Barry McGee "Mural" on Houston Street and Bowery

blackhills

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely feel you on the "punk isn't punk anymore" thing, 1000%. I was going to mention that along with the fact that the wall isn't trying to be "subversive" or anything else that people were calling this stuff a decade ago. But I don't think this is irony for irony's sake either. They did this same thing in San Diego as part of a commission by the Museum of Contemporary Art, and the community was so outraged that it got buffed within a few days. My guess is that's the best reaction these dudes could hope for, rather than something that makes the average Joe say "hey, maybe graffiti isn't so bad."

And I know the timeline, Barry started showing in galleries in '91 and was doing major installations by the mid 90's. Other "fine" artists were definitely biting his style by the mid 90's as well. I referred to 1990 because that was the last time that that style would have been nearly impossible to find in that sort of venue. Yes, there had been paintings with drips in them, but I think it's pretty clear that he was using them in a way that was new to your average art collector. And obviously Barry (and Ralph Steadman) came from a long line of character artists, but again, I think everyone can probably agree that he started doing them in a way that no one had ever really seen before, and that we've all seen copied a whole lot since.

I do hope that once this has it's run, the twin's mural sees the light of day again, and I know a lot of the neighborhood feels the same way.

and I would love to see him take a crack at this wall sometime too.

the twins wall was purchased LONG ago and will not be on display again. they were waiting until the LAST Detich wall was done, which is THIS wall running now. the Houston wall will NOT be done again and the gemeos wall will be removed and put in its new home...

adding my commentary to this art debate woud just be stirring more shit and i will not fuel the fire.. but i will say alot of people talk about art thinking they are really versed in artist or collecting...

Chris Angel makes Jim J. Bullock look like Joseph Stalin.

criss_angel_04.jpg

And yeah Gooch --I used Jim J. again!

I'm just saying, there's something about a man who wears crushed velvet suits and boas that just ain't right. I think gays should bash this guy for trying to steal their thunder.

I'd like to burn this guy and Dave Navarro at the stake like it's a Salem Witch trial.

• Like 1

I don't think what I have to add to the conversation would make much sense without a point of reference, and that definitely involves personal business that needs to stay between me and my friends/acquaintances.

Barry is a good guy, let's leave it at that.