Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RiSE-DvS

Names/Identities/Pseudonyms

Hey guys,

Well, being new to the sub-culture of graffiti and street-art (I've tagged for years, but never really knew anyone else who did, and I didn't care much to learn about the history), I'm having troubles with getting on my feet. Mainly with coming up with a word/name/etc.

At first I was using TwizZ, but now I realize that it's really hard to make it look good because the letters are so hard to get to flow nicely. I mean, sometimes I can make it look half-decent but usually it just looks like hell.

Then, I came up with RiSE. I didn't like the S, so I dropped it and replaced it with a Z. I like the flow now, but the problem is that it's already taken (Rize One).

I'm just wondering, does it matter if I use the same name as someone else? I mean, I can change it to "Rize Two" or something and use an original style, but I just feel that by using someone else's name, I'm kind of ripping them off. Even if I thought of it before I knew that it was already used.

So basically what I'm wondering is does it matter specifically what name I use, or is it mostly about the style? How did you guys come up with your names?

some people say stick to one name, but when your starting out your obviously going to pick a shit name. some people cant stick with just one.

ive got writers block too, just cant find a name that i love at the moment

it's not how you flow with a name it's what your name means to you.

having the same name can give you beef most of the time but if you truely like a certain name stick with it and try to be original as possible to call it yours.

i dont think it matter what your name is, as long as you personally like it, if some one has the same name as another writer i dont think it matters because its two different people energy being poured into that, and is (or should be) visible to others that two different individuals did it, also i dont write to have people give me credit and be like yo ****** is dope, its not about competing for me so maybe idk

Yeah I think I'm just going to stick to Rize for now until I can figure out something else... Besides, I don't think changing my name up makes a fucking difference to anyone else. I don't even know why it bothers people. It's just a word for fuck sake.

And Juan I agree with you totally on that one. If two people are using the same tag, it shouldn't fucking matter. Who cares. As long as you're not stealing the person's style and trying to make your name off someone else's hard work, it shouldn't matter. The style is what matters.

I bet everyone who has started in the last 5-10 years is using a name that someone else used before them. Most graffiti artists were never documented and once their shit got buffed and they stopped getting up, people forgot about the names. So there really IS no such thing as an original name anymore. Just use whatever speaks to YOU, don't worry about everyone else.

Haters will hate no-matter what. If they hate on your name and you change it, they'll hate on your style. If you change up your style, they'll find something else. It's the way life goes.

Hey guys,

Well, being new to the sub-culture of graffiti and street-art (I've tagged for years, but never really knew anyone else who did, and I didn't care much to learn about the history), I'm having troubles with getting on my feet. Mainly with coming up with a word/name/etc.

At first I was using TwizZ, but now I realize that it's really hard to make it look good because the letters are so hard to get to flow nicely. I mean, sometimes I can make it look half-decent but usually it just looks like hell.

Then, I came up with RiSE. I didn't like the S, so I dropped it and replaced it with a Z. I like the flow now, but the problem is that it's already taken (Rize One).

I'm just wondering, does it matter if I use the same name as someone else? I mean, I can change it to "Rize Two" or something and use an original style, but I just feel that by using someone else's name, I'm kind of ripping them off. Even if I thought of it before I knew that it was already used.

So basically what I'm wondering is does it matter specifically what name I use, or is it mostly about the style? How did you guys come up with your names?

and the only reason you changed your name from twiz to rise is cuz your daddy caught you.

Hey guys,

Wow this is such an original thread i felt the need to respond. So you are asking about a few things here I am going to have a long response to break it down to you.

1.Twizz - yeah keep practicing learn how to write it

2. Rise - wow that is completely original

3. rize two - holy shit where did you ever get that idea?

4. no one gives a fuck if you want someone to give a fuck pick something other then graffiti or 12oz we already have enough trolls on here

we have a thread discussing names.

please use it

or the 'toy questions'

thread.

thanks