Teaching: What Should High School Look Like

Balance

i think i'm going to be a teacher in some capacity when i finish school. everyone knows that the public school system across the country isn't working as it should, everyone has stories about how bad high school was, and ideas how to fix it.

some of the things i've been interested in from a potential teaching perspective are the use of meditation for kids to bring them into the present, allow them to focus and be aware of themselves and their environment. the concept that everyone in the class is an educator and that everyone in the class is a student, no one individual has more to offer than anyone else or that everyone has something to offer that others can learn from. and the use of techniques to get kids out of their comfort zones and not stigmatize being wrong or being afraid to be wrong, dissolving social cliques and the social hierarchy of high school, and a general egalitarian approach to participation and getting everyone actively involved.

what do you think are elements that should be incorporated in the high school classroom by the teacher to promote actual learning? or whatre some things that teachers when you were coming up did that resonated with you and made those teachers influential to you?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
and the use of techniques to get kids out of their comfort zones and not stigmatize being wrong or being afraid to be wrong, dissolving social cliques and the social hierarchy of high school, and a general egalitarian approach to participation and getting everyone actively involved.

this will fail because these same kids who you are training to be more egalitarian in the classroom are still thrown into the world of competition as soon as the bell rings.

e[/color][/b]veryone knows that the public school system across the country isn't working as it should, everyone has stories about how bad high school was, and ideas how to fix it.

some of the things i've been interested in from a potential teaching perspective are the use of meditation for kids to bring them into the present, allow them to focus and be aware of themselves and their environment. the concept that everyone in the class is an educator and that everyone in the class is a student, no one individual has more to offer than anyone else or that everyone has something to offer that others can learn from. and the use of techniques to get kids out of their comfort zones and not stigmatize being wrong or being afraid to be wrong, dissolving social cliques and the social hierarchy of high school, and a general egalitarian approach to participation and getting everyone actively involved.

what do you think are elements that should be incorporated in the high school classroom by the teacher to promote actual learning? or (what were?)whatre some things that teachers (did?)when you were coming up did that resonated with you and made those teachers influential to you?

Great that you want to be a teacher, but maybe you should think about some of the basics, like grammar and punctuation, before getting too wild?

thank you for taking the time to do that man

this will fail because these same kids who you are training to be more egalitarian in the classroom are still thrown into the world of competition as soon as the bell rings.

yes and no. definitely agree that compulsory education is designed to produce gears for the machine and an obedient workforce members on whole, but i feel that through allowing kids to critically analyze what is going on, why things are the way they are, what is expected of them and what they expect of themselves, there is alot that opens up as far as world view and perception of what they can do. you know what i mean?

You can maybe do that stuff, but I dunno how far you can stray from the curriculum that is pre-set. Everyone I know that has gone to teach has gone in with lofty ideas of reforming the system, but quite honestly, you can try what you like the vast majority of the kids won't give or be prepared to do anything to change their situation and they are mature enough to understand they are screwing things up.

Most teachers just end up brow beaten by how many kids don't care about education.

If kids want to do well and make something for themselves give them the attention and help them, kids that don't give a shit just try and keep em in school and get them through their exams because ultimately that is going to be an achievement in itself.

Obviously I am talking about high school/ secondary education leve, anything pre 11 then all the kids should be equally developed and encouraged.

You can maybe do that stuff, but I dunno how far you can stray from the curriculum that is pre-set. Everyone I know that has gone to teach has gone in with lofty ideas of reforming the system, but quite honestly, you can try what you like the vast majority of the kids won't give or be prepared to do anything to change their situation and they are mature enough to understand they are screwing things up.

Most teachers just end up brow beaten by how many kids don't care about education.

If kids want to do well and make something for themselves give them the attention and help them, kids that don't give a shit just try and keep em in school and get them through their exams because ultimately that is going to be an achievement in itself.

Obviously I am talking about high school/ secondary education leve, anything pre 11 then all the kids should be equally developed and encouraged.

true true

• 5 months later...
i think i'm going to be a teacher in some capacity when i finish school. everyone knows that the public school system across the country isn't working as it should, everyone has stories about how bad high school was, and ideas how to fix it.

what do you think are elements that should be incorporated in the high school classroom by the teacher to promote actual learning? or whatre some things that teachers when you were coming up did that resonated with you and made those teachers influential to you?

