Getting Organized & Motivated a.k.a. Being lazy stops being worth it when you're an adult.

En Sabah Nur

So, I'm tired of being a broke nigga with a shitty job and a seemingly useless degree. (Sociology B.A. and working with teenagers, FYI. http://specialed.gangme

bers.net )

Any of you who aren't 14 years old have any tips on trying to be professional about shit? What do you do to get yourself off your ass?

Work ethic isn't the problem, I do my job... but I gotta learn how to turn ambition into a process. Upward mobility is a myth and I think since I was always the smart kid in school, I drank the fuckin kool-aid.

I talk a lot of shit about what I'm GONNA do, but I'm on the downhill slide to 30 and need to unclog these pipe dreams.

Yesterday I bought something like this:

21N8Y4StSeL.jpg

because I end up with my work papers and shit on the floor of my car... and to hold stuff like my resume for trying to get a better/second job.

I also just ordered business cards for DJing because I barely ever do gigs but keep buying records... might as well hustle & gotta stop spending money on stuff that don't make money.

I'm also in the market for a high end alarm clock because I have an irregular schedule and need something I can program ahead of time.

I also might do that 100 pushup thing if I can make myself write it down, and figure out a way to remind me to do it every day, heh.

shit-tyrone-get-it-together.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Getting Organized & Motivated a.k.a. Being lazy stops being worth it when you're an ad

most of the older heads in their 30's i know tend to get in a lil slump that all starts from being complacent with they're usual predictable lives. or they wind up getting stuck on a path they didn't ever wanna go down to begin with and then hate life. i'm trying to avoid that by having a shit ton of fun and keepin it moving. sounds like you got goals... pick the ones you want the most and go for it. if you fuck up atleast your not 40.

Re: Getting Organized & Motivated a.k.a. Being lazy stops being worth it when you're an ad

Milk that DJ thing to death.

Even if it doesn't get you much money (or none at all) having an available hobby as an outlet will help you blow off steam. Be it DJing, graffiti, taking surreptitious hair samples from cute girls on the subway, whatever you're into.

i'm pretty much in the same boat. for a while i was heavily putting my resume out and getting a lot of interviews, but my background held me back from any position that was worth half a damn. my job now is pretty decent but it is definitely not putting my master's degree to use and the pay is nowhere near what i should be earning. basically, if you have a clean record and a degree, just start applying and interviewing for jobs and eventually you'll find one you like better than where you're at.

You've basically described my situation. Working for others and them reaping the profits is not my plan. Implementing my ideas and putting them to work is what I need to focus on.

I have a pretty long rap sheet of bullshit including a felony for criminal defacement. The felony and most of the charges are able to be expunged but i need to get my loot up for that shit. I just found out I'll get a raise in January and i get my license back this summer so i should be headed in the right direction. I had a great job offer at a local drug rehab clinic six months ago but they couldn't hire me because I had been arrested within two years of what would be my hire date.

The master's is a double edged sword gas. Most companies don't want to pay you what you should be worth and know that if something better comes along you'll bounce. It'll help for sure if you have some good experience under your belt, but for the most part, it's hurt my chances of getting hired a couple times that I know of.

Yeah, I know people who have a masters and told me all it did was put them in debt.

I'd rather work with my hands to be honest.

I wish I would have realized that when I was in high school.

No shit. There is way too much pressure for high school grads to go to college. Not everyone should and I for one want to go back in time and become an electrician. Guess it's never too late though.

En Sabah Nur, why don't you look for jobs in other cities. A change of scenery could do the trick. It gets boring the same city after awhile, but I'm one to travel.

a lot of getting your shit together as an adult is realizing that you shouldn't be acting like a kid anymore

(and trying to live off of unemployment until the end of time)

once you get your head right the rest of the shit tends to follow.

spend less money on stupid shit. money management is important because you can become totally self-sufficient with income and savings.

so, don't buy dumb things that are worth anything in the long run and SAVE like crazy. if you can save money you will be in good shape. saving money means having all the power when you go to buy a car (because you can pay for it outright and don't need to finance, you can negotiate a great price)

you can buy a house/condo, that shit will make you feel like an adult instantly.

make your home the place you really want to hang out, then you will spend less money on going out and doing stupid shit that costs money

you can also work on stuff you like that is also lucrative (like dj'ing) at home and feel good about it.

you'll be able to buy shit you need, and shit you want, but think carefully about it before you splurge.

