I desire to acquire another tongue...

ShortFuse

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

virgins vs. $$$... not sure, but the chicks you get for flashing money probably won't be virgins.

i always wanted to learn mandarin because it's pleasant to the ear and the most spoken language on earth.

i took spanish in high school. useful in america, but i'm forgetting it fast. i was trying to teach myself samoan for a long time, and learned a little when i lived there, but i'm getting rusty already. i don't think they'll ever make rosetta stone for samoan.

learning arabic w/ rosetta stone would be impossibly difficult.

i've used the arabic program as extra to my studies and it was often confusing due to arabic grammar, there are much better methods for arabic than rosetta stone.

i fucked around w/ rosetta stone spanish and french and they both seemed more fitting and functional.

i got family in the military who have access to it and say its a pretty decent program.it uses pics and shit which i guess is a better way of learning to speak a language than some kind of manual. its more natural in that way. personally i want to learn spanish and then maybe korean or japanese.ive always wanted to visit seoul or japan.

always good to expand your knowledge.

learning arabic w/ rosetta stone would be impossibly difficult.

i've used the arabic program as extra to my studies and it was often confusing due to arabic grammar, there are much better methods for arabic than rosetta stone.

i fucked around w/ rosetta stone spanish and french and they both seemed more fitting and functional.

learning arabic would be impossibly difficult no matter how you tried to learn it haha.from what i remember when trying to learn it was that everything had a male and a female way of saying it or something along those lines and in some cases it changed up the whole word.the only thing i got for my efforts was how to say wheres the bathroom.weyn al hamaan? ...thats it.

the main thing, no matter the method, is practice and repetition. period. i have a couple thousand flashcards of arabic words that i would flip through on a regular basis, from simple words to bizarre/advanced words, that was really helpful for me. and then just forcing yourself to use it with anyone who is willing to speak with you.

i've used it in the past. i didn't find it so helpful for learning a lot of vocabulary, but i did find it helpful in terms of refreshing my memory, with like the syntax and whatnot. i find that its good at re-orienting your brain into another language.

if you combine it with reading a newspaper/news website in the language you want, youll get the added bonus of learning new vocabulary as well.

what language you want to learn? the next language iwant is either french or portuguese, im about 75 percent fluent in spanish

Also, resign yourself to the fact that you will never be at the level of a native speaker if you didn't grow up speaking the shit or are over the age of like 8 and just taking up a new language.

There's a huge difference between the guy who is 99% fluent and the guy who is 95% fluent, but at that point, is it even worth it to try and spend extra years of your life perfecting something that is always changing with the times?

if gender differences confused you, you didn't get very far into arabic grammar at all... shit is insane.

but the grammar is why arabic doesn't work w/ the picture method of rosetta stone.

yeah,i just got one of those books on tape from the library.nothin crazy.just something i was interested in back then.

the main thing, no matter the method, is practice and repetition. period. i have a couple thousand flashcards of arabic words that i would flip through on a regular basis, from simple words to bizarre/advanced words, that was really helpful for me. and then just forcing yourself to use it with anyone who is willing to speak with you.

yeah the grammar part of Arabic is fairly straight forward, hardest part for me is learning new vocabulary.

that was the one down side I heard about when it comes to Rosetta Stone. That it will attach a plain word for the term "girl" to a picture of an obvious girl. Yet like all languages there a many terms for one description and its a down side to the program. No matter what you have to start somewhere...

I took 5 years of spanish in school then got a job

working with a bunch of mexicans that couldnt

speak english. It took a year and a half of speaking

every day for 8 hours before i spoke and understood

well. And now I probably forgot it all again.