Surprised & pleased when I found this thread...so many things I'd like to write that may help you...just gonna put a coupla things out there for now...

I was a NYC public high school teacher for 20 years...Believe it or not, there ARE alternative programs that WORK...for students & staff.

Check out:

"Urban Academy HS" in Manhattan...in one word? AMAZING!!!

Book:"Teaching as a Subversive Activity"

CCE: Center for Collaborative Education

I"ll keep this post brief, my health has me totally vexed right now...

Please feel free to pm me on 12oz...I'd like to help/inspire.

Our "kids" need someone like you!!!

You can change the system from within...

*to the idiot who said: 1940s Germany...you remind me of someone in another forum who's a jerk as well.*

• Like 1

hmm, i missed this one . and that spambot, which i will get now.

i have always wondered why in the FUCK high schools don't teach people how to budget money, balance a checkbook, and invest money for retirement.

why not prepare people for actual life, and say a little bit about mortgages, shopping and money management? it's one of the most important things, and they expect parents to teach it, when hlf the time, the parents suck at it.

I understand !@#$%...it's tricky, these "life lessons"...

THANK YOU for taking time to respond...

Those elements: handling money, etc...those come with experience...Now please, don't take my rant for a personal attack...at least you CARE...My frustration/anger/bitterness is directed toward the "mainstream" bullshit people sign on to...

How can young people be expected to even graduate, or continue their learning process with the fucked up racist/biased system we have now? 60% of black & latino young men drop out...then what? Yeah, they're balancing their commissary $ in Rikers? We spend more $ to incarcerate...little to educate...WTF???

I've remained friends with students from 1984-2004...They give me HOPE...when I have NONE.

As usual, I already regret my words...I initially wanted to be a seed of inspiration...sorry for spitting out my bitter heart...;X...

I'll pass by here later when I'm nicer...(?)

well, of course it coms from experience, but all too often, bad experience.

look at how many people cannot handle credit, so many because they don't see at first that it is a business, and a predatory one at that. just saying, it would be nice if more practical lessons were implemented in some schools.

i mean sure, the system is completely fucked up, but ha that's another topic entirely.

Yeah, you're in a much more practical mindset than I am tonight...

The handling of $ would work out if we inspire young folks to THINK...to look at the world with a critical eye, deduce what's right...from the nonsense.

Urban Academy is an example of what education COULD be...it takes immense dedication & love...

I've seen a successful learning environment...& the worst of the worst...Teaching is a calling, you give with no expectations of any kinda reciprocity.

When I discovered this person, "Balance's"post,...it was especially heartwarming...

The love my former "kids" have shown me is worth more than I can say...I got back more than heaven coulda rained down on me!!!

Now...I hope this future teacher will get in touch/respond too...

Best to ya 12oz...I soooo appreciate your words...

I'll get ta doin somethin more "practical" now...;) xxx Lata...

I accidentally just clicked into crossfire and was about to re-route myself to Channel Zero, but your thread caught my attention before I could do so.

I have absolutely no interest in reading through the rest of your thread so I have no idea if anybody mentioned this yet or not, but please do humanity a favor and not bring the fucking cops into it whenever they act up or there's typical static between kids.

From what I gather, that seems to be the M.O. these days.

Just remember how shit was when you were coming up, and don't be "that guy" who forgets what it's like to be a kid.

I can't fucking believe they have uniforms and jail cells in schools these days.

Kids are supposed to be sent to detention or suspended, not fucking jail when they get into fights.

And the weirder kids are also supposed to get that dressing like a fucking idiot faze out of their system when they're teenagers.

Just be sure to remember what the fuck it was like when you were a kid, and don't be the fucking asshole who forgets.

I think a huge problem is the lack of future for most kids, even ones that do reasonably well in school. Unless you can afford to go get a degree in something that will actually provide a career then there really isnt much you can do.

The way the job markets and society is nowadays leads so much to a service driven industry that most people will end up working in a call center sort of environment which to be honest is worse than death.

Teaching kids to understand what the real world is actually like is so important because if they dont take charge at the age they are and start planning out then they will get stuck in employment limbo and only the lucky few will be able to progress through that.

Sorry for ranting probably just angry at my own situation and not actually trying in school and regretting it now.

