Egypt

Citizen X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so confident about that. Suleiman has bought time with the MB with 'discussions on formulating a road map on how to move forward....' etc. That will take fucking ages and be drawn out. Any more protests called down the line will not have the intensity of the previous week due to fatigue and the need to earn a living.

I'm not fully aware of where April 6 and Kifaya stand on this. But it could be that Suleiman has successfully split the opposition forces and created a useful delaying and diffusion tactic.

• Like 1

Hate to be the pessimist but I cannot see Hosni going. That's just a personal gut feeling not really based on any particular insight

Highlighted my fav below.

EGYPT: Protesters' sarcasm reflected in anti-Mubarak signs

February 8, 2011 | 1:18 pm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2011/02/egypt-protesters-sarcasm-reflected-in-anti-mubarak-signs.html

For years, millions of Egyptians have relied on their sense of humor and self-mockery as a way of surviving tough living conditions. Such sarcasm can be seen at its best in Tahrir Square, where tens of thousands are calling for the ousting of President Hosni Mubarak and his ruling regime.

A rumor that has spread through Egyptian state television is that protesters in Tahrir are being paid by a "foreign element" to camp in the square and cause unrest. Others found a funny side to Mubarak's persistence in holding on to power: A protester with big afro held a sign saying, "Mubarak, leave so I can go home and cut my hair."

The word "leave" was the most common in the signs raised in the square. Some activists wrote it in three languages. One protester wrote in the hieroglyphics of ancient Egypt to express his frustration: "Since you [Mubarak] are a Pharaoh, we're writing you in the hieroglyphic language you might understand."

Another protester wrote a sign asking Mubarak to "understand our message and leave. Or maybe just leave then understand as you want."

A protester, for whom there probably is no love lost with his wife's family, had a sign saying "Down with Mubarak, down with my mother-in-law."

"I have a beard, and I'm not a Muslim Brotherhood member," read another sign carried by a demonstrator, who was referring to state TV's claims that the "banned" Muslim Brotherhood group has taken over the square and is trying to influence young people there to join its ranks.

Thousands of those camping in Tahrir sleep in homemade tents. Despite the humble conditions, many find pride in their shelters. "Victory palace" read one sign on the top of one small tent.

One protester had a sign saying, "I'm sleeping and dreaming inside my tent, please wake me up when he [Mubarak] leaves, so that my dream will be fulfilled."

^you have a source? just wondering, my boss is on the edge of her pyramid.

she'd love for him and suleiman to do a thelma & louise style departure :haha:

what wonderful news that would be...

i also love that the personalities and vibe of the people of egypt is really coming through here..

internet organization, revolution without a leader or major violence, a sense of humor throughout it all.

i :heartbeat: that place.

CIA chief says looks like Mubarak about to quit

(AP) – 27 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. intelligence indicates "a strong likelihood" that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is on his way out and may step down as early as Thursday night, CIA Director Leon Panetta told Congress.

Panetta said he didn't know specifics, but said it seemed likely that Mubarak would turn over powers to his vice president, Omar Suleiman. Panetta made the comments in testimony before the House Intelligence Committee as Egyptian state TV said the embattled president would speak to the nation Thursday night from his palace in Cairo.

Committee Chairman Mike Rogers of Michigan asked Panetta about news reports that Mubarak was poised to relinquish power.

"I got the same information you did, that there is a strong likelihood that Mubarak will step down this evening, which will be significant in terms of where the hopefully orderly transition in Egypt will take place," the CIA director said. Panetta did not say how the CIA reached that conclusion.

State TV said Mubarak will speak to the nation Thursday night from his palace in Cairo.

Egypt's military announced on national television that it had stepped in to "safeguard the country" and assured protesters that Mubarak will meet their demands. That was the strongest indication yet that the longtime leader had lost power.

Panetta said the CIA was following the developments "very closely."

He said if there is an orderly transition in Egypt that leads to free and fair elections, and includes elements of the opposition, "it could have a positive effect with regards to that area."

On the other hand, he said, it would not be good news "if this turns in another direction."

Earlier, Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg told another congressional panel that the one constant amid the turmoil in the region was the United States' unwavering support for Israel.

In testimony to the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Steinberg also sought to quell talk of divisions within the administration over Egypt. He said that the U.S. has said publicly and privately that a peaceful and orderly transition to democracy must begin without delay.

President Barack Obama was monitoring developments aboard Air Force One en route to an event in Michigan. His spokesman, Robert Gibbs, told reporters traveling with the president, "I am watching much of what you're watching. We're watching, I think, a very fluid situation. What we're looking for and what the president spoke about many days ago remains our priority: an orderly transition to a free and fair election."

Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

oh mang they are backin off that shit now.

EGYPT: CIA's Leon Panetta says Hosni Mubarak exit not confirmed

February 10, 2011 | 10:27 am

Leon Panetta, head of the Central Intelligence Agency, says the U.S. has not been able to confirm that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is about to step down.

