Has Punk/Heavy Metal ruined graffiti's 'style'?

shaolinmasta

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I saw graff as a child and knew i wanted to get into it way before i ever got into hip hop. Hip hop was definitely my gateway into graff though.

Most of my friends and that writers arent even into hip hop. I know writers who are straight metal heads, punk rockers, indie kids and even a hipster kid. They kill shit! They love graff. Each of them brings something new to the table.

• 1 month later...

Re: Has HIP HOP ruined graffiti's 'style'?

IF IT WASN'T FOR SUICIDAL EXCEL UNCLE SLAM THE WHOLE VENICE 80'S SCENE! YOU WOULD HAVE NO AWR/MSK/CBS! THE MEXICAN BARIO'S BEEN WRITING SINCE BEFORE THE 50'S(DECADES BEFORE TAKI) SO DONT GIVE ME THIS PUNK METAL RUINED GRAFFS STYLE WRITING ON WALLS STARTED IN LA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVup3AY57PY SPRAY PAINT THE WALLS BLACK FLAG 1981

Maybe 10% of the writers I know are into hip-hop...the vast majority I've met via the punk scene.

I don't think music has anything to do with quality...some people are lazier since the internet became their main source of inspiration. On the flip side of that, I see a lot of styles being mixed with varying results.

Commitment and talent have a lot more of an impact on me than skill. Anyone can rip ideas off, practice and learn how to fake it, but they're never going to stand out.

• 4 weeks later...

if you aint trying to be fresh you are not doing my type of graffiti. not fixing your outlines when you fuck up and force fields that dont fit snuggly on your outline for the sake of making your shit trendy. im not talking about toys here im taking about people who have shown to be able to be fresh in the past but are choosing the path that is becoming accepted as new and current. to me thats a cop out so you can get out of dodge quicker. skinny tip bombing because you cant rack enough paint. anyways thats what is fucking up graff.

don't associate hipsters and scene kids with punks and ..thanks but yea uh I think there are people who are in it for a minute and don't know the history about style and thats why graff is going down the tubes I know dudes who listen to straight up reggae and are dope at graff. Its not about the music you listen to, it's about the work and dedication, and time you put in like anything else, thats just my 2 cents.

I gonna go with...it doesn't matter what music your into, its just some people have style and some don't. You have to want it, to become a better writer.

and of course there is always going to be people who just want to tag wack shit and destroy things.

i could stand to lose hip hop's 'style' from graffiti. then maybe it'll look a lot less like arrows and played out styles executed cleanly. the old dudes undoubtedly get a pass for this since they're the innovators of this style, and were cultivated in such an atmosphere. i'd rather see dudes push the envelope, if that means hip hop is taken out of equation and the 'comfort zone' it's been in for years, then so be it, this ain't beat street anymore.

besides, i'd rather have someone push a needle through both of my testicles at once than let newer hip hop define styles. you seen these dudes? i'll let you keep the 50000 pieces with aesop rock and atmosphere quotes next to it, and i'll take the weird ones motivated by slayer and sacrificing virgins

• Like 1

Style is what brings the individuality to the graff culture, it's what makes people stand out from a crop full of bitten styles that were handed down from one generation to the next. We are seeing an emergence of a different mutations of the culture. If you've managed to make a name for yourself and have a following then you've achieved what you set out too do in the first place. Sure hip hop was part of it form the early years, but even hip hop music is a bunch of different styles of music mashed up to make a new sound or beat.

It's all subjective in the end...

• 2 weeks later...

This makes me laugh, you all know modern day graffiti pre dates the hip hop movment.

When they were painting trains in the 70's hip hop wasn't widley recorded and most writers listened to funk/rocknroll/metal and some were even punks. The writers and cholos on the west coast bumped oldies from the 40's and 50's and electro.

Graffiti got put in with hip hop beacause artists were doing the fliers for all the jams. Case Closed!