Barry McGee "Mural" on Houston Street and Bowery

blackhills

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont give a fuck what webster's your referring to how the fuck you gonna compare Twist to Os Gemos.

was he an influence to them? of course, its fucking Twist. arguably the greatest handstyle of all time and one of the pioneering next gen's to overcome the past and push graffiti limits from chicken scratch scribble to artistic genious in the minds of writers and general population alike.

but thats like saying black n white television was a great influence on hdmi. of course it was, without b&w thered be no hidef. but its the evelution preceeding the caveman.

cmon_son_mousepad-p144935589099192328trak_4001.jpg

COS --I think he's talking about the fact that Twist went to Sao Paulo and spent time with The Twins painting in the early 90's. If I remember correctly from the interview, he taught them a lot while he was down there, like how to work a flare. He wasn't comparing them to Twist.

OH, but wait! This is Ch.0, I just have a computer. I don't know what I'm talking about.

lol

nobodys umad, its just a useless tidbit of an infomercial on sprayon hairlines. the fuck does someone painting with another someone(s) have to do with actual graffiti. or in this case "influence"

influence is about style and/or code. not some frivilous mumbo jumbo about drinking beers and painting free for all 3rd world shantys.

if you didnt start writing in the 00's should be aware of this.

no you shouldnt, you should be aware that biting is a sin, the internet is the worst thing you can look at as a budding writer and taking easy assed cop out hipster grafftastic steelo straight off the hop dont make you dope.

weather you started writing in 70's/80's/90's or 2000's all you need to be aware of is whats acceptable, whats not. whats dope, and what aint.

thats it thats all.

• Like 1

the fuck does someone painting with another someone(s) have to do with actual graffiti. or in this case "influence"

influence is about style and/or code. not some frivilous mumbo jumbo about drinking beers and painting free for all 3rd world shantys.

I think it's more about the hands on influence Twist had with The Twins during his trip that 1988 was talking about. He wasn't talking about drinking beers and painting shantys. He was talking about Twist actually influencing them technically and style wise in person, not like the influence Twist stickers in a magazine influenced some kid in Detroit. So I think actually painting WITH Twist back then did have a huge influence on them both technically and stylistically.

And I think doing something with others, not just graffiti, always has an influence on individuals looking to learn. I learned how to ollie because a friend of mine learned first. He then taught me while we were skating together. Then we started pushing each other by setting up decks, then steps, and so on and so on. I think same probably goes for a lot of people in graffiti as well.

absolutely, couldnt agree more.

however why bother even bringing that up if you know neither parties being discussed. if the point was more about how/if os gemos painted strictly characters until Twist came down and showed them the art of tags and thats how they(strictly ficticious) became king handstylists it would be relevant.

otherwise its just corny fanboy talk along the lines of "hey did you know that jennifer aniston was dating ben stiller before she married brad pitt"

useless for the topic at hand.

benching isnt a sport, painting is.

iv met grey haired factory workers with grafftastic photo albums from freight yards you wouldnt believe. does that make them a focal point? no, it makes them a blink.

the bay has more style, more history, more influence, more dopeness than any other place iv ever been. but that doesnt make the cheerleaders whom documented it heisman winners. it makes them the media.

and thats exactly what 88's doing talkin bout os fucking gemos taking influence from twist.

if yer gonna talk influence when speaking on graffiti writeres you dont know, best make it about what they put on walls and not who they burn joints with. cause i smoke joints with all kinds, graff writers to mechanics, mechanics to line cooks. dont mean its relevant to a fucking graffiti conversation.

absolutely, couldnt agree more.

however why bother even bringing that up if you know neither parties being discussed. if the point was more about how/if os gemos painted strictly characters until Twist came down and showed them the art of tags and thats how they(strictly ficticious) became king handstylists it would be relevant.

Yes, both parties were being discussed when 1988 said his original comment, before you jumped in and shit on it like it was retard babble. He was actually dropping a fact and you sounded like you were dismissing it as bullshit. The point wasn't about how they painted strictly characters or how they became "king handstylists." The point was that Twist did have an actual influence on them during his trip. Which is a relevant point to a thread about Twist.

from OSGEMEOS Wiki

Their first significant artistic influence outside their immediate environment, and their limited access to American hip hop (Style Wars, Subway Art, Beat Street), stemmed from a chance encounter with Barry McGee (also known as Twist), who happened to be in Brazil for several months on a study program through the San Francisco Art Institute in 1993. Technique and experience were shared, and McGee provided them with a lot of photographic examples from the American graffiti scene. Through Barry McGee, Os Gemeos met Allen Benedikt (founder of 12oz Prophet Magazine and also part Brazilian), who together with Caleb Neelon (also known as Sonik) became the first to interview them after a trip to Brazil in 1997 (12oz Prophet Magazine Issue 6; 1998), which became Os Gemeos' introduction to audiences outside of South America.[4]

He was actually dropping a fact and you sounded like you were dismissing it as bullshit.

a useless fact with nothing to do with nothing other than the fact canada ivented basketball. nobody (should) care(s) and its absolutely irrelevant to anything. graffiti and graffiti writers are what they put on walls. if you do not know them, tho we are all curious of the unkown, nothing should matter other than the style they coined and the letters they paint.

anything else is irrelevant and shouldnt be discussed unless your a fucking cop stringing someones life and actions together.

The point was that Twist did have an actual influence on them during his trip. Which is a relevant point to a thread about Twist.

i completly disagree.

and not because apparently it seems to appear were having a clash of the titans pissing contest right now but because im right.