MLB 2011.. never to early thread!

KARD like WOE

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Pat The Bat out to pasture too, speaking of former phillies.....I hear crazy stories about the man, retirement will be good to him I'm sure

he is an animal.

i used to catch him at the PnP (pen and pencil) a members after hours bar in center city all the time.

we've thrown back whisky.

pat the glove is a legendary philly for sure.

4 year, $50m deal for Papelbon is wayy too much, in my opinion.

On another FA note, it looks like the Twins are picking up Jamey Carroll for their full time SS, with a 2 year, $7m deal. I definitely would prefer that number to be closer to $5m, but still a good pick up in my opinion. My only gripe is that he is going to be 38 before the start of the 2012 season. On the bright side though, he hasn’t had any health issues and if nothing else, he will fill the role until someone in our minor league system steps up and he can go to a utility player role.

“in 2011, posting a .290/.359/.347 line in 510 plate appearances. He hasn't posted an on-base percentage below .355 in any of the past four seasons and he has a career mark of .356 after a decade in the Major Leagues.”

VS

our shortstops in 2011 hitting a combined .238/.292/.320

Basically, it looks like we just signed a Nick Punto who can actually get on base at a decent clip. Should slot in nicely for the 2 spot, to break up some of the lefties.

It blows my mind how dumb the average poster on MLB.com and ESPN is. Twins have maybe $20 million to spend this year during the offseason, and in all the topics about us signing Carroll, like half the people are simultaneously talking about how we should've signed Reyes and how Mauer/Morneau are terrible signings. Yeah, fucking brilliant. Lets sign another injury prone player, use the bulk of our remaining payroll, and forget about all those other positions we need to fill.

Are we overpaying for Carroll? Absolutely, but he's an effective stopgap until Plouffe pulls it together, or until Dozier is ready for the bigs. And if we tried to lowball and bargain, someone else would've snatched him up right quick. Sometimes I wonder if these forum-fans actually watch any games, talking about how they'd rather have Nishioka and Plouffe out there for another year, punting around slow ground balls, throwing 10 feet off of first base, and rocking an OBP under .300

personally im not a fan of anything out of boston, but dude is established and has a good attitude, good record, and good stuff... cant hate on that.

been away for a few days, sorry

so you would not like to see Pedroia or Ellsbury in a Phils uniform? your crazy!

pap going to the Phils i think is a good deal. yea he is not the paplebon of a few years back but he still is nasty and now being in the NL he is going to be awesome. the money and years is a bit much but i have seen FAR worse deals. historically AL pitchers that move down to the NL do great where as NL pitchers going to the AL not so much.

as far as posada him doing anything other then retiring a yankee is so lame to me. why bother dude. your rich you dont need the money. do the right thing and end your career with grace. whats he gonna do someplace else? play 40 games as a backup?

good to see Ramos head will not be separated from his body

new marlins logo AWFUL. so bad

Francona gonna go to cards or cubs IMO

I know non of you give a shit about the Twins besides Ferris, but I still feel inclined to post this somewhere, since this guy did a good job of describing our current situation and what I was getting at in my last post in regards to Carroll:

I'm with Nick that the stopgap approach makes sense.

It's not like he's blocking MLB-ready talent from Rochester. We saw firsthand that those guys aren't ready for prime time yet.

The Twins have FA money to spend, but too many holes to fill for it to make sense to throw it all at someone like Reyes.

Guys like Carroll are low risk high reward. Best case scenario, Span, Mauer, Morneau, et al are able to stay healthy and return to form, and aided by capable veterans, are able to compete in a very winnable division.

Worst case scenario, the team stinks again, and you become sellers at the deadline. Reasonably priced veterans are often in demand by contending teams at the deadline, so you can pick up a few picks or prospects to help re-stock the cupboard that was left bare by Mr. Ryan's predecessor.

It's frustrating that the Twins are at the point where this is the kind of move that makes sense, but I don't see what else they can do.

You can't stick with what you've got. You don't have the assets to improve via trade. There's no cavalry coming from Rochester. A big splash in the FA market fills only one of many needs. So the FA bargain-bin approach is the only one that makes sense. And I don't see it as inconsistent with rebuilding.

It blows my mind how dumb the average poster on MLB.com and ESPN is.

You can't fight them, plain and simple. They are idiots. You should hear what the old school baseball writers here in town (Reusse, Souhan) have to say about 90% of the fans. The worst ones are the people that demand that Mauer be traded. If they knew anything about his contract, it has a NO TRADE CLAUSE.

Speaking of the aforementioned writers, they are totally ripping the Carroll signing.

I know non of you give a shit about the Twins besides Ferris

That's right my nigga, and I'm on board with the Carroll signing.

The money is much, but the Twins have cheese. Carroll's contract is less than what Punto's was when he re-signed as an FA over the winter of 2008 (2 yr, $8mil). And that was Metrodome money. The news broke late Friday, but there is always the possibility that there are incentives in the deal.

The way I see it, this is a low risk, high reward. Albeit this seems to create a logjam in the middle infield, but having him could benefit the younger guys like Plouffe and Hughes from a mentoring standpoint. They were failed at AAA Rochester, and as a result (but will never be admitted to), some of the coaching staff lost their jobs. We're going to need the young guys on the club because of their offense. Plouffe could find himself in the outfield, Hughes can play all four fielding positions in the infield, Parmelee is pretty much a lock for 1B to spell Morneau (or play for him pretty much if he can't get over the concussion symptoms...still). I really don't know what the hell else Terry Ryan could do about this. We'll see at Spring Training.

As for Carroll, most people are saying he shouldn't be an everyday player. He played in 146 for the Dodgers last year and commited 9 errors between SS and 2B. How many errors did we see last year between SS and 2B COMBINED? I lost count. He can field the ball behind ground ball pitchers like Pavano, Blackburn (if he ever returns to 2009 form), and Baker (on a good day).

His bat will come in handy. Career .356 OBP, 131 hits in 2011? Yes, please. And I'll share the same sentiments with the more in tune fans out there - perfect #2 guy. Bats behind Span, and before Mauer (if healthy), Morneau (if healthy), etc.

And I don't know what the fuck we're going to do with Nishioka. He'll be at Spring Training, I'm sure. Unless he doesn't do something INSANELY GOOD, I really hope there will be a mutual agreement to just buyout the remaining two years of his contract for like a few million.