275 pound black guy:1 , 100 pound female officer: 0

screaming hand logo

SANTA CRUZ - The inmate who wrestled away from a sheriff's deputy and stole her handgun during a hospital visit Monday likely planned his escape, Sheriff Phil Wowak said Tuesday.

In a news conference, Wowak offered chilling details of Monday's events and said he would initiate changes to the way deputies take inmates to the hospital.

Meanwhile, Maurice Lamont Ainsworth Jr., the 24-year-old Santa Cruz man who led 100 officers on a nearly five-hour manhunt, spent Monday and Tuesday in an undisclosed, locked medical facility. Deputies believe he ingested medications at one of the homes he broke into Monday. It's unclear if he was trying to commit suicide, Wowak said. He is expected to be returned to County Jail today.

"It is my belief that he probably planned this," Wowak said. "Obviously there needs to be changes if there's any way (inmates) can get away ... I want to do something that's very comprehensive," Wowak said.

Deputy Cathy Bramanti had taken the 6-foot-7, 275-pound Ainsworth to Dominican Hospital for an MRI on Monday morning. Ainsworth, who had complained of shoulder pain, was treated for it last week as well, authorities said. In fact, he'd been to numerous medical visits outside the jail without incident, Wowak said.

"I don't want to say we were lulled into a false sense of security," Wowak said, but he believes Ainsworth invented the shoulder injury to get out of jail, knowing he would be unshackled during the MRI. Nothing metal is allowed inside the giant magnetic machine.

As Ainsworth got out of the machine and Bramanti attempted to reschackle him, Ainsworth landed his first blow, an elbow to the side of Bramanti's head. He repeated it multiple times, Wowak said.

Bramanti fought back. Ainsworth bit her hand, clamping down on her index finger. He ran. She chased him and "got hands on him" outside the hospital and was trying to tase him when the second fight ensued, the sheriff repeated as he'd done so many times in the 24 hours since the harrowing ordeal.

"She just didn't give up," Wowak said praising Bramanti.

But Ainsworth "overpowered her and took the Taser." He landed two hits with the stun gun, to her ear and neck. He grabbed her .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun, ammunition and ran.

A woman in the hospital chased Ainsworth outside. Ainsworth fired at her, missing by 2 feet, Wowak said. He fled, Taser and gun in hand, running across the street to a preschool.

Bramanti was released from the hospital late Monday afternoon. Wowak described her as "very athletic" and said he wouldn't have fared as well as she did under such circumstances. He also defended her decision to draw her Taser instead of her gun.

"She did nothing wrong in my opinion based on what I know today she should be commended for her courageous and tenacious fight to keep him in custody," Wowak said.

As for the whether Bramanti should have had backup during the transport, Wowak said they will re-evaluate.

Jeff Marsh, chief deputy of the County Jail, said there are roughly 500 inmates in custody at the jail with four officers rotating on the transport detail. Typically, one deputy accompanies one inmate.

Inmates' off-site visits to hospitals are common - perhaps twice a week - and the agency can double up deputies to guard an inmate if he shows signs of aggression or a propensity to escape.

"We had no reason to believe he posed more risk than other inmates," Marsh said.

While Dominican Hospital officials have not requested specific changes to the way the county handles the inmates it brings into the facility, President Nan Mickiewicz said "We will be meeting with the sheriff's office and others to share ideas on how to best handle inmates who become patients.

"We will continue to place our trust with local law enforcement agencies to decide what is needed in those situations to provide a safe environment for our patients, visitors and staff," Mickiewicz said.

District Attorney Bob Lee said formal charges have not been determined but Ainsworth is facing a life sentence if convicted. He's already facing a life sentence for kidnapping and robbery charges stemming from a 2009 Los Gatos case.

Wowak said Ainsworth is expected to be arraigned later this week on potential charges of attempted homicide relating to the woman he shot at as well as assaulting the deputy, escape, assaulting the teacher whose head he held a gun to at the preschool and burglary.

"It will be days before we know the complete story," Wowak said.

However, authorities did say they recovered the Taser and the firearm Monday, but not on Ainsworth's person. The inmate had ditched them before his arrest.

County Supervisor Neal Coonerty said he had not received calls about constituents worried about their safety. However, he indicated that he trusted the sheriff's office to make some positive changes.

"We have a lot of confidence sheriff Wowak will take a look at this and learn from it," Coonerty said

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: 275 pound black guy 1 100 pound femal officer 0

It took a hundred cops FIVE HOURS to find a 275 lb dude hiding in a medical facility? What the fuck esse?

God damn, you are one stupid mother fucker.

Clearly this was a set up where the FBI provided him a taser and a map of the area.

:lol::lol::lol:

Re: 275 pound black guy: 1, 100 pound femal officer: 0

cops never do anything good, but i compliment that female cop for not shooting at him and trying to tase him instead. maybe if we had more female cops less people would get shot. dunno. but dayum that's surprising.

they are always bringin inmates to the hospital adjacent to the university.

they are always heavily guarded.

ain't no false sense of security around here.

a buncha cops tried waking up a buddy of mine who was blacked out on the back patio after closing. we told them to be easy and leave him alone, we'll take care of dude. they didn't listen. after a few failed attempts they finally woke him up. he swung immediately, cracking the one on the side of his jaw and caught the other square in the nose. he bled, then the third pig came out with the taser. all she wrote. these assholes tased my dude from multiple angles, and down he went, big guy too, bout 250. all i could do was laugh. but thats what you get for fuckin wit da po-lice.

cool st0ry br0?

brett-gets-tased-o.gif

i compliment that female cop for not shooting at him and trying to tase him instead.

I'm with you 100 percent here.

maybe if we had more female cops less people would get shot.

This on the other hand...not sure...many female cops I've dealt with have been like short/overweight male cops, in other words overly rude and aggressive because they feel as though they have something to prove.

I'm with you 100 percent here.

This on the other hand...not sure...many female cops I've dealt with have been like short/overweight male cops, in other words overly rude and aggressive because they feel as though they have something to prove.

word, it goes both ways.. nice ladies, and bitches wit sumpin to prooove

/stillhatesthepolicepassionately

WIN FREE MONTHS OF 12OZ. VIP

SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS!!!!!

This contest will run all week until Friday - December 10, 2010 .. 6 p.m. EST

Click any Heineken Ad through out the site, once your are on the Heineken Holiday Capsule site find the link that reads Enter To Win.*** Fill out the page with your information and send a screen grab of the page that appears after submitting.*** This contest will not only get you a FREE MONTH OF VIP and the possibility of winning more prizes for entering to win.. It's that simple...

Send me your screen grabs via Private message, we will update your account nightly. Please make sure you submit correctly, we will not reply back to submissions that are wrong.

Enjoy…

This contest will run all week until Friday - December 10, 2010 .. 6 p.m. EST

SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS!!!!!!

WIN FREE MONTHS OF 12OZ. VIP STATUS

Re: 275 pound black guy:1 , 100 pound femal officer: 0

woke up this morning and also read it as 1,100 lb officer. now i get it.

the chick should've just shot the motherfucker. who gives a fuck about a scumfuck anyway? now he's just another dude that'll be doing life in prison when he should just be dead. you guys sound like a bunch of hippies, "i commend her for trying to use her tazer." WHY?! grow some nuts, quit sympathizing with scumbags