Gold and Silver

eattingsnowflakes

Just wondering what anyone thinks about Gold and Silver. (I didn't find another thread for it)

This week they hit high prices.

How do you feel about them as an investment?

How high will they go?

Do you have any?

au75-pres.gif

ag85-pres.gif

http://www.youtube.com/user/SilverGoldCoins?feature=pyv&ad=4960291907&kw=silver#p/u/0/Mc4ra8yvBmU

Discuss

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold is at record highs, and silver is hovering around a 30-year high.

Gold will still be the most popular hedge against the dollar. Especially with fears about a fall back to recession still lurking.

Silver is a cheaper alternative. It's more volatile, but it will probably continue to outperform gold in the short term.

Note, that silver also has greater industrial uses as opposed to gold, so it's exposed to supply/demand issues (think electronics, medical equipment, etc.).

I don't have either, probably should.....maybe silver ETFs or some shit.

• 4 weeks later...

(Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase & Co and HSBC Holdings Plc were hit with two lawsuits on Wednesday by investors who accused them of conspiring to drive down silver prices, and reaping an estimated hundreds of millions of dollars of illegal profits.

The banks, among the world's largest, were accused of manipulating the market for COMEX silver futures and options contracts from the first half of 2008 by amassing huge "short" positions in silver futures contracts that are designed to profit when prices fall.

"Defendants reaped hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions of dollars in profits" from the conspiracy, one of the complaints said.

The respective plaintiffs, Brian Beatty and Peter Laskaris, each said they traded COMEX silver futures and options and contracts, and lost money because of the alleged market manipulation.

Beatty lives in Connecticut and Laskaris in New York, court records showed. The lawsuits seek class-action status, damages that may be tripled, and other remedies.

Spokeswomen for JPMorgan and HSBC did not immediately return calls seeking comment. Both are major participants in the silver market.

The lawsuits were filed one day after the Commodity Futures Trading Commission proposed regulations to give it greater power to thwart traders who try to manipulate prices.

CFTC Chairman Gary Gensler said the regulator was seeking power to police "fraud-based manipulation."

Commissioner Bart Chilton said there had been "fraudulent efforts to persuade and deviously control" silver prices.

The CFTC began probing allegations of silver price manipulation in September 2008. A CFTC spokesman said the agency does not comment on ongoing investigations.

Only once in its 36-year history has the CFTC successfully concluded a manipulation prosecution, in a 1998 proceeding concerning prices for electricity futures.

Earlier this year, the CFTC began looking into allegations by a London trader that JPMorgan was involved in manipulative silver trading, The Wall Street Journal said on Wednesday, citing a person close to the situation.

Silver prices have faced regulatory scrutiny in the past, perhaps most prominently after the Hunt brothers in Texas in 1980 attempted to corner the market, driving prices above $50 an ounce. The price later plunged.

Since the CFTC began its probe, spot silver prices have ranged between $8.42 and $24.90 an ounce, Reuters data show. They traded Wednesday at roughly $23.55. Silver futures prices are up 39.1 percent this year.

The cases are Beatty v. JPMorgan Chase & Co et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 10-08146, and Laskaris v. JPMorgan Chase & Co et al in the same court, No. 10-01857.

Today's prices at Vancouver Bullion & Currency Exchange

I wouldn't mind having a few oz of Gold right about now.

Item VBCE Buys at VBCE Sells at

1 OZ GOLD BAR 1357.00 1394.00

5 OZ GOLD BAR 6775.00 6945.00

10 OZ GOLD BAR 13540.00 13870.00

1 OZ GOLD MAPLE LEAF 1369.00 1427.00

1/2 OZ GOLD MAPLE LEAF 695.00 739.00

1/4 OZ GOLD MAPLE LEAF 351.00 376.00

1/10 OZ GOLD MAPLE LEAF 143.00 157.00

1/20 OZ GOLD MAPLE LEAF 72.00 92.00

1 OZ SILVER MAPLE LEAF 26.18 28.44

1 OZ SILVER MAPLE LEAF (50+ COINS) 26.18 27.88

1 OZ SILVER MAPLE LEAF (500+ COINS)26.18 27.78

1 OZ SILVER BAR / ROUND 24.92 26.92

10 OZ SILVER BAR 249.00 269.00

50 OZ SILVER BAR 1246.00 1311.00

100 OZ SILVER BAR 2492.00 2611.00

1 OZ PLATINUM BAR 1691.00 1791.00

1 OZ PLATINUM MAPLE LEAF 1762.00 1862.00

For larger quantities, please call our head office.

Gold is close to $1400 oz

Silver is close to $27 oz

i remember when we used to say that an ounce of dro costs more than an oz of gold.

ah the good ol days.

any conspiracy theories as towhy gold went up? here's mine:

they're building a spaceship made of solid gold to take the ruling elite to our new planet....2012...brett favres penis

/nh

gold, no matter what price will always be a better to hold than dollars. consider the dollar has lost over 96% of its purchasing power.

you dont own gold to make money, you own it to attempt to preserve what you have. the first gold i bought was at 600$ an ounce. for a couple years i heard my dad say i was stupid for selling other 'investments' to buy it. i gradually added more. the last kruggerand i got was when gold was at over 800$ an ounce. i can do nothing but smile now. as my fathers (and mine as well) stock investments are at year 2000 prices. for 10 years all i heard was how one needs to invest in stocks not metals. yet the stock market hasnt done anything in 10 years, and if you add in inflation you are down 20% from year 2000 prices. my father is now a gold bug.

silver is probably where its at for most people. i bought some gold just because i really wanted it. i probably should of bought a couple mint bags full of junk silver instead. i love junk silver. i wish i would of bought more of it than buying all those 1 ounce eagles.

dont sleep on ammunition either. even if you lose a little bit of money (highly unlikely) you can still shoot it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

a friend of mine gave me an ounce gold coin. i held on to it for a couple weeks until the price went up higher than it had and cashed it in. i look back and it was totally a bad idea, not only because i spent it all, but also because yes, its an investment. same dude gave me another for Christmas and i aint fucking with it this time. better stock up on gold before the chinese buy it all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How long before silver hits $50?

Silver prices neared 31-year highs on a brightening outlook for the global economy and as inflation concerns have revived.

Silver for February delivery rose 72.6 cents, or 2.3%, to settle at $32.2980 a troy ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. It was the metal's strongest close since March 1980.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...