N Korea/S Korea may be going to war

lord_casek

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real question is would China actually risk getting stomped out over an annoying neighbor like North Korea.

My guess is no, they might help them but there is no way they would directly engage the US in war.

Their military is no where near as ready as ours is for a large scale conventional or nuclear war, at least last time I checked out the stats.

They have impressive numbers of reserve troops, which at best would make it last longer than Iraq.

The equipment they have at their disposal isn't on our level, nor are their soldiers in general.

We would crush their military, not saying it would be easy, just saying it would happen if they did make that mistake.

I don't think they'd have a choice, to be honest. They cannot afford to have the DPRK crushed by US, ROK, Japan, etc. and end up with the US on their northern border super close to Beijing and the coastal plain (or a decade long insurgency war like we see in Afghanistan and Iraq). They've already had the Japanese, Manchurians and the Mongols sweep down from the north, they're very protective of the approach to Beijing and that's why the Shenyang military district has the largest amount of troops and mobility in all of China.

I think if there was a war it would resemble the first Korean war. DPRK and Chinese troops with Chinese and Russian kit.

It really is a precarious position, so many interests with the last 60 years of preparation for another war (Pyang has done a good job at keeping everyone on tenterhooks since '53). Makes any following war a very volatile situation. Russia is also expanding eastward right now: ESPO gas/oil, expansion of Pacific fleet in Kamchatka, Iskanders in Vladivostok, etc. They don't particularly want the US foot-print expanding there right now either.

Take away the economic and social ideologies and the situation in Eurasia is VERY Cold War-esque right now. The US would come out victorious in my opinion as well but I think the cost of that conflict would be so high as to make it prohibitive.

Personally, I think if China thought that it was actually about to happen they would pre-empt everyone, roll in to Pyang, take it, hold it, install Kim Jong-nam and open the economy releasing the pressure and foregoing a US friendly govt.

It's not the military---It's the money, where would we even fund a full scale war like a China/N.K war?

our taxes........... ora re you gonna say thats a conspiracy too......

It's both military and money. Don't forget that the global economy is still quite fragile right now and there are a number of large deployments already underway and that limits what the US has available to deploy elsewhere. There also has to be enough to defend the homeland and service other more minor deployments such as Philippines, LATAM, etc. etc. Even if conscription came in it takes months just to put the procedures in place let alone recruit and train (which also demands large amount of staff to carry out). Logistics are the thing that most neglect when talking deployments. You've got to have an army of drivers, pilots, engineers, cooks, medics, seamen, meteorologists, dentists, etc, etc. for every deployment. Massively expensive.

Then you have to fund the increased manufacturing of everything from uniforms to rifles to toilet paper before you even pay the servicemen. Taxes are used for that but you require spending to create taxes and with the global econ as fragile as it is a shock can slow things down immensely. Wars can increase spending but it can also kill it. Raising capital is not an unfailing constant when it comes to conflict, it has crippled more economies than it has boosted.

Think of the hit to the US economy if two super-carriers fell victim to DF21As in 3 months. We're talking trillions in overall costs within 2 years there. hard to bounce back from that by just making helicopters and tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

ive said it before and i'll say it again... NOTHING is gonna happen. north korea is all bark no bite. so too is the south. a war between the two would be absolutely devastating to both sides. civilian casualties would be extreamly high.

the north wont go to war because straight up it would be the end of the regime. no doubt about it. sure the US/ROK would lose tens of thousands of soldiers in the process but in the end the north would lose. they are simply out classed in every sense of the word. the north has absolutely NO navy/air force. they would suffer non-stop from us air/cruise missile strikes and would have all command and control centers knocked out with in the first 48 hours. sure the north has a very elaborate system of traps and such that would bog down any us/rok invasion force but in time the us/rok would be all the way up to the yalu river. i wouldnt be suprised if a long standing guerilla campaign began after that only leading to more us/rok casualties as well as low public moral for the war in the US.

the south wont go to war (IMO) simply because of how disastrous it would be. the south would lose a ton of people and mostlikely its major cities near the borders would be left in ruin. completely crippling their economy. i really think the south is really banking on some sort of collapse of the government in the north and that the two will be reunified then.

lets not forget too that china did back up the north in the korean war. and suffered huge losses in doing so. hundreds of thousands of men. would they be likely to do it again? perhaps. the last thing china wants is an enemy at its borders. its bad enough that they have to deal with major us allies the rok, japan, taiwan (as well as the major us base on okinawa) right at the border.

it is of my belief that the north could pull of another 4-5 of these types of things and still get away with it scott-free. its the media thats completely hyping this thing up. fire-fights along the dmz are a common occurance and its well known that the north loves to stay in the newspaper. its also well known that the rok doesnt have the balls to really punish the north for anything. the north is well aware of this and thats exactly why things like this have been taking place. if the US wasnt completely tied down in iraq and afghanistan though it might be a different story.

btw. just like iraq with its huge stockpiles of chemical weapons. the north wouldnt EVER have the balls to use such force. a war between the two koreas would simply be conventional.

just my little stoney rant. feel free to disagree with anything ive said.

I pretty much agree, especially about the nuclear part. but I think you slightly ignore the possibility of unconsidered escalation, human error and miscommunication. No orders of official mobilization is needed to sour things up if forces on the border lose their nerves, get faulty orders, start the crisis protocol or what not. Such a mess could take several days to calm down. To my knowledge the recent artillery strike had a several hour aftermath of people not really knowing what was going on. The fact that "no one" died just made it really easy to ignore and slide back to normal status.

Imagine such an artillery strike [accidentally] hitting a kindergarten or marketplace, and maybe one person taking pictures. Even if everyone and their dogs were against the war, something like that would have more than diplomatic consequences.

Like I said, I don't think NK will ever attempt to conquer anything geographically. I only acknowledge the possibility of sthn stupid happening. Current type of provocation might get more frequent and grow into low scale border conflict enough to be considered a new "war".

Lot of speculation here, but that's what crossed my mind recently.