MLB 2011.. never to early thread!

KARD like WOE

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think there is a whole TON OF MAN CRUSHES goin on in here for wilson.

dear wilson____

...quit trying to be a comedian..., it so manufactured and forced.

...Your commercials are not funny.

...Your act is tired.

...Is your mid-life crisis over?

...Just For Men seems more obvious than Taco Bell.

...Halloween is only 1 day a year.

**fixed...for now**

Good article on Buehrle on mlb.com. I feel like a lot of people overlook the guy, because he isn't a dominant powerhouse of a pitcher, but he's been consistently holding it down for over a decade.

From 2001 to 2011, Buehrle ranks first in the Majors with 362 games started. Sabathia sits third at 355. Buehrle's 2,425 1/3 innings stand as more than any other hurler during that period, with Sabathia checking in second. And Buehrle's 230 quality starts, a total extended by Buehrle's 18 straight starts allowing three runs or fewer during the 2011 season, place him No. 1 and four ahead of Sabathia. His 80 pickoffs and 274 induced double plays also are greater than anyone else during his run.

Terry Ryan is at the helm (again) on an interim basis. He was not happy or impressed with what he's seen as an assistant to Bill Smith (he did establish the Twins farm as reputable until recently), especially with the injuries and how long it took for players to get back on the field, so you never know what will happen.

He's a real baseball dude and a great talent evaluator, but yeah, get the trainers out of there. JJ Hardy's wrist bugged him all 2009. Spring Training with the Orioles, the wrist flared up again, and he was back on the field in a week and tore it up during the regular season.

Hadn't seen this article yet: http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111107&content_id=25931752&vkey=news_min&c_id=min

Glad to see he's already talking about the training staff on the first day he's back as the GM. The amount of basic injuries that were keeping players off the field for extended periods of time was ridiculous this past season.

I'm interested in other peoples' opinions on starting pitchers and ERA. More specifically, I think a lot of people tend to overvalue ERA as a stat and overlook a lot of other important factors. For example, let's say we have pitcher A who has an ERA of 3.00 and averages around 5-6 innings pitcher per start. Then we have pitcher B with an ERA of 3.50 who averages over 7 innings a start. I feel like too many people are quick to jump to conclusions and say that pitcher A is automatically the better pitcher, and forget about the club specific factors. You have to look at the big picture and also consider the bullpen and the other starting pitchers. Are the starters before and after the pitcher going to need to rely heavily on the bullpen? How deep is your bullpen? How effective is your bullpen?

Maybe it's just me, but reading the ESPN/MLB.com boards and talking with other people, I feel like everyone is all ERA and never knows any of their pitchers other stats. Opinions?

I'm interested in other peoples' opinions on starting pitchers and ERA. More specifically, I think a lot of people tend to overvalue ERA as a stat and overlook a lot of other important factors. For example, let's say we have pitcher A who has an ERA of 3.00 and averages around 5-6 innings pitcher per start. Then we have pitcher B with an ERA of 3.50 who averages over 7 innings a start. I feel like too many people are quick to jump to conclusions and say that pitcher A is automatically the better pitcher, and forget about the club specific factors. You have to look at the big picture and also consider the bullpen and the other starting pitchers. Are the starters before and after the pitcher going to need to rely heavily on the bullpen? How deep is your bullpen? How effective is your bullpen?

Maybe it's just me, but reading the ESPN/MLB.com boards and talking with other people, I feel like everyone is all ERA and never knows any of their pitchers other stats. Opinions?

First I'll look at a pitcher's ERA and then I look at his WHIP (Walks and hits/per innings

pitched). I think the ERA gives you an idea but combine that with the WHIP and I think a

clearer picture develops of how often a pitcher is putting guys on base. Those two

for me are what I usually look at. As far as innings pitched, I think that varies for each

pitcher and a managers bullpen strength.

Yeah, ERA has too many factors that play into it, specifically the defense playing behind a pitcher. And say a guy is pulled in the sixth with a high pitch count (Liriano?) after putting two runners on 1st and 2nd. The relief pitcher comes in and gives up a bases clearing double. The starter earned those runs.

ERA is kind of a collective thing, I suppose.

If you're looking at a pitcher as an individual, I think the best stats are K/9, BB/9, and ground ball rate.

if u put the men on, u deserve the runs, even if some other slob throws up a meatball.

it works both ways, how many times u see middle relief guys with low era's that BLOW!

well, they come in, they load the bases, they get pulled, a real pitcher comes in and get's out of a jam, pitcher #1 era stays low.

it works both ways son.

if u put the men on, u deserve the runs, even if some other slob throws up a meatball.

it works both ways, how many times u see middle relief guys with low era's that BLOW!

well, they come in, they load the bases, they get pulled, a real pitcher comes in and get's out of a jam, pitcher #1 era stays low.

it works both ways son.

Right. I was giving an example of how ERA isn't the best measure of a pitcher's overall performance.

speaking of guys with good stuff

jonathan sanchez to the royals for melky cabrera....

I cant say I'm a huge melky fan, but with all the guys most likely leaving our outfield this off season, I understand the move.

sanchez has great stuff, and tons of potential, but dude is a fucking headcase. a bad call can total destroy his focus, and I've seen him straight give up on live plays, in game....disgusting

speaking of guys with good stuff

jonathan sanchez to the royals for melky cabrera....

I cant say I'm a huge melky fan, but with all the guys most likely leaving our outfield this off season, I understand the move.

sanchez has great stuff, and tons of potential, but dude is a fucking headcase. a bad call can total destroy his focus, and I've seen him straight give up on live plays, in game....disgusting

this pisses me off, after last season, and the history of him gunning for utleys head...

and all the shady he said she said... i really wanted to face this dude in a SF uniform this upcoming season.