I think a huge problem is the lack of future for most kids, even ones that do reasonably well in school. Unless you can afford to go get a degree in something that will actually provide a career then there really isnt much you can do.

The way the job markets and society is nowadays leads so much to a service driven industry that most people will end up working in a call center sort of environment which to be honest is worse than death.

Truth be told...Decyferon.

Had many crumby jobs myself...it can begin to look bleak...

Urban Academy has an almost 100% graduation rate, all college-bound too. Most of the students have been unsuccessful/unhappy/lost in larger schools. Urban has a diverse, small population, 85-100 students. Every kid must volunteer at a "community service" one afternoon each week. (I know, com/ser reminds one of punishment). This gives them a chance to develop a resume, helps with college admissions...helps inner growth...There are grants allowing for purchase of 1st year college textbooks, creative arts grants that allowed me to design & supervise the construction of a darkroom. There's a video documentary course. I could elaborate...but, you get the jist...

Before Urban Academy had it's own home, the co-directors started programs in HS's around NYC. In 1985, I was asked to join their team "The Inquiry Demonstration Project". Erasmus Hall HS in East Flatbush BK was the 2nd most violent school in NY at the time.

I was asked if I'd teach a graffiti art/photography class in the Inquiry project. Unbelievable, right? I am still friends with many of my "kids" in that class...(the graff class is an entire story/never-ending mission for another time!!!) I am still friends with most of my kids from that class (& others...)

Best believe I am proud of my kids!!!

Wayne-graduated from Pratt...now has his own web design co., 3 kids, wife, great guy.

Rudy-overcame a lot...now a father of 3 boys, we have a strong bond, he's a wonderful, hard-working, creative man...we were big influences in each other's lives.

"Shaggy" Orville Richard Burrell- a platinum selling recording artist today!!! Came from Jamaica, WI with his Mom, lived in a one room apt. NOW he has a mansion ion Kingston next to the prime minister's place. (Plus homes in FLA, LI...) Can you (anyone) believe this shit??? He got discovered singing on the street in Flatbush...he served 2 tours in Desert Storm as a marine, in the midst of his music career too. Orville is a down-to-earth soul...Mr. Luva-Luva!!! We put a rap show together at EHall in '86...of course, there was a R-I-O-T. Yep. I said R-I-O-T. I thought I was gonna die.

Leida-lives in Texas now. has a good job with Sprint.

David-a graphic designer, totally amazing work.

Unfortunately, one of our crew, David, "STRIDER" was shot & paralyzed in DC. Later he died from lead poisoning...from the bullets. F'd up. Some kids are MIA. I'll keep searching though.

Teaching kids to understand what the real world is actually like is so important because if they dont take charge at the age they are and start planning out then they will get stuck in employment limbo and only the lucky few will be able to progress through that.

Sorry for ranting probably just angry at my own situation and not actually trying in school and regretting it now.

Please, don't even go there!!! You're apologizing for your honesty!!! Obviously, my new tag should be "RANT", unless it's taken..

I am sorry you have regrets...HOPEfully, they won't stick around.

Just when I think my life's not worth shit...one of my "kids" (yeah, 40 yr old kids) will turn my whole being around. My son went to Urban too...I was shocked he chose a HS where he'd be in one or more of my art classes every day!!!

Damn...I better post this before some crazy shit happens again...

Thanks for giving me a place to be.

Always, HOPE ;) xxx

• Like 1

I think parenting has a lot to do with it as well, me and my wife and actively taking part in my sons education and always encourage and help him, I think that is something a lot of kids are lacking these days having people at home to encourage and help.

That Urban Academy sounds like a brilliant idea, I think a lot of the current curriculum (well here in the UK at least) seems very old and stagnant, you want to be able to grab attention and spark that interest because otherwise all you are doing is filling seats and quotas.

I keep getting told I should go into teaching but I dont have the money or time to put in the study and support my family which is annoying to say the least!! But it certainly sounds like the Urban academy is the sort of place I would love to work.

HOPE, don't worry about rants, yours seem very cohesive and crossfire is all about cohesive rantings.

If I'd gotten some sleep, maybe I'd have realized your UK location!!! Meanwhile, I messed up trying to download a profile pic...the friggin laptop froze. Then, one of my 9 cats spilled my coffee 2x, then my water...now he's on top of the fridge wreckin something else...so funny these critters.

