Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hayabusa

Artist quality paint vs Student quality paint

Does anyone notice a difference in the two?

Are the price differences justified or what? Ive been able to do pretty good work with either, and Im wondering whether its all just a cash grab....

being that i work at a paint store i know pretty much all about prices:quality in paint. Honestly in most cases you get what you pay for. Golden acrylics for example, the pigment will go alot further than a student grade brand. a little bit of water will go all long way. They mix better, they last longer, they dont fade in light, they have a truer brighter colour. But the main difference is that there is more pigment! one tube of artist quality paint might colour an entire swimming pool while a cheap brand might only dilute the water a bit. Same goes with oils for the most part, and watercolour

tis sad but I guess the way we look at spray paint is the same, somewhat. I got a ton of Liquitex Basics because they were mad cheap and over all...I mean really....I should of just spend the money and bought their "heavy body" ones instead. Ive always known golden to be a "never let down." Im not a big paint although Im trying to be better at it yet I can understand the concept of more pigment the better. I think really that goes for any paint no matter where it might be applicable.

Had to check back because I was twisted last night.....I think the best thing to do over all is find what colors work for you. I mentioned the basics and for instance I was going for a green and purple 6 color setup. The two lighter greens were good, all three shades of the purple I chose had great coverage, yet the darkest of the greens was freaking transparent. Also to being that they were stretched to the extent they could handle already I had to use a minimal amount of water to paint with. Too much and it was horrible. So Ive been buying from different brands now depending on the color.

Yet here I am preaching to Haya... ahhah who has a lot more experience than I. Oh wells.

But yeah I think its a cash grab everywhere now a days. Being that I lean more towards ceramics and the colorants in that field deal with raw materials (of course at a heated level) but when you think about it artists from older times made their paint. Ever thought of DIY paints, be pretty cool to say you created the paint on your paintings. Might even open avenues restricting/expanding your work to certain color schemes because of limited/abundant access to raw materials.

For instance I ordered recently pounds of Copper Carbonate (that lovely blue greenish stuff that appears on copper and brass after exposed to hydration). So that is used readily in makeups, paints, and glazes for ceramics. I paid basically 7 dollars a pound (raw materials fluctuate in price) and think of how far you could stretch just one pound in a paint medium. Oxides of many colors like black, yellow, red, and brown are around the same price although brown is like 75 cents a pound. Pretty cheap when you consider that you pay like 12 dollars for a lil tiny thing of Golden.

I never thought of it today using them in application to canvas work. Sorry for the wild tangent ahahha although it seems Google is your friend if your interested. I didnt read the whole site but it seems to have a lot to offer.

http://www.paintmaking.com/

Yeah, experiment. Some people like to use cheap paint for the effect. Then again high quality paint might have color intensity that you don't actually see much anywhere else other than arts. Compare silk screen prints for example, to regular offset etc.

And pay attention to the opacity rating, they're usually marked with square graphics on the label.

These are done with cheap walmart Folk art and Apple Apperal or something paints.. i jsut got use to them .. i was using Golden open acrylics a while ago but started using these so much that figured out how to mix whatever color i want. and i also mix Golden open thinner and or gloss with my paints.. its all about getting use to what you use..

"Jimi Hendrix 2011"

Acrylics 50" by 30"

jimihendrixs.jpg

"Naked Goose"

Acrylicsd51" by 30"

naked_goose_by_nomak_gfk-d4i8bb3.jpg

I use cheap craft paint, between $1 and $2 a bottle and goes awhile. It is thin and some colors are not so great, but like nomaq said, you just have to get use to what you are working with. When it comes down to it, it is not about the paint. The paint may make it easier on yourself.

6277443610_057789f7f3_z.jpg

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now