would you pay to speed?

SukiSukiNow

I don't quite know what to make of this. I think it's pretty lame.

Speed limits are for making money off civilians and not for our safety?

(Pre)Pay-To-Speed: Nevada Candidate’s Proposal To Fill State Coffers

Would you pre-pay $25 in order to drive at ninety for twenty-four hours on Nevada’s highway’s? Nonpartisan Nevada gubernatorial candidate Eugene “Gino” DiSimone thinks so. According to his projections, his so called “free (fee?) limit plan” would generate $1.3 billion per year, helping solve Nevada’s budget crisis. The math seems a little sketchy, but here it is:

The cornerstone of his Nevada Three Step Recovery Plan (#2 is to deport all illegal aliens) is to get enrolled in the program, have a vehicle safety check, purchase a transponder, and pay for the privilege of speeding via your cell phone. And just how did Gino cpme up with that number? (from his website):

IT IS JUST THAT SIMPLE…The FREE LIMIT PLAN… Now for the math….

By questioning numerous NV Highway Patrol Officers, I asked this question:

Question:

If there was a law that allowed people to purchase the privilege to drive fast, say up to 90 mph for $25 a day, on any given day, what percentage of drivers would do it?

Answer:

About 30 – 40%

That is about 3 or 4 out of 10 drivers! WOW! However, let us be much more conservative and lower the estimate to 10% of the drivers. (Conversely that says 90% will not be interested.) Based on my lower estimate (1 out of 10), here is the math:

10% of 1.7 Million drivers = 170,000 drivers

On any given day, at 25$ this comes to: $25 times 170,000 = $4.25 Million per day

Assume only 6 days per week we get: $25.5 Million per week

Each year this comes to: $1.3 Billion per year!!!

Call me a skeptic, but I wonder…Nevada’s current limit is 75. If Nevada enforcement is like in the rest of the West, ten miles over the limit is the grace window, or 85. That’s five miles under ninety. Will there be a grace for that too? And how many cops are there on the mostly remote stretches of Nevada’s highways?

According to a Fox News story: “The Nevada Highway Patrol isn’t keen on the idea, saying it would lead to increased injuries and traffic deaths.”

Anyway, how about a graduated plan? $50 for one hundred mph? $75 for one-ten? How about a fee to just turn the clock back to 1973, when Nevada didn’t have a posted speed limit. How much would you pay for that?

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I dont think a lot of people have that kinda ching to be spending $25 A DAY to drive a little faster. And plus how could cops know who has a higher speed limit for the day? Stupid.

I think a way better idea would be to have a graduated drivers license. More thorough and expensive tests and training equals higher allowable speed limits. Maybe use different color license plates to indicate who has what class license.

In Germany it costs like 4x as much to get your license, they look at it as more of a privilege to drive, supposedly. And as a result people learn to stay the fuck outta the left lane. And they also have a lower rate of death per mile on the Autobahn.

Yeah it does seem like a solution to a problem that shouldnt fucking exist in the first place, but $25? Im all for it.

Two things tho. 1.) There's nothing in nevada. Freeways are straight for mile and miles and nothing is on either side of them to jump out and cause an accident. and 2.) As far as I've seen (which is limited to like four days in my entire life) people ususally drive 90 anyway in NV.

They should do this in california. But more importantly, they should enforce the autobahn law that states if you're traveling the same speed as the cars in the lane to the right of you, you legally have to be in that lane. And, if nobody is in the lane to the right of you, you have to use that lane. No more fucking tetris traffic.