“We haven’t been able to confirm in fact that he is going to do that, so we are monitoring the situation,” CIA Director Leon Panetta told a Bloomberg reporter in Washington, following a House committee hearing on security threats.

Panetta, who said during the hearing that he was aware of reports of an impending Mubarak resignation, said the public should not take those remarks as “insight that this in fact going to happen.”

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2011/02/egypt-cia-director-says-mubarak-exit-not-confirmed.html

"I can not and will not accept to be dictated orders from outside, no matter what the source is," Mubarak said.

So, are you guys still believing that there is no western influence here? Is this still not possibly an influenced staged revolution that has ulterior motives? From what I understand, Mubarak was against policing and propositions to invade/attack Iran that Israel was putting on the table. I also understand that Israel is very concerned about the situation in Egypt, and are defending Mubarak... but would developments in Egypt prior to Mubarak's departure pave the road towards an attack on Iran? I'm not saying any of this is happening, I'm literally asking you about your thoughts on the possibility based on the quotation from Mubarak himself claiming there are outside sources at work here...

Bolton: If Mubarak falls in Egypt, Israel should bomb Iran

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/02/bolton-israel-bomb-iran-mubarak-falls/

Former US Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton said the ouster of embattled Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak would speed the timetable for an attack on Iran's nuclear facilities.

"Do you think that the Israelis are going to have to strike — they are going to have to take action?" Fox News Republican opinion host Sean Hannity asked the former ambassador on his radio program Monday.

"As you pointed out, ElBaradei ran cover for the Iranians for all those years that he was with the IAEA. And, I just don’t think the Israelis have much longer to wait… they're going to have to act in fairly short order."

"I think that's right," Bolton responded. "I don't think there’s much time to act. And I think the fall of a Egyptian government committed to the peace agreement will almost certainly speed that timetable up."

Seems like Mubarak was against U.S policies aggressive towards Iran, at least on this one occassion...

Egypt Rejects US Nuclear Umbrella

http://original.antiwar.com/fareed-mahdy/2009/08/20/egypt-rejects-us-nuclear-umbrella/

CAIRO — The specter of a U.S. nuclear umbrella for the Middle East haunted the U.S.- Egyptian summit this week. In the run-up to President Hosni Mubarak’s first Washington visit in five years, both the Egyptian leader and his senior aides categorically rejected an undeclared U.S. offer to guarantee defense of the region against atomic weapons as part of a comprehensive Middle East peace plan.

A nuclear umbrella is usually used for the security alliances of the United States with non-nuclear states such as Japan, South Korea, much of Europe, Turkey, Canada, and Australia, originating with the Cold War with the then Soviet Union. For some countries it was an alternative to acquiring nuclear weapons themselves.

According to knowledgeable sources, the Egyptian President insisted with President Barack Obama on Aug. 18 that "what the Middle East needs is peace, security, stability and development," not nuclear weapons.

In doing so, Mubarak reaffirmed Egypt’s pledge underlying the country’s commitment since 1974 for the establishment of a "nuclear-free Middle East."

He's talking about the US. They want him to do an orderly transition instead of sitting it out because they fear that if he is over-thrown by the crowd more extreme elements can take power like they did in Iran 1979. So they are pushing for him to step down and hand over to some one the military supports instead of sitting it out.

the US had more to do in holding Israel back from hitting Iran than anyone else. They don't want a third war to fight and they don't have the intelligence (or bandwidth) to conduct a conclusive strike on the nuke prog. They also don't want Iranian retaliation in Iraq just as they are trying to leave, they don't want the Hormuz Straits blocked smashing the global economy, which has only just recovered. An Israeli strike was a liability because the US would get dragged in to it at a time not of their choosing.

really seems to me like there is a strong outside effort to totally destabilize the middle east. i'm not saying the U.S government is involved in some sort of conspiracy to attack Iran either, I know that the U.S government is very concerned and it is probably the last thing they want to get involved in.

Well I'd say that the US is definitely involved in destabilising the M/E as it works in their advantage.

The idea is called off shore balancing and the way it goes is that if you destabilise a region (as in you create regional conflict, which doesn't mean outright war but just enmity, say Iran V. Iraq or India V. Pakistan) these countries will spend their time and money creating a military and strategy to protect against their regional competitor instead of looking in your direction with hungry eyes.

That means instead of building a blue water navy that can sail over and hit you they are building tanks, strike aircraft, infantry forces, local defences, etc., their missiles will be short to mid-range, they won't invest in mid-air refueling capabilities and all the kind of long range offensive capabilities that can threaten you.

The US wants to create balances of power in each region so it leaves the US relatively unthreatened and free to build up stuff like carrier fleets, missile defense systems, satellite tech, etc. etc. The US doesn't necessarily want war, especially in areas where they want to extract resources and investment dollars from. But the US (and any other country for that matter, it just so happens that the US is the one on top right now. You look back to the say the Peloponnesian wars or the 7 Warring States period and you'll see the same thing for example) would much prefer countries to be pitched against each other in competition than against the US.