Photo Portfolio Critique Thread.

MayorMeanBeans

da1lyoperations - I like the dark b&w look. The shots you've posted so far are nice, I'm always into a day in the life kind of feel since the days in pies thread got me taking photos more. Only criticism would be the same thing other people have said, just that the post was a bit limited. Post up more at some point maybe.

ohmygosh - Some really nice scenes. I especially like the mannequin in the old wheel chair looking thing and the grimey window looking out to overgrown vegetation. What's the story behind them, the mannequin in particular? I don't know if it's just me but I'm not a fan of shots that are cropped to odd dimensions. That would be my only major criticism and it might just be a personal thing. It just always makes me think about what's been cut out and why not just compose it differently while taking the photo initially.

Oh yeh what's the craic with the little kid with the peace sign also?

mn - dope shots as per. The last one of the wedding is pretty epic. I really like how you've got your own personality in your photos, I don't know what it is exactly but it's definitely there. I'd like to see a bigger post of your street stuff at some point, you must have a pretty big collection stacking up.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the picture of the little kid holding the sign at some big peace demonstration in New York City, probably about 6 years ago. I believe it was either the 2yr anniversary of sending our troops to Iraq or at the republican national convention. This kids mother was standing just to the left of him. I never got a flick of the 2 of them. At the time...i was so excited to take this one though. It seemed perfect for what was going on there. I remember when I took it, there was another photographer next to me shooting at the same thing (at least in the same direction). I would be interesting to see what his flicks turned out like. This is the only picture I still have from that day. I dont know what happened to the rest.

If you havent yet...i strongly suggest going to any kind of large demonstration such as this. Some of the characters there are priceless.

The picture of the old wheelchair was taken at an abandoned mental asylum/state hospital in Massachusetts. The majority of the buildings had been torn down or changed into apartments. We had explored 2 or 3 other small buildings in the same area, that did not turn out to be very exciting. This was our last stop before leaving. It turned out to be a goldmine. Tons of random shit.There were 2 rooms packed with what seemed like all the junk and old things from all of the other buildings. There was a cremation vault. Old machinery and switches. Random blueprints and documents. Really fucking cool. The lighting was perfect is some spots..but a tad too dark in others. I didnt have a tripod with me, so I had to improvise, using the objects around me. Fun day overall. Check the links below.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3131-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3106.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3128-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3134-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3137-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3143.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3145.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3149.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3154.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3159-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3163.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r160/dsoneds/101_3164.jpg

Other randoms from the same spot.

The window silhouette picture..was at some other abandoned place. An old warehouse or something. I like this picture more than alot of mine. Really neat area..overgrown and mostly forgotten about. Partially turned into studios and art spaces now. We knew that at least 2 of the buildings were no longer in use..and we spent a while looking for a way in, only to find a tiny window halfway boarded up. Being ill prepared with no tools, we decided to leave for the day and come back another time. Before finally heading out, we decided to check the front door. Hahaha. Completely unlocked. The first building was dimly lit and pretty empty, aside from an old elevator shaft..the ceiling had partially caved in also. It lead to a creepy hallway with a hole in the wall which emptied out into a courtyard..complete with roof access. The hallway lead to a fire door..which was locked. We left for the day because it was beginning to get dark.

About a week later, I came back with my tripod, and was able to get into the other building behind the locked fire door. It was some sort of old shipping factory. There were a few old boxes of vials that looked liked they had fallen off of a forklift. Stuff shattered everywhere (the picture of orange test tube looking things I posted before). The ceiling had collapsed here also, and as the wind blew, the remaining pieces swayed. I didnt hang out here for long.

OMG: I think you posted a lot of really strong images. To be honest, I like all of them other than the last. It seems slightly out of focus, and I think it would have been framed better without the little bit of the trash can in the bottom right corner. That being said, the firefighter picture is a great editorial type shot, as is the little kid holding the peace sign. The silhouetting of those boats is great. You achieved great tonal range and texture on both the vehicle with the cracked window and the wheelchair. Did you use an off camera flash or any sort of lighting for the wheelchair? Overall, I think it is a strong and varied showing of your work. And I can tell that your main style is everyday things that you see that you're able to frame and compose very well.

MN1: I've obviously become very familiar with both your work and your style of shooting through the course of this semester. I'm happy that I've only seen two of the photos that you posted before. I really like the cubs buttons photo. I like the fairly shallow depth of field and the leading lines of the lanyard. I like the quinceanera, I'm assuming that's what it's from, photo a whole lot. The sky looks very foreboding, and the combination of the large cross and her dress add a very ominous feel to it. I like the motorcycle, but I wish that he wasn't directly in the center of the image. I know that it was just something you were able to snap off from the sidewalk, but I'm just saying. The picture of the L has real good balance and use of negative space in the sky. I like the rhythm of the brown roof/black roof/brown roof/black roof, and I immediately think of the North/Northwest side (am I correct about that?). Overall a great showing, I know how busy you are so putting ten cohesive images together was a bit of a stretch. I kind of wish you had a couple more of your candid stuff, because you have a lot of really solid images in that style, especially the one of the face partially covered by the composition notebook.

OMG: I think you posted a lot of really strong images. To be honest, I like all of them other than the last. It seems slightly out of focus, and I think it would have been framed better without the little bit of the trash can in the bottom right corner. That being said, the firefighter picture is a great editorial type shot, as is the little kid holding the peace sign. The silhouetting of those boats is great. You achieved great tonal range and texture on both the vehicle with the cracked window and the wheelchair. Did you use an off camera flash or any sort of lighting for the wheelchair? Overall, I think it is a strong and varied showing of your work. And I can tell that your main style is everyday things that you see that you're able to frame and compose very well.

Thanks man! The flash on my camera is broken..and i do not own any other kind of flash. I am unable to afford one. I lucked out with that wheelchair picture. There was either a window or a hole in the ceiling, in just the right place to create that. I used nothing more than my camera.

I appreciate the critiques. Now that you said that about that last picture, all I can see is that fucking trashcan. Haha. That is a very old picture of mine. I took it at sunrise, and i did not have a tripod with me. That was the sharpest one of the bunch, but it does have some hand tremble.

..again man. Thank you..the feedback is apprecated.

+2cents

A portfolio should have a continuous style to it that gives a viewer an impression of individuality and a defined style.

Not saying that it should have the exact same subject matter, or showing range isn't a good thing.

I'm just saying if I were looking at one that didn't have an overall style to it I wouldn't remember it.

When we go through design portfolios at work we almost instantly drop candidates who don't have a solid continuous style.

We narrow it down to the strongest overall impressions and interview or look further into those candidates.

If it's not a defined style it's hard to judge if all the work is actually theirs at all or stolen,

or if the varying qualities you like are coming from different art/creative directors they've worked under.

Just like almost anyone can design a technically acceptable website, almost anyone can shoot a photo,

you have to show your individual take on with range to leave an lasting impression.

It also doesn't leave an impression overall if you may like one of the shots but the rest are "meh"

There isn't anything wrong with being different and having your own style, especially in photography, it's an asset.

You have to keep in mind what the viewer might be thinking when looking at it and if they'll even remember it.

Also, that photo of the dog isn't something that most people will like, even if they're animal lovers.

If you're going to have a photo of something like pet, it better be super rad and appealing to more than just yourself.

That shot lust looks unplanned or thought out, and might be good on facebook where other people who know the pet might view it.

Not saying it's a bad photo, it's just anyone could take a shot like that, it's not showing any of your talent/skills.

No hate at all, just adding two cents.

Thought I'd just jump in here, don't know if there's any sort of list being followed anymore but it seemed like no one had posted for a while. I'm still just taking pictures and trying to learn the basics really so these shots don't make up a completely coherent portfolio, they're more just a selection that I like and I thought would sit fairly well together.

I want to start pushing it a bit more now though. I've got quite a few rough ideas for projects, I just need to get round to following them through haha.

5227249390_fcbfb20f89_z.jpg

5235557173_52d321e5f1_z.jpg

5198472855_392b527a38_z.jpg

5198473447_b41af9483d_z.jpg

4977433106_9b614e8443_z.jpg

5179013899_5ac43abc56_z.jpg

5179015367_46ea7f9a98_z.jpg

5179614622_579592730a_z.jpg

5179016457_38b66c1b35_z.jpg

5179946458_283cc26507_z.jpg

5179597328_7eeb1eb057_z.jpg

5185240460_52931f50ce_z.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
no personally i think painting shots are pretty boring actually haha. Henri Cartier-Bresson oftened covered 'official' planned events. But never took pictures of the actual parade, performance, etc. Instead he only took pictures of the audience, their faces told the story. You can do the same. If someone is painting, try photographing the look out. You have plenty of pictures of abandoned places, but no pictures of how you got in/people getting in. Assuming that you're painting more than freights, there is a lot that goes into a late night bombing mission. You can tell this story without a single shot of someone actually painting -

Late night grub

Look-outs

Waiting for the coast to be clear

driving

paint on hands

smoking a cigarette after

dawn rising

meeting random fools in the night

conveying that feeling that you're kind of on your own when you break the law at 4 am.

I support this fully. i urge shutterbugs to catch "candids". i'd much rather see a writer walking up to a wall than what he left on it or see the people waiting for the band to play as opposed to the band itself.

• 10 months later...