporate....however i think the advantage still lies with the writer who can do a hundred taga and throws in the amount of time it takes to take it off...what really surprised me was the whole chicago and phoenix ban...i was unaware of that along with the cali leglislation...i can see revok right now hanging from an underpass with a 200 ft extension cord...hahaha....i dont think the hardcore kids will be fazed or even really stop...ill take removal equipment upgrade over surveillance upgrade any day of the week...plus dont forget about the high cost and its slow introduction could take as many as 4 years...interesting but overall i dont feel afraid for the culture...r

Archived