Barry McGee "Mural" on Houston Street and Bowery

blackhills

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from OSGEMEOS Wiki

Their first significant artistic influence outside their immediate environment, and their limited access to American hip hop (Style Wars, Subway Art, Beat Street), stemmed from a chance encounter with Barry McGee (also known as Twist), who happened to be in Brazil for several months on a study program through the San Francisco Art Institute in 1993. Technique and experience were shared, and McGee provided them with a lot of photographic examples from the American graffiti scene. Through Barry McGee, Os Gemeos met Allen Benedikt (founder of 12oz Prophet Magazine and also part Brazilian), who together with Caleb Neelon (also known as Sonik) became the first to interview them after a trip to Brazil in 1997 (12oz Prophet Magazine Issue 6; 1998), which became Os Gemeos' introduction to audiences outside of South America.[4]

Lmfao.

you seriously tryin to counter my points with a godamned media source which is the same insignifigant bullshit im calling '88 on twon?

*C'mon son.

you just paparazzi'd yerself quicker than a princess di car crash.

FAIL.

then you have the odacity to quote the guys name? shit son i dont care if a writers given name is kintafuckinkoontay you sound like a fagget dropping it.

the bay has more style, more history, more influence, more dopeness than any other place iv ever been. but that doesnt make the cheerleaders whom documented it heisman winners. it makes them the media.

So Martha Cooper and Henry Chalfant aren't important enough to be called Heisman winners?

and thats exactly what 88's doing talkin bout os fucking gemos taking influence from twist.

if yer gonna talk influence when speaking on graffiti writeres you dont know, best make it about what they put on walls and not who they burn joints with. cause i smoke joints with all kinds, graff writers to mechanics, mechanics to line cooks. dont mean its relevant to a fucking graffiti conversation.

Need I remind you that you're on a fucking internet forum? What the fuck do you expect! It's all about discussion and people are going to be dropping opinions and comments that they've gathered over time. It doesn't matter if they were there or not, know them or not, painted with them or not --IT'S THE FUCKING INTERNET. 1988 was talking about an actual fact, that was documented, not "hear say." It wasn't a Brad and Jennifer Anniston type of situation, it's an actual fact that was documented in print, before the internet. People read things and remember shit, then bring it up in conversation because of that, and this conversation was relevant to that. That's how it goes.

You run your mouth off a whole hell of a lot about graffiti and how it should be, what it's about, what it means, and you come off holier than thou a lot of times. You didn't invent this shit man, so you're just as guilty of the same crime you're throwing stones about.

holy shit this is getting funny... i dont wanna get into some E battle about style and influence AT ALL especially with the parties involved BUT i will say this for a FACT... TWIST taught the twins HOW TO TAG. period hands down. they evolved and got very good at tagging but twist was their base and foundation to where they are now TAGGING wise. not art or murals but TAGGING. just please keep your arguments to facts...

Weird; we finally had an interesting thread with somewhat intelligent debate, people with actual knowledge were sharing it with people who had a genuine interest in hearing it... and then COS forgot his meds, rolled in talking complete nonsense, and the thread devolved into another random image depository.

I haven't seen that happen since... oh, about the last time Channel 0 was good.

Haha, good point LUGR.

COS, I'm not going to get into a post by post analysis explaining why you sound like an idiot. But I think everyone can agree that:

1) people who know their history on a given topic (because they have devoted countless hours to studying it) have more credibility than those who don't, and

2) one artist teaching another style and technique would fall under the definition of "influence". Also,

3) if the parties involved in point #2 are generally considered some of the top practitioners of their medium in the world, then that aforementioned influence probably warrants discussion by people who are fans of that particular medium. (See point #1)

Thank you Earl, Harvey and others for basically summing it up for me. Heres part of an interview with Os Gemeos...

Where do you get your inspiration from? Are there any writers or other artists you would name that you looked up to, or still do?

WHEW!!!! A lot of things! A lot of people! We feel that everything we love or hate influences us. The life, the food, love, sex, graffiti, street theater, the circus, vandalism, the night, nature... The simple and magical moments of life... Back in 1989 we met SPETO (an old-school writer from Sao Paulo) he painted graffiti and did animation. For that time, he had a very particular and unique style. It was very original, and let us practice more and more our own style. At this time, we did lettering like "Wild Style" and so we exchanged a lot of information. We learned from him that we could do our own style and that we just had to find it. We have to mix in everything we like and then see the result. We showed SPETO style writing and "Wild Style" letters and he showed us how to find our own style. Before that, we did a lot of B-Boy characters and mugs (DOZE GREEN style) and were really influenced by Vaughn Bode's characters, SKEME, TACK, and Japanese Manga. At the beginning of the 1990's we met Barry McGee (TWIST). He came to Brazil in 1993 to do an art residency and exhibitions in Sao Paulo. It was the first time, we met a writer from abroad and he showed us a lot. Especially style writing, more original styles and how we can do a lot more with lesser colours. He also showed us the movie "Style Wars" for the first time! After we saw that, we went to the yard the following Sunday afternoon and painted our first train... He showed us the bombing side of graffiti and we had a lot of fun with

throw-ups, tags, etc. After that, we realized that we can use the city in different ways, before the city uses us!

http://stylefile-magazine.com/179-0-Os+Gemeos.html

I'm at work now... But, I'd be happy to join the discussion later (possibly).

• Like 2