The co-directors of Urban both studied at Oxford, they own a townhouse in London. They're a husband & wife team.

I'm sittin here thinkin you're on the other side of BK!!! For some reason, always thought 12oz was a BK deal...or at least outta NYC.

Lucky you & the fam. I thought England was awesome...Ireland too. (*their food's better, sorry...) Who needs food with all the great ale???

Waiting for a water delivery...I look like shit. UGH. Downloaded some music & destroyed the computer settings. How? Not a clue. (Obama is in South Africa...he's meeting the icon NELSON MANDELA...Barrack-sew your cojones back on!!! Obama=Disappointment...a black Reagan/Bush we have now.)

SORRY...went off-topic. Delete this if you wanna...can't find my edit button...

Maybe in time, I'll figure out what all the creative posting options are...can barely get a post out before I screw something up. As an artist, shoulda been a lil colorful here.

That Urban Academy sounds like a brilliant idea, I think a lot of the current curriculum (well here in the UK at least) seems very old and stagnant

Your words reminded me of 1991. I decided to teach summer school. BLOOD $$$. Do I get sent to an air-conditioned school? Not. I get sent to Bushwick, BK badlands then. Crack houses. Burned out blocks. Bleak? Hells yeah. No fear, just bleak.

If you're the only class offered in a subject area, there's no cap on class size. Thanks union. Instead of 35 students, I get 50+ in each of my 3 art classes.

Windows are all nailed shut so desks could not be thrown out of the 5th floor. It's friggin' 1000 degrees. The union rep gives me the supply closet key. A BOX OF WOOL???? 150 kids. Unreal -No paper. Pencils. Rulers. Paint. Old messed up wool scraps. This is how kids are treated. They got literature books. FROM THE late 40s/early 50s!!! Useless lit text books. No classics or anything relative to an urban teenager. My classroom door was broken. No lock. Kids roaming the halls would throw rotten fruit at us from the cafeteria. I got some magic markers from the union rep. After threatening to call the news. AGAIN. It was so hot, kids' sweat dripped onto their artwork & marker colors ran.

THERE IS HOPE...in young people anyways.

"American Federation of Teachers". Not an original thought anywhere.

Mandates. Standards to produce data=NOTHING.

All these ADMINISTRATORS want is to have kids prepare for standardized tests. Period. NOW teachers can waste time preparing computer graphs showing how students can memorize nonsense. Isn't that what computers are for?

Only alternative IS alternative. Progressive vs Regressive.

NO CHILD left behind. Damn.

...you want to be able to grab attention and spark that interest because otherwise all you are doing is filling seats and quotas.

I keep getting told I should go into teaching but I dont have the money or time to put in the study and support my family which is annoying to say the least!! But it certainly sounds like the Urban academy is the sort of place I would love to work.

HOPE, don't worry about rants, yours seem very cohesive and crossfire is all about cohesive rantings.

• 9 months later...

I have attended 7 high schools. From what i remember there lacked a lot of one on one teacher student time. Individual hands on training with students is the way to go when trying to reach the heart of the matter on any subject. That's how i would teach

• 5 months later...
If I'd gotten some sleep, maybe I'd have realized your UK location!!! Meanwhile, I messed up trying to download a profile pic...the friggin laptop froze. Then, one of my 9 cats spilled my coffee 2x, then my water...now he's on top of the fridge wreckin something else...so funny these critters.

The co-directors of Urban both studied at Oxford, they own a townhouse in London. They're a husband & wife team.

I'm sittin here thinkin you're on the other side of BK!!! For some reason, always thought 12oz was a BK deal...or at least outta NYC.

Lucky you & the fam. I thought England was awesome...Ireland too. (*their food's better, sorry...) Who needs food with all the great ale???

Waiting for a water delivery austin...I look like shit. UGH. Downloaded some music & destroyed the computer settings. How? Not a clue. (Obama is in South Africa...he's meeting the icon NELSON MANDELA...Barrack-sew your cojones back on!!! Obama=Disappointment...a black Reagan/Bush we have now.)

SORRY...went off-topic. Delete this if you wanna...can't find my edit button...

Maybe in time, I'll figure out what all the creative posting options are...can barely get a post out before I screw something up. As an artist, shoulda been a lil colorful here.

12oz is a big deal outta nyc! :lol: