Stop Internet Censorship: COICA/SOPA et al

!@#$%

well, i always knew the wild west days of the internet would end eventually. any place where you can have a random chat with a penis or upload your ex-girlfriend's boobs was bound to get censored eventually. now there is actual legislation in place, and no one seems to care.

i wonder what could happen if this passed, if 12oz for example, is such a threat to nat'l security it might get taken down forever. seems paranoid but i wont put much past authority.

http://demandprogress.org/blacklist/

What bill are we talking about?

It's S. 3804, the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA), introduced by Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT). It's currently being considered by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

What exactly does it do?

The bill creates two blacklists of Internet domain names. The first can be added to by a court, the second by the Attorney General. Internet service providers (everyone from Comcast to PayPal to Google AdSense) would be required to block any domains on the first list. They would also receive immunity (and presumably the government's gratitude) for blocking domains on the second list.

What kind of domains can go on the list?

The list is for domains "dedicated to infringing activity," which is defined very broadly — any site where counterfeit goods or copyrighted material are "central to the activity of the Internet site" would be blocked.

What's so bad about that?

Well, it means sites like YouTube could get censored in the US. Copyright holders like Viacom argue that copyrighted material is central to activity of YouTube. But under current US law, YouTube is perfectly legal as long as they take down copyrighted material when they're informed about it -- which is why Viacom lost their case in court. If this bill passes, Viacom doesn't even need to prove YouTube is doing anything illegal -- as long as they can persuade a court that enough other people are using it for copyright infringement, that's enough to get the whole site censored.

And even without a court order, sites can get blacklisted just by order of the Attorney General -- and the bill encourages ISPs to block those sites as well. ISPs have plenty of reason to obey a government blacklist even when they're not legally required.

so beyond signing the petition, take 2 minutes out of your hectic day and look up your state senators. they pretty much all have websites now, with 'contact' links where you can pound out an email about this crap. i don't expect much response on here but i will give it a go.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Stop Internet Censorship: COICA bill under consideration

Orrin Hatch contact form

http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Offices.Home

Patrick Leahy contact form

http://leahy.senate.gov/contact/

damn that leahy. he should be more fucking progressive than this. horrendous disappointment.

i sent him an email. it wasn't laced with expletives so hopefully the govt won't raid my house.

it doesnt let non us citezens vote which i think is fucking rediculous as it effects more than just the fuckin yanks.

fuck you onigera.

I actually agree with armand for once haha.

seriously though, the whole world is gonna get fucked based on the fact that the American government is seriously flawed, paranoid and very non-trusting of it's citizens.

I actually agree with armand for once haha.

seriously though, the whole world is gonna get fucked based on the fact that the American government is seriously flawed, paranoid and very non-trusting of it's citizens.

Seems awkward coming from someone who lives in the most surveilled country in the world...

thats true but i think both america and the uk are fucked the governments are free to do what they want and the public just doesnt care to say shit..like i previously said:make better music and film and the public may start buying you're shit..not me but people would appreciate it.

and don't forget the fact that lots of people in this country are too apathetic.

consumers by and large, still hold all the cards. but consumers have become uninformed and greedy.

Well, the consumer is also by and large narrow sighted and self serving.

We lower prices.

Who cares how we get them.

Oh shit, we have no more jobs to buy the cheaper products we demanded.

this. plus music, movies, programs....all that good illegal shit. torrents were a god send but they'll be gone just as quick

Oh shit, I didn't think of that. So down with Megadownload and Rapidshare? WOW. The internet is going to suck worse then mainstream rap from the 90's to present time!

How horrible you pay for anything at all...?

I mean if you made, produced or played anything at all.. You would give it away for free right?

I don't want the government all over our privacy, but a lot of our behavior brought this shit down in the first place.

But yeah, send the negs cuz I know how much you hate being part of a consumer society you hard core fucks.