\

that shit is all about money, but it's a major part of being an adult and i think a lot of people don't have a handle on it (look at how our economy collapsed, that shit barely affected me)

the more you have, in terms of material and immaterial wealth, the more you want to have usually. so motivation almost follows naturally when you really start to care about making your life better.

i think having a nice home is important as well, then you aren't always out lookin for shit, to do, to buy, roaming around getting in trouble. it can also mean you have more time to devote to hobbies and enrichment. i read a lot too. that can be very inspiring.

most of being an adult is self-fulfilling. there is truth in visualizing your goals, meditating on the life you want to have. it makes the 'work' much easier.

unfortunately the hard part can be figuring out what you want. but once you know that, setting a clear path to achieve that goal is easy. that's why you see dumb people in important places and positions, they just followed all the right steps to get there. yes, part of success is luck and knowing the right people etc, but opportunity favors the prepared.

more school v less school is completely dependent on the profession.

in my field, they treat the phd's like shit until they get their post-doc finished, then the earning potential is unlimited.

but i have a BS and am on the same level or above many people with master's degrees. it means almost nothing.

I think the only thing keeping me from being more or less happy is indecision.

I read this corny shit a while ago, but it made sense.

It was some shit about should, could and must and how those words relate to goals.

Most people talk about goals in those phases and many rarely ever get past the could phase.

Even on simple shit like exercise.

The whole write-up was corny as hell, but it made a lot of sense if you look around and see your friends getting fat and staying at the same level of job for 10 years with nothing but a flat screen TV to show for it.

In response to the initial post it's as simple as having a clear goal and defining the steps you must take to get there.

What isn't simple about that is knowing if the goal is realistic and which steps will get you to it.

I can say for me, being over 30 now, it's the same no mater what age group or professional level you're at/in.

Some people are naturally more ambitious than others regardless of age, and some people just never feel complacent.

I felt myself stagnating in my last career once I made it as far as I did there was no room for advancement.

I was a technician that programmed and troubleshot life safety systems, because of my certifications and demands I made more money than my manager.

So did a lot of technicians since managers are fairly easy to replace in a field where technical ability and certification count for so much.

I devised a plan to become a web designer, first i learned as much as I could and began building sites on my own.

I took a few technical courses and gained the minimal ability to actually create a website.

Eventually I had the ability to live off of freelance work and my savings to take an internship in the industry.

Making connections and gaining experience made a huge difference and it eventually led to the position I'm in now.

The best advise I can give is have a clearly defined goal and make sure you have the basic steps need on the path to get there covered.

Then keep an open mind about said path as to not pass up any opportunities you may come across while still moving toward your goal.

What helped me was my social standing and having friends who could help make that transition easier and projecting my determination so they could see it.

In today's world a good resume and degree don't mean as much as they used to, I think the key is making connections and letting them know your goals.

Most industries even if their not technology based are still more volatile and evolving faster than in the past.

The only constant is the human factor, knowing the right people and projecting your own ambition/goals in a way they will take note of.

I talk a lot of shit about what I'm GONNA do, but I'm on the downhill slide to 30 and need to unclog these pipe dreams.

biggest issue i find for most people is talking too much bullshit.

if you're unhappy and something needs to be changed, sack up and change it. period.

take a read through the grown ass man thread, some good stories and words of advice in there.

i think being a punk rocker in high school and being all "fuck money! i don't need money to be happy!" was, uh, retarded. should have just gone into business or got a union job.

like daniel tosh said... "money doesn't buy happiness? do you live in america?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3z5EAykVE

i mentioned in another thread about post-grad stuff that i've been stuck at the same fork in the road, between moving back to samoa, which requires no further knowledge or experience and very little money vs. opening a non-profit youth center which requires enough money to convince a bank to give you a loan for something that won't actually make any money, and uh, knowledge of how to open a business in general.

my other goals float between "i want the whole world and my old girl back" and "i want half the world and fuck my old girl"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF1xaWuLO_I

Lots of people get in a rut a few years after college. It comes with the age. You can do what I did and decide to apply to med school with an undergrad degree in art and have to take every science and math class you said you'd never use again.

