MLB 2011.. never to early thread!

KARD like WOE

LOS ANGELES -- A 42-year-old Santa Cruz man was in critical condition at a Los Angeles area hospital Friday after being beaten and kicked by two men wearing Dodgers attire in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium Thursday night, according to Los Angeles police.

Bryan Stow went to the opening game with three friends, at least some of whom work with him at American Medical Response, said his brother-in-law, David Collins of Scotts Valley.

Stow, a Giants fan, is a father of two who works as a paramedic, Collins said. Friends said he works in Santa Clara County.

"He's not doing too well," he said Friday afternoon. "He's still unconscious and they just decided to put him in a medically induced coma. They are hoping the brain swelling will go down, but it hasn't and they are talking about removing one of his frontal lobes."Collins said he spoke with one of Stow's friends who told him the four were wearing Giants attire and being heckled by several people as they left the game. They ignored them, he said, and then two men "came out of nowhere" and struck Stow in the back of the head.

He fell and struck his head on the pavement and the men continued to attack him, kicking and hitting him, Collins said.

His friends tried to intervene, but it was crowded and they had trouble reaching him, he said. During the melee, the assailants ran off, he said.

"Bryan is the biggest, that is probably why they jumped on him first," he said. "The gentleman I

Advertisement

talked to was still shook-up. Both guys pushed Bryan down, so he didn't even see them coming."

Los Angeles police Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg said the suspects were described as Latino men in their late teens or early 20s. And though the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers rivalry is well-known and long-standing, Rosenberg said this attack goes way beyond acceptable fan behavior.

"We can sit and talk for hours about fan mentality," he said. "It's fun to talk about my team is better than your team, but when you cross the line like this, there's no excuse. I'm ashamed to see this."

Los Angeles detective P.J. Morris said investigators reviewed surveillance tape, but couldn't make out the suspects among the thousands of people in the parking lot.

"But we do have several leads we're looking at," he said. "We're going to stay on this as long as we have to get it resolved. I hate for this to happen. People come down to our city to enjoy a game and something like this happens. It's not right."

Morris said there is an area gang that favors Dodgers caps and it has become a gang symbol for them.

"We've seen a lot of gang members wearing it, but I don't know if that's related here," he said.

Collins said he is hoping someone would come forward who saw the attack or captured it on a cell phone camera or something.

He said Stow's parents, Ann and Dave Stow of Capitola, are active at St. Joseph's Catholic Church and that Ann Stow works at St. John's Catholic Church in Felton. Those communities and his family and friends are praying for him, Collins said.

"We're all pretty shocked," Collins said. "We are all praying for him."

Several family members flew to Los Angeles today to be with him, he said.

Robert Oneto, a friend of Bryan Stow, said Stow is not a fighter and it would not be like him to start a fight.

"He's a great guy, he's mellow," Oneto said. "It's tragic when you go to a sporting event and something like this happens.

Oneto sponsored Stow to become a member of the Moose Lodge on El Rancho Drive in Scotts Valley, although he had not yet become a member. They met at a paving business, and he said Stow has a teenage boy and a young girl with his ex-wife who lives in Capitola.

Oneto said he last saw Stow about a month ago at a San Jose Giants game, where Stow was working as a paramedic.

"He's proud of his team," Oneto said.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u slobs already mad?

dam, the season just started and you guys are already cryin...

just havin a little fun...

i respect the giants.

there u go, is that what u wanted to hear?

sorry im not gonna sit on here and deapthroat every giants comment on the board.

yes i am from philly.

and truth be told, sounds like u guys are scared...

i think yall aint willing to admit the reality of the matter.

so well just let the season play out ok...

worst franchise in all of sports?

or older then your expansion team?

Dodgers an expansion team? Both teams began in 1883, your's just has more losses than ANYONE.

Seriously you should be banned from coming in here and talking sports.

You sound like some faggot 10 year old kid more interested in ballet until your dad gives you a pack of baseball cards and takes you to a phillies game to man you up. Then you just spout ridiculous Phillies garbage to seek his approval. You bandwagon fan type probably don't know who was the previous manager before Charlie Manuel.

Go ahead and try to say wow way to tell your story Pistol on how you grew up. Even your 'comebacks' are lame, tired and predictable.

• Like 2

I hope someone else just saw Joe West pick up the barrel of a broken bat in the twins/jays game, and then try to pretend sword fight with it with the bat boy before he handed it over to him. That paunchy motherfucker.

Just our luck to get two of the worst umpires in the same crew officiating the opening series. Classic Angel Hernandez calling a balk on Pavano in the first inning.

What a painful series that was.

Yeah, contracts were up for both Jon and Joe and they weren't made offers. I preferred Jon over Joe, though. Great play by play. He's probably doing radio games for the Giants now.

loved em both equal...

hall of famer joe morgan

come on son sho the love...

joe to SF RADIO... tragic

you got to be kidding me. JOE MORGAN was possibly the worst commentator in mlb history. even worse than michael kay. for such a great player you figured he would know the game but damn he was like a old alzhiemers patient. terrible.

Fucking Scott Baker. So good when he's on...can't seem to turn it on the majority of the time and then he just turns into batting practice for the other team.

Also, Joe West and Angel Hernandez still being on the same squad is terrible. At least we got blown out and didn't lose because of them being terrible umps. Ha.

Edit: "It's been 20 years since I've been on the mound and I still want to go out there and drill him...I shouldn't say that."

I love Bert Blyleven