Seems awkward coming from someone who lives in the most surveilled country in the world...

true...but at least we riot when we are pushed too far.

but that means there is less cctv in YOUR country and YOU LOT are still doing fuck all about it...

i still pay for some of my media.

and while it may not be relevant, i'm out there working to contribute as well. people take pics of my shit all the time, i do public art! haha you'll never see me trying to copyright my panels.

seriously, as much as musicians make from touring what does it matter? that's where they always made their money anyway, since the labels take the vast majority of profit from CD sales. and studios clearly still fill theaters and make reams of cash on their films.

pretty much what i was thinking these people still make cash no matter what..i mean sites where you can stream tv shows are brilliant not only for the fact that if you missed an episode you can catch up with out worrying but if you're not in america for some reason you dont get to see 90% of the tv shows aired there till a year later..trust me we just got dexter season 4 a few weeks ago. i had to watch online and keep up with you're side as im doing now.this applies like i said to pretty much every show aired here.

so thats why these streaming sites help and i mean lets face it more than enough people pay for cable,satelite and digital tv a few thousand people watching it on the net is'nt going to bring numbers down that drasticly i mean no show makes super bowl numbers so they can hope for maby what 8-9 million for a premiere and an increase or decrease is garunteed.

im just saying it's just helpfull to a lot of people.

as for music id like to pay for the music i listen to as i feel the people i listen actually have put in the time, effort and enough of thier own money to deserve it, im just not exactly capable of spending money like its going out of style..i do how ever purchase an album every now and then,this will probably change as i get older.so i download most music and film from demonoid or other file sharing..which is just that ,SHARING. its free if anything it costs the website money for us to use them .

the problem here is once again greed not morals or anything like that just plain old human greed,if theres no profit its not worth shit simple as.it will never go away,these file sharing websites i personally think show that deep down society can exist on a trade scheme with out the use of currency and the eventuall greed,debt and more debt that comes from it.

im rambling here so ill cut it there what ever goodbye internet..i know you're not private but god damn it was fun while it lasted..

rest in peace my niguh.

well, i always knew the wild west days of the internet would end eventually. any place where you can have a random chat with a penis or upload your ex-girlfriend's boobs was bound to get censored eventually. now there is actual legislation in place, and no one seems to care.

i wonder what could happen if this passed, if 12oz for example, is such a threat to nat'l security it might get taken down forever. seems paranoid but i wont put much past authority.

http://demandprogress.org/blacklist/

What bill are we talking about?

It's S. 3804, the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA), introduced by Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT). It's currently being considered by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

What exactly does it do?

The bill creates two blacklists of Internet domain names. The first can be added to by a court, the second by the Attorney General. Internet service providers (everyone from Comcast to PayPal to Google AdSense) would be required to block any domains on the first list. They would also receive immunity (and presumably the government's gratitude) for blocking domains on the second list.

What kind of domains can go on the list?

The list is for domains "dedicated to infringing activity," which is defined very broadly — any site where counterfeit goods or copyrighted material are "central to the activity of the Internet site" would be blocked.

What's so bad about that?

Well, it means sites like YouTube could get censored in the US. Copyright holders like Viacom argue that copyrighted material is central to activity of YouTube. But under current US law, YouTube is perfectly legal as long as they take down copyrighted material when they're informed about it -- which is why Viacom lost their case in court. If this bill passes, Viacom doesn't even need to prove YouTube is doing anything illegal -- as long as they can persuade a court that enough other people are using it for copyright infringement, that's enough to get the whole site censored.

And even without a court order, sites can get blacklisted just by order of the Attorney General -- and the bill encourages ISPs to block those sites as well. ISPs have plenty of reason to obey a government blacklist even when they're not legally required.

so beyond signing the petition, take 2 minutes out of your hectic day and look up your state senators. they pretty much all have websites now, with 'contact' links where you can pound out an email about this crap. i don't expect much response on here but i will give it a go.

Aren't you usually the 12oz Tipper Gore who bans people for posting tits anyways?

I mean good looks for seeing the light and all, but just saying though.

And signed.

• Like 1