Set some goals and get the ball rolling towards achieving them before you start telling everyone your going to do them. Shit talking about what you are going to do somehow fools your mind that you have already achieved them.

backtostudyingforfinalsoner

also, i didn't necessarily mean for this to spiral into a goals/jobs/school/future thread... i really want to literally get organized.

the kids i work with have their own laundry days, phone call days, meal times, times they have to be in their room, they clean the whole dorm on saturdays and clean out their whole room on sundays... i need to get a regular schedule for general tasks. cooking, exercising, cleaning my room and my car, doing laundry, waxing my asshole, sewing buttons back on and otherwise fixing shit, deleting shitty music from my computer, checking the oil and such on my cars and washing them, taking time to read or finally watch my damn netflix movies...

never thought i'd say it, but i plan to get a regular monthly calendar and actually use it. so i can...

- keep track of pushups, situps, etc.

- maybe mark a week on the calendar every month to try not to eat meat/dairy/etc., not because i wanna be vegan because that's stupid and murder is delicious, but because i have high cholesterol (no i'm not obese, i just live in kansas city and will fuck up some barbecue) and cholesterol only exists in animal products.

- specify days i'm allowed to purchase certain items, oriented around my paydays. books, vinyl, clothes, maybe even restrict my liquor and restaurant purchases to specific days.

- doctor/dentist/hooker/chiropractor appointments and prescription refills, haircuts (i'm samoan, so i follow the tradition of growing my hair long, but my dad has a salon and gets on me about trimming it so it doesn't get all jungle nappy), and other things you're supposed to schedule but that are generally far enough in the future that you blow it off until you're overdue. btw, i need to start using the library instead of bookstores and get over owning shit, guess i could mark those due dates down too.

i need to clean out my closet and give/throw stuff away... i have clothes in here from a dozen years ago that i just forget about... and could somebody please tell me a non-bullshit way to hang ties? because i've tried a number of apparati and they always end up on the floor in the closet. braces and belts too.

do any of you have a set routine for your day/week/month?

do you have any organizational rituals that keep you on track and productive?

p.s. i moved back in with my mom before i went to samoa, so i could keep my stuff here (and because my ex started dating a hipster that lived down the block and that was fucked up), and i've been back about a year now and never moved out because we're broke and i find myself pooling money with her and my brother since she's in debt and he has fag school tuition. i mean art school. anyway, i've got my eye on a couple places to move, but my mother gives me the catholic guilt since we're just keeping our heads above water as is... and she's going to work in boston for 3 months soon anyway, so i guess i don't need to move out til that's over... uh, i don't know where i'm going with this except to say that i'm a loser and i need to get outta my momma house. it does not lure the tang.

shit, it sounds like you already know what you need to do, you just need to start doing it

all that stuff about scheduling and getting into a routine will help

it gets a little boring, but day in, day out, my life is pretty based in routine.

it gets nicely broken up when i go on vacation, but even the act of going is a part of the overall routine.

i'd say it works for me, i have managed to achieve what i set out to do and stay in shape and keep my dogs and family happy and provided for. i don't have organizational rituals. i also became vegetarian about 16 years ago and never went back, stopped eating fast food in 04 and recently stopped eating seafood. i don't drink anymore either. but i never go to the doctor or dentist. i cut my own hair and nails.

i had methods for studying that were really intensely focused when i was in school but nothing like that now. i do tend to clean the house on saturday morning though. it varies, but i try to also throw in more major duties when i can. i do keep a calendar though. planners are very helpful. or use your phone for that.

some of that stuff you mentioned i need to do myself, like cleaning out the wardrobe. i have become one of those sad grownups that has 'clothes older than you'

oh yeah, you can get tie/belt hangers.

Tie_Hanger.jpg

i've tried a bunch of shit like that, they're all for the birds.

but yeah, it's more that i'm declaring that this is my new plan, i guess right in time for new year's resolution... just putting out my feelers for protips, if you will (yeshomo).

ical - i never miss meetings now and the too do list motivates me more.

Not to mention having it set off alarms on you phone & syncing my office/home/mobile.

ical.jpg

anxiety.png

icalcoverflow.jpg

I'm actually disappointed if I accomplish something major and can't check it off my to do list now.

Most of my to do list revolves around non work related professional shit, calender keeps